Opinions on Ultima GTR

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
For some reason I've got my mind set on an Ultima GTR and as usual I just can't let go.

Anybody here who has one?

It looks like a mighty car that could beat anything as it's so light. It's beating Top Gear's lap records would beat a Bugatti Veyron ... but how is it in reality. Is it fun to drive, is it modern handling.... lot's of questions

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Don't own one but thought about building one myself years ago. An Ultima is best summarized as "a race car you can drive on the street", vs. a FGT is a "street car you can drive on the track." I suspect it would be noise and uncomfortable for long drives on the public roads, but very fun on the road race course.

Another thing to consider is where the roll cage is. I also look at a Noble and the roll bar was right next to my temple! If I was ever hit from the side without a helmet, it would be very bad.

Last edited:

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I've been talking with a guy who has a Can-am and says it's a real fun car to drive. He installed an Audi V8 engine in it with 550hp. A remark was don't be too tall as it's a real climb into and out the car. He clearly hasn't driven an FGT yet. Especially when it's parked between cars.
They really seem like a nice toy. With that LS7 engine and eventually a supercharger or and Audi V10 it really could be a nice thing.

Belgiumbarry

Sep 3, 2009
Don't own one but thought about building one myself years ago. An Ultima is best summarized as "a race car you can drive on the street", vs. a FGT is a "street car you can drive on the track." I suspect it would be noise and uncomfortable for long drives on the public roads, but very fun on the road race course.

Another thing to consider is where the roll cage is. I also look at a Noble and the roll bar was right next to my temple! If I was ever hit from the side without a helmet, it would be very bad.

that is correct.... a roll cage , sure with also the front tubes,is only safe with a helmet ...here i give some show for my son to take a pic during a test drive .... without helmet.... and yes, i banged my head ....:ack
IMG_0511.JPG

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
There's one on ebay now, with a gajillion horsepower, in the brightest arrest-me-yellow you've ever seen.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
There's one on ebay now, with a gajillion horsepower, in the brightest arrest-me-yellow you've ever seen.

I've seen both on Ebay. The yellow one's got far too much HP and probably impossible to use as a street car. The red one is a perfect example. It belonged to Al (FGT member here) but I prefer a fuel injected LS7 engine which is far more reliable. 720hp with 990kg (2200lbs) should be more then sufficient.
I found several in UK but all of them got the steeringwheel on the wrong side. Switching the steering wheel isn't that easy it seems and costly.

Boostaddiction

Oct 19, 2010
The Ultima is a pretty old design. The current iteration dates from the 80s or so, and shows it, IMO.

One alternative is the Superlite Coupe, from Superlitecars.com and Race Car replicas.. It is sort of an Ultima Mk2. Instead of a tube chassis with aluminum panels pop-riveted on, it uses an all-aluminum semi-monocoque chassis, can fit a wide variety of drivetrains (many of them use the FGT Ricardo transaxle, as it is bulletproof), has a decent interior, and does not suffer from having roll cage bars too close to your (or a passenger's) head. There are street and race versions.

FGT quotient: Race Car Replicas is a sponsor of the Ford GTs currently raced by the Robertsons in the ALMS series.

Here is one that was at SEMA last year in the Sebring booth:

SEMA2010050.jpg

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
That superlight coup looks amazing but I think it would be a problem getting it registered over here. Ultima is a car make and this is a straight kit car. Our government doesn't accept those.
That the design is a little older I don't care that much but am worried that the driving experience would be too old school as well. With a little luck I'll be able to do a testdrive in one to already get an impression. I want it to be civilised in day to day traffice and mean for my two weekly trips to Germany.