Onboard fire suppression

PolitoFordRacing

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Apr 24, 2018
Lindsay Ontario Canada
We are beginning to develop a onboard fire suppression system for the NGT as another option to the temperature activated system.
My thoughts were that this system would be electronically deployable at the first indication of a problem. The system uses Novec which is a clean alternative to Halon gas.
I will be installing this 4 nozzle system in the engine bay of our comp car and have more pictures and information as it progresses.
gt fire system.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please keep us informed. Do you think it can be self-installed?

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
great!!

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
I'm certain many of us will be interested in this. Thank you.

Vince H

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
I have been thinking about this a lot after seeing the picture of the silver GT that burned up. I am interested. Very curious of where in the world this thing is going to go though!! Not as much room on this car as the 05/06.

Last edited:

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
I have been thinking about this a lot after seeing the picture of the silver GT that burned up. I am interested. Very curious of where in the world this thing is going to go though!! Not as much room on this car as the 05/06.

On the roof. Duh.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
We are beginning to develop a onboard fire suppression system for the NGT as another option to the temperature activated system.
My thoughts were that this system would be electronically deployable at the first indication of a problem. The system uses Novec which is a clean alternative to Halon gas.
I will be installing this 4 nozzle system in the engine bay of our comp car and have more pictures and information as it progresses.
View attachment 51883

Two questions. What is a clean alternative to Halon? Halon is a residue free, clean inert gas. that's why they use it in computer rooms excetera.. second question. how does an electrical system give you 24-hour protection without pulling down the battery? these cars do not like external power drains..

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Novec is the clean (i.e., zero ozone depletion and safe for electronics) alternative to halon.

Halon is an ozone layer destroyer, which is why it's going the way of freon and other CFCs.

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Novec is the clean (i.e., zero ozone depletion and safe for electronics) alternative to halon.

Halon is an ozone layer destroyer, which is why it's going the way of freon and other CFCs.

Ah.. thank you for the information on the gas clarification..

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, he is full of gas.

PolitoFordRacing

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Apr 24, 2018
Lindsay Ontario Canada
I am unsure if it will be suitable for self install yet. It would be dependent on what difficulties I encounter with running the wiring.
While the system wouldn't provide 24 hour protection as a thermal activated system , you would be able to deploy it instantly while behind the wheel should the need arise. The power pack has no connection to the car.
It would come down to personal preference for what system to use.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Interesting!