On the road to Rally 8? Check in here.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
We'll be on the road in 8 hours. Lord willing and the river don't rise, Monday evening we'll be stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Safe travels, Gary. Post some pics!

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Car is en route, left today. Three Red and one Tungsten loaded. I leave Thursday for S. Carolina, yes, I know its the wrong way! I am delivering furniture and my wife to our daughter's family, and then flying to Sacramento on Saturday, Lord willing. Then Sunday the driving and fun really begins!

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
My wife and I head out on Friday with the GT in tow taking the southern route. Expect to be in Sonoma on the 2nd. Told her today that I had worked out the route and logistics for the trip which included this: IMG_1224 small.jpg

Explained to her that this would save time on the road and we wouldn't have to mess with checking in and out of a motel. Her answer back was she feels a headache coming on that I should not plan on her company on this trip!

Guess I'd better move to plan "B" and book some rooms.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Safe travels to everyone...

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
Magic, I feel your pain my wife’s idea of roughing it is a Holiday Inn without a pool and spa. Travel safe and see you in NAPA.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That is a great rig on your rig!

Amy's Phase 1 plan is already out the window. We were all packed and too wired to sleep, so we left seven hours early. Eighteen hours later, we are in a hotel west of Dallas. Two days travel in one day.

I also thought the fuel filler flap broke on the Touareg. Nozzle would not go in. 20 min later, 20 gal had dribbled in. Amy googled the problem and came up with wrong size nozzle. Sure enough, those BP bastards had put an unleaded nozzle on the diesel pump. :facepalm: :bang

Day 1. 1,183 miles. 19 hours. 14-15 mpg. Day 1.JPG

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Travel safe fellow road warriors!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Gary,
Impressive day of driving but don't wear out before you get there. Be safe.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Safety first! Amy is now a qualified trailer tower, so we're sharing the driving. I think we will apply our gained day to two overnights in Albuquerque, with a day trip in the GT to Santa Fe.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sure enough, those BP bastards had put an unleaded nozzle on the diesel pump.View attachment 30406

That's so customers have the option to put diesel into their gasoline cars. :ack

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
We'll be on the road in 8 hours. Lord willing and the river don't rise, Monday evening we'll be stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again.

Lot's of merlot waiting for you here in CA!

Rally VIII Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
All that merlot must be good for something. Tie-dyeing t-shirts?

Passed through Tucumcari NM on our way to Albuquerque today. When I was a teenager growing up on the east coast, many of these cool western US town names held a lot of romantic appeal. Having come of age with Tod and Buz on Route 66, who got a new Corvette every year without having to work, I'd dream of traveling to these places. It's been decades since I've been through here. Not a ghost town, but not a lot going for it either. Who remembers this classic Lowell George tune, perhaps made more popular by Linda Ronstadt's cover?

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonopah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
And you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin'

5D3_5222.jpg

5D3_5238.jpg

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Trent needs to make you a 6 foot poster of that shot, a Classic.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Awesome picks and I agree that needs to be a poster in the garage!:thumbsup
A little something to help get you along your way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZ1k4d02KA

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
^^^ OMG! I'm 13 again.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Great pictures Gary! Keep them coming.

What trailer do you have?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Paul...Trailex.

Drove 66 through downtown Albuquerque in the GT this evening. It's a cruising boulevard, but really no charm. Highlight was driving by UNM and having coeds clutching their hearts and swooning. Yes! Just ask Amy.

Last edited:

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Unload the GT & take some photos! They would be fantastic.

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ed, If I had taken everyone's advice and put ETrack in the trailer, I'd be doing more unloading for photo ops. :lol