OK--How long to warm tires to avoid a crackup?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
i have left the starting line twice at the Silver State Classic on cold tires set at 36 psi cold when the air temp was in the 50's. as a rookie there my first time ever in 2006 i proceeded to hit 165 mph 1 mile after the starting line and drove the first 70 miles of the 90 mile course at an average speed of 160 mph before i slowed down......

LARGE-silverstate.jpg

Last edited:

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
Fast Freddy,

2006 was the year that I blew my engine into pieces 5 miles from the finish line at the Silver State running in the Unlimited class and averaging (up to that point) 200 mph. The next two years, 2007 & 2008 I won the Unlimited Class at average speeds of 198 MPH. The coldest I have EVER started the Silver State or the Nevada Open Road Challenge was about 55 degrees, but we do start well after the 150 MPH class.

Richard Hille
The GT School
7 Time USAS 200 MPH Club Member

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I drive mine in the cold all the time. Just don't get on it. Don't let your "friends" talk you into showing off, and NEVER drink and drive this car.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Fast Freddy,

2006 was the year that I blew my engine into pieces 5 miles from the finish line at the Silver State running in the Unlimited class and averaging (up to that point) 200 mph. The next two years, 2007 & 2008 I won the Unlimited Class at average speeds of 198 MPH. The coldest I have EVER started the Silver State or the Nevada Open Road Challenge was about 55 degrees, but we do start well after the 150 MPH class.

Richard Hille
The GT School
7 Time USAS 200 MPH Club Member

yes Richard since i am in the 150 mph Grand Sport Class our class is the first class to take the track. we leave the starting line early in the AM when its cold and since you are in the unlimited class your class leaves the starting line last in the afternoon when its 20 degrees warmer :thumbsup

i 2006 when i started my viper at 5:00 am or whenever it was my windshield was frozen with ice and the air temp was 19 degrees as i caravaned 50 miles from Ely with all the other race cars some 40 miles to pre-grid. when i left that starting line i was the 7th car out and it was 50 degrees :eek

here is a link to the minimum and maximum temperature that very day in Ely >>>>>> http://www.wunderground.com/history...tml?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I drive mine in the cold all the time. Just don't get on it. Don't let your "friends" talk you into showing off, and NEVER drink and drive this car.

I thought I remembered you telling me "RED" was the fastest color......... now I get it you are looking for a personal contribution! :cheers2.

cough, what do you want me to say Doc?

Wimpy? boy or boy the hits keep coming :thumbsup:willy:rofl:biggrin

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Have to agree that the road temp is more important than the tire temp. Even on a nice sunny day the roads won't get to the temp the tires need no matter how long you have turned them.
I learned this the first year I had my car and went for a nice sunny day drive on a cool day and quickly had the car sideways. Called on my years of ice rallying to drive it out straight and ended without incident.

:cheers
Trent

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
I had a scary moment on a day when I never would have expected it. It was a nice afternoon and a friend of mine and I met at Alice's Restaurant at the intersections of 84 and 35 here in the SF Bay Area. We were on our way to Monterey for a track day at Laguna Seca the next day. I had driven at a pretty good pace for about an hour to get to Alice's, then we had lunch and left about an hour later. We were heading towards the coast on 84 not more than a few minutes away from Alice's when all of a sudden I felt the back end of the car start to slide a tiny bit to the right as I was going around a left hand turn. Then as I exited the turn the rear of the car started to drift left into the lane of oncoming traffic. This happens to be a stretch of road that is so overgrown with trees that even on a really bright day, as that day was, the road is always in shadow. Before I knew it, the rear end of the car was completely in the lane of oncoming traffic (thankfully no one was there). It felt like I was back in NY in the winter and driving on ice. No warning no, excessive speed, no throttle lift off, nothing. I had merely been cruising around the corner like I would in any other car at a very reasonable pace. I was quickly able to correct it and get the car going the way I wanted, but it was pretty spooky because of how completely smooth, and unexpected it all was. Plus there were barriers on both sides of the road just waiting for the car to brush (or crash into) them. The next day I was just a bit more timid with the car than I had been on the last track outing because the track was on and off overcast the entire day.

