On Track Impressions - Ford GT

GT Bill

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2007
California
Fellow Ford GT Nuts,

I race a Spec Miata in SCCA (now don't laugh - I ran down a Porsche Carrera GT in the corners at the Pantera Club event. And the track record during an SCCA race at Willow Springs is 1:36 sec set by a 120 HP SM. A ZO6 with 400HP driven by my friend Rod - see below - does it in 1:32 sec), but I haven't taken my GT to the track yet. So I have wondered just how the car handles at speed.

Rod is a friend of mine and fellow racer. He is a very good driver and a very good instructor.

Yesterday he drove a Ford GT at Willow Springs. Below is his driving impression of the car. Since you are all Ford GT nuts, I thought you might enjoy a non-car magazine evaluation.

GT Bill

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2008 6:46 AM
To: Bill Nelson
Subject: Ford GT

Okay Bill, now I can finally comment on what a Ford GT is like on the track and generally. I'm out at Willow where you should be at the Cobra Club event. Yesterday, a Ford GT owner asked me to take him for a ride in his car. I told him I'd never sat in the left seat of a GT but that was fine with him. Danny and another instructor had taken him for rides and he wanted my perspective too.

After his ride, he insisted I take all his family and friends out. I got a fair amount of track time by the time I did all that. Both of us were impressed. The car is stock with stock tires. The ride caused him to ask a lot of good questions and he said he learned more riding with me that one time than he had all day.

What a wonderful car! It was really easy to drive. I got used to it right away. The limitation is the tires. As good as the GY F1 Supercar tires are, they give you a squishy feel at times. It's obvious that the car is a lot better than the tires (as with the Porsche Carrera GT) which introduces the only imprecision to the driving experience.

For that reason (and the fact that I was, of course, going to be careful not to hurt someone else's very fine car by going off), I didn't slide around all that much... just a little here and there when I considered it super safe. In fact, on those occasions, a quick correction was all it took.... no drama, ever. It became obvious to me how much the tires were really limiting the car when I couldn't easily get it down the the apex at 8 one lap. When that happened, I just drove a high line at less speed rather than force it to apex because it felt as though a big slide would result (no problem normally to experiment that way but I would only do that if I owned the car).

The car felt very solid and always controllable (again, despite the limitations of the tires) and very easy to balance in any situation. With some tires of the RA1 type, this car would be really formidable without any modifications. The tires would simply match the car's capabilities.

I was also very impressed by the ergonomics. The driving position, the controls, etc. And the car shifts better than any car I've ever driven. That's really saying something for me because the best shifting car previously (for me) has always been the Lotus Elan. That's always been my standard.

All in all, I think you're lucky to have gotten one of these guys. Great machine! Hope you'll try it out on the track some day. You'll love it.

Rod

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
great info, thanks for posting.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
:thumbsup Get it out on teh track... the car will make you feel like a pro driver.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Fantastic !@!

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
GT

Rod -

Good evaluation. Now go try it with T&A (Penske) shocks, lower it 1.5 inches and do a Roush numbers alignment, + Hoosier R6's - and you will REALLY be impressed. What a car!

By the way - I spent 3 days at the Skip Barber School in a spec. Miata at Road Atlanta. Had a total blast and drove the wheels of the thing. Wore me out! Got fairly close to my 911 times!

Had several Pro racers in our group who use those cars to keep their skills honed. One from Sweden! Anyone wanting to learn how to drive fast should seriously consider a Miata. It's all momentum and precision inputs. Anything you learn in the Miata will translate to other cars. And it's a cheap way to get good track time.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
and those Miata's bounce real nice when they come together......great spectator sport! ;)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
15 years in a SCCA specracer here, Miata's are a fantastic track car! His comments on the GT on the track are spot on. I have now taken out the car now with the stock GY's and then later on R6's and the difference is beyond words. Car comes alive, and the ability to get the power to the pavement after apex is amazing. This is all with a stock suspension. Now get yours out there, it really is fun, and it will give you a huge smile.