Oil Smoking out Seams of the Muffler

Woodstock

GT Owner
Sep 14, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Has anyone heard of oil smoking out the seams of the Muffler? Just took delivery of this 2006 and it runs great but when I shut it off I smell oil burning and when I lift the engine cover it appears to have smoke coming out the seams on either side of the muffler? Any advice would be appreciated.

I really don't think it's oil, maybe residual fuel vaporizing.....

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
That should be a sealed unit. It may have been washed and some type of cleaner/polish is just baking off. If you are certian it is coming from inside the canister let a dealership look at it.

Or just order one of the many after market exhaust systems offered for the GT.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Could it be just the "new" burning off the muffler? They may have put an anti corrosion coating on it at the factory that just has to burn off.

I doubt that the muffler is actually leaking out of the seams since it has to be airtight to function.

Woodstock

GT Owner
Sep 14, 2007
Tulsa, OK
After looking at it more closely after it had cooled off and cleaning the muffler with some cleaner I removed some black oily substance off the ends of the muffler. I suspect now it is quite possible that the detailers who detailed the car for the dealer before it was shipped may have oversprayed some type oil or detailing product on the ends of the muffler giving it the appearance of smoking at the seems. I'll just have to drive it a while and see if it doesn't burn itself clean. Thanks for all the feedback.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
I wouldn't worry too much, you'll probably get rid of it in a couple of months anyway

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Has anyone heard of oil smoking out the seams of the Muffler? Just took delivery of this 2006 and it runs great but when I shut it off I smell oil burning and when I lift the engine cover it appears to have smoke coming out the seams on either side of the muffler? Any advice would be appreciated.

Drive it faster and harder :thumbsup Don't worry, you'll soon go after market for heat and sound:banana

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Is the car new? Mine had a few smells at first as well. I believe it was a combo of new clutch, exhaust system and engine. It all went away after about 4 to 5 hundred miles. Probably nothing to worry about.:thumbsup