Michael

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
They are gonna be slick no matter how long you drive unless you are driving agressive and that I dont recommend. Rule of thumb, dont drive agressive in cold weather. Its just not worth it.....

+ 1 .. You also need to remember that in cold weather it's double trouble More power and less grip. The best rule to keep you out of trouble is just make sure your pointed straight before you jump on the gas... :biggrin

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
let's NOT wreck it!

After studiously reading this thread, I have some observations and then questions for those that 'have been there, done that' and know far more than me. I've been 'sideways' many times, as we all have, and usually it's intentional on a track in Z06, P-car, BMW or whatever, but never in an FGT. Now from reading lotsa instructional tomes, we can easily acquire the intellectual knowledge that when close to the edge of oversteer a sudden lift is easily the best way to turn an 'exciting' situation into a potentially disastrous one---but it's not intuitive when in the cockpit that staying in the throttle while perhaps ever so slitely modulating downward is the correct thing to do. Knowing something in one's head, doesn't always allow one to 'do the proper thing' during the exigencies of the moment. Hence, many of us, I would posit, must learn this lesson in real life---and a Porsche is a 'great' teacher of this truth. To paraphrase (with apologies to Animal Farm), 4 rubber patches good, 2 rubber patches bad.

Having learned that, I drive my Z06 in any temperature!! With the appropriate awareness that tyre and surface temp changes things drastically. This car is way lighter than FGT... and stronger(but that's another story). And I'm not being saved by electronics. One learns that the GY F1's quickly work harden from heat cycling and are slippery as cow-snot, so I'm on Mich PS2's now.

Are you gents saying that the FGT is somehow a different beast, and that the cold-weather driving skills one has acquired from other grotesquely overpowered creatures, as well as that tough taskmaster the P-car, don't apply??

Oh yes, and rain... well that's a whole 'nother level of loss of adhesion. We'll save that one for later.

Please educate me b4 I'm off in the ditch!

As always thanks, bma2

Last edited:

Pete S.

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2006
MA
For my experience only, the car first began breaking loose with the back end sliding into the left lane where a car was alongside me going in the same direction. Rather than do anything I considered drastic at the time, I tried to keep the tires spun up in order to bring it back to straight, but went a bit to far and looped it once. I always use the "turkey drumstick" when considering the difference between these and other front engine cars, as the heavy end will naturally wish to lead; in our case, the back of the car. Just my opinion as to how it "felt".

Pete S.

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
So are we saying GY F1's are less than adequate performers unless they're warm?
Or the polar moment of the FGT is difficult to control?

By the way, has anyone yet explained to congress how much the country would save in energy costs if they'd simply repeal the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007

By the way, has anyone yet explained to congress how much the country would save in energy costs if they'd simply repeal the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics?

Have you purchased a FGT yet bma2? Have not heard from you in a while....

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB

With this kind of HP I believe all brands are less than adequate unless they are warm.
Heat = soft = sticky
You don't see burnouts at the track for the smoke show:biggrin

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
temperatures & driving

I drive at all temps with no problems. I did learn to drive in Alaska so I guess I have the experience. I've ridden motorcycles on the street in below zero temps so driving my GT in sub-50 temps is no problem. Like DBK says - less aggressiveness is the answer.

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
EP lives in cold rainy WA, and he never had any problems! :lol

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I agree with Ed.. learning how to drive in the Canadian North may have something to do with it but just use common sense and respect for the car and you should be ok...

34F the other night... testing my Heritage TT on stock tires pulling low 5 sec 60-130 times does not seem like such a good idea now :willy

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Softer compound tires will warm up quicker .ie Hoosiers .Also bumping up tire pressures 5-lbs will make the tires heat up faster .Be careful not to over inflate .

REDEEMED

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 10, 2008
I agree we all need to be careful not to overinflate... it's also risky to put too much air in your tyres.

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Tire pressure

Boys,
What tire pressure you running???

FRONTS

REARS...........You running the same in all 4 or different???????

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Hoosiers On The Street 36 Front 34 Rear
On The Track 34 F 32 R