Opinions on 993 Porsche Turbo

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I have been hanging around the Porsche forums lately to get information and impressions about the 993 Porsche Turbo. I have zero experience with Porsches, but I think I might like the 993. I love the body style and interior. These cars seem to hold their value well, which is important to me in the event my German experiment fails and I want to unload it. Can anyone here offer any thoughts on this car?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
By far my favorite Pcar of all time.

I spent over two years of my life and a bunch of cash trying to track down a pristine 993TT. I finally gave up after many failed PPIs, owners that were less than trustful, and cars with too many stories.

My suggestion is figure out if you want a garage queen or a driver. If you want a driver look for one with higher miles and all the updates.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I have had several P cars over the years and always come back to the 96-97 993 turbos. This is the last 1 I purchased several years ago and likely the 1 I keep. It is 97 RUF turbo R conversion (converted by RUF but not and original RUF car). Anyway, really a joy.

232323232%7Ffp733%3A5%3Enu%3D569%3B%3E382%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D337%3A4288%3B3345nu0mrj

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I have had several P cars over the years and always come back to the 96-97 993 turbos. This is the last 1 I purchased several years ago and likely the 1 I keep. It is 97 RUF turbo R conversion (converted by RUF but not and original RUF car). Anyway, really a joy.

232323232%7Ffp733%3A5%3Enu%3D569%3B%3E382%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D337%3A4288%3B3345nu0mrj
Beautiful car Ben!!!!

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
I used to have a 993Turbo tuned by Speedart and was a wonderful car that gave me butterflies in the stomach. The 4x drive was excellent even with spirited driving in the rain but when you lost it... it was gone.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The 993 turbo is a wonderful car. I sure do love the 993 body style

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks everyone.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i used to own one as well, they are great cars, and they do keep their value much better than the 997's, mostly because there are just less of them around, I too think they have great lines.
carsandcoffee8-2-08017.jpg

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
i used to own one as well, they are great cars, and they do keep their value much better than the 997's, mostly because there are just less of them around, I too think they have great lines.
carsandcoffee8-2-08017.jpg

More importantly, they were the last of the great air cooled 911's.

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005
All versions of the 993 have been and will continue to go up in value. Last of the air cooled 911's, and arguably one of the best looking. Don't be surprised at the asking price if you stumble upon a '97 Turbo S as there were only 183 sold worldwide. The 97-98 are usually preferred for some updates to the transmission and ECU. These are actually very robust and reliable cars. If you buy a clean one you should have no trouble unloading if the experiment goes awry ;)

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
For one of the last aircooled Porsches I'd prefer the '93 911 Turbo with the 3,6L mono turbo. Such a nice design but good luck finding one. Had a '91 3.3 Turbo and a 3,3 turbo S but never could get the 3,6. => magnificant car and vicious as hell.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
I've had maybe 30 911s, 4 were 993s, 1 a 1996 993tt that I miss to this day. Had that car for about 2 years. Phenomenal power rush, way smoother than the 'old' turbos. Typically unburstable feel to suspension, brakes, body fitment, interior bits. Ergonomics pretty dated, but modern HVAC works excellent, as does steering. Far less bump steer than elder cars.

I did NOT like the 'drive block' theft deterrent system that requires you push the stupid key fob button at every start up, rendering you motionless if that battery fails. Most every other driving element after that minimal annoyance was a pure joy.

They DO have their problems, notably premature valve guide wear, so a car inching near 60k miles is likely to need it or to have had it done. This is hotly debated on Pcar sites, but just be safe going in. Another are the turbo bearings, which have a drain back valve that clogs over time, and the galls/cooks the bearings. About a 3grand ordeal, and many people upgrade to 'hybrid' turbos during the fix.

Other than this, they tend to leak oil a bit, which for an obsessive like me is not cool. Yet many just live with it unless excessive. Service records are an absolute must. As is a PPi.

It's a bit of a misnomer to call these 'air cooled' (though not incorrect) when you realize they're really 'oil cooled' and are pretty intolerant of lengthy oil change intervals. Porsches do not suffer being 'overheated' much nor does dirty oil do anyone (including the near microscopic oil capillary lines) any good. Fastidious records of 'on time' oil services are your friend.

The values have remained very solid, actually going up a bit over the last 3 years. Timeless styling, with the best 'rear end' (except for FGT!) you're likely to see in traffic, and typically Porsche quality make these an easy 'everyday supercar' choice. The only way to go bad wrong with your experiment is to pick a needy car.

Best wishes. Hope this helps.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Keep us updated. I too have desired this car for ages. Have other cars ahead of it on my wish list at the moment

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks all for the feedback. It seems a nice lower mileage '96-97 turbo is in $70-90k range. I am going to push my luck and see if my wife falls for the old "it's an investment" con yet again.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
You could consider a Carrera GT as well.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
You could consider a Carrera GT as well.

They are very nice but I could not bring myself to pay that much for one car. The FGT was more than I ever thought I would pay for an automobile.

mike becks

GT Owner
Aug 7, 2006
Dania
the only ting wrong with that air sucker is ,it`s not yours. yet.DO IT they are killer sleds .I`ve owner several 993`s. right now I have a 73 rs clone that is spot on.and it is my favorate car ever.i love my gt but my 911 is great. I live in cocoa if your in town give me a hlller aqnd good luck.

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
Thanks all for the feedback. It seems a nice lower mileage '96-97 turbo is in $70-90k range. I am going to push my luck and see if my wife falls for the old "it's an investment" con yet again.

Lmao. I thought I was the only poor schmuck that had to do this

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Lmao. I thought I was the only poor schmuck that had to do this

No, there are plenty of us out there.

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Carrera GT: Although it's lots of money it's one of the better looking cars and the FGT era. Raw power and not too much electronics.
A german dealer told me they increase in value about 10k a year... That's including lots of exagertion but still they keep their value.
I'd rather spend 300k on a car that holds it's price vs a 250k car that depreciates as hell.