oil pressure

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
started up the ford gt after a winter rest. i always go thru the procedure used after oil change to turn engine over without starting to get oil pressure before i crank it up when the car has rested for a couple of months. i did not see oil pressure until after three 10 second crankings. on the fourth attempt there was oil pressure on the guage. i started engine and backed out of garage, then immediately shut it down as the guage again was at zero and the check engine light was on. the car had an oil change before i put it to sleep and oil was properly warmed and tested. the car was driven approximately 100 miles after the oil change with no malfunction. the oil tank is still full and no leaks. i expect that the oil pump is gear driven off the crank and have a hard time thinking that the pump failed as there were no mechanical sounds before the fall shut down and during start up attempt. therefore i suspect that the oil pressure sending unit or guage is faulty. however, being a cautious person i am still a bit afraid to start the engine. the nearest dealer that has a good ford gt tech is about 60 miles away, of course i wouldnt get even 1 mile if i truly have no pressure. does anyone have experience with the guage/sending unit failing?

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
The oil pump is belt driven and possibly broke. I don't think it is a common problem but is still possible. The sending unit is the more common cause.

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
thank you, however, the belt at the front of the engine is intact and not broken so i do still think the gauge or the sending unit is the issue.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If you are not faint of heart try removing the sending unit and give the engine a quick crank. The answer should become quickly evident. The clean up is dependent on the cautions taken.

TallCarGuy

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 2, 2006
Santa Ynez, California
If the battery is not fully charged, any one of those electric gauges can malfunction. You might put it on a charger, or if you used the factory trickle charger, you might check the output as they can go bad.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
After the oil drains out of the pump the car needs to be level in order to begin the initial pickup process. I'm not sure what your circumstances are but it is just a thought?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I can tell you that from experience, there is a 90%+ possibility that the gauge has failed - like numerous others. The car is very likely fine. FYI - you will not be able to see the small oil pump belt but it is very, very, unlikely that this would fail.

Please feel free to PM me if you need more help or would like to diagnose over the phone.

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
You have to pull the cover to see the belt. Not easy to reach but it can be done. Replace the sender for a quick do it yourself project and eliminate it as a problem.

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
thanks for all the good advice and i will start with the sending unit, check battery etc. good to have this forum to get advice and benefit of past experience with these great cars.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You can observe the gauge under key-on, key-off, start, run, etc. If the needle never moves at all, it is most likely a gauge. If there's even the slightest movement under any of these conditions, then you have a hope that it could be a sending unit (but the odds are against you). The oil pressure sending unit is very visible with the mid-pan removed and it is more or less under the oil filter cannister on the driver's side.

Aug 25, 2006
started up the ford gt after a winter rest. i always go thru the procedure used after oil change to turn engine over without starting to get oil pressure before i crank it up when the car has rested for a couple of months. i did not see oil pressure until after three 10 second crankings. on the fourth attempt there was oil pressure on the guage. i started engine and backed out of garage, then immediately shut it down as the guage again was at zero and the check engine light was on. the car had an oil change before i put it to sleep and oil was properly warmed and tested. the car was driven approximately 100 miles after the oil change with no malfunction. the oil tank is still full and no leaks. i expect that the oil pump is gear driven off the crank and have a hard time thinking that the pump failed as there were no mechanical sounds before the fall shut down and during start up attempt. therefore i suspect that the oil pressure sending unit or guage is faulty. however, being a cautious person i am still a bit afraid to start the engine. the nearest dealer that has a good ford gt tech is about 60 miles away, of course i wouldnt get even 1 mile if i truly have no pressure. does anyone have experience with the guage/sending unit failing?

The initial cycles to get pressure is normal

Now having said this; has she been on a tender?

My gut says that you have either;

1. The guage was simply dropped by the control module
2. The gauge is faulty
3. The sending unit failed

I would cycle the engine again in the "no start" mode and use this process as the basis to validate.

PM or call me if I can assist

Takes care

Shadowman

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Ah for the good ole