OIL usage question

2fast4u

FORD GT OWNER
Feb 9, 2006
MA and GA
I am going to be doing a oil change in a couple weeks. I looked in the oil thread and it said how to do it but i want other info.. What types of oil have you guys used besided the spec ford oil..

thanks

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Why would you want to use another type of synthetic?

Motorcraft 5-50 meets ALL 'requirements and (naturally) Ford wants owners to use it in the GT, and you know you can't possibly have any engine "warranty issues" down the road if you do, so why bother with anything else?

'Just curious. Not criticising!

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
So far I think CastrolSyntec is the only option. Mobil 1 is supposedly coming out with a 5-50

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I believe Mobil sells a 5w-50 in Europe, but it is not available in the US.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
This has been discussed ad naseaum. You can do a search but at the end of the day you'll find most agree that for a myriad of reasons Motorcraft is the only way to go.

2fast4u

FORD GT OWNER
Feb 9, 2006
MA and GA
thanks for help I guess i will go with motor craft

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Used Mobile 1 5-50 on the first change about 1 1/2 years ago. My dealer didn't stock the Motorcraft 5-50 so they recommended M1.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I like the Ford oil, gone thru a ton of it and always stock it.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Wonder if Motorcraft is made by Exon? Damn stock went down today...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Wonder if Motorcraft is made by Exon? Damn stock went down today...

Conoco Phillips

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Conoco Phillips

+2 .... You can buy it direct from Conoco as their branded 5-50 is EXACTLY the same oil. Save a few GT tax $'s .

Local Pep Orielly Zone should be able to order it for you and have it in a day or two.

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
I used the Casteroil 5-50 full synthetic. It specifically states that it meets the Ford spec# listed in the GT service manual.

Don't have a local Ford dealer near me nor do I care to pay the FGT tax for oil which IMO is a fairly common commodity.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
What does the aftermarket stuff cost per quart then ? I sell Ford parts for a living so I get good deals on this stuff personally just curious ?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Castrol goes on sale for $5.29

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
GT oil

My service tech mentioned that most Ford dealers are stocking the Motorcraft oil in quanity now.

Same oil/filter combo is being used on high perf. Mustangs.

Didn't think to ask if the Mustang oil is less expensive than the GT oil.:wink

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Gold Cap Oil

As many of you know from my previous posts on this topic I remain aligned with only using the Motorcraft 5W-50 oil developed exclusively for our MOD 5.4 GT engines. As infrequently as we need oil changes (except PL510*Jeff that is) in our engines, it just does not make "cents" to me to use any other oil. GT tax be danmed.

I am in the process of changing the oil in my GT currently and bought another case of the "new" Motorcraft WSS-M2C931-B oil with the gold cap. I had some remaining black cap M2C931-A oil remaining from my last change and note the new "B" oil appears a bit darker in color than the "A" fluid. This is likely an additave package change to the oil. Not that this is of any concern just an observation. The new "B" spec oil now states on the label it is "Designed, engineered and recommended for use in the Ford GT and Shelby GT500" applicatons so it now captures both applications. Also of interest on the new "B" gold cap bottle it states it is a "Product of Korea". Again, not that this is of any significance, but I find it interesting this verbage was not present on the black top "A" spec oil.

I hope to get a word with Jamal or Fred at the rally and ask if they have any information on this change. I too was under the impression the oil had been sourced to Phillips/Conoco which it still may be. But the Korea tiein is interesting....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I didn't know that Korea had any oil wells! :lol

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I didn't know that Korea had any oil wells! :lol

recycled from deep fat fryers? It's Bio OIL!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Did the "A" oil (Black Cap) have an API rating of SL? I know my "B" oil (Gold Cap) is SM. SM oils have a reduced level of ZDDP additive compared to SL (read more on this on pelicanparts.com, but be warned...it's an enormous thread). Newer engines won't know the difference, but older (80's and older) might.

Howard

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Did the "A" oil (Black Cap) have an API rating of SL? I know my "B" oil (Gold Cap) is SM. SM oils have a reduced level of ZDDP additive compared to SL (read more on this on pelicanparts.com, but be warned...it's an enormous thread). Newer engines won't know the difference, but older (80's and older) might.

Howard

Just back from the garage, the "A" oil (black cap) has an API service rating of SL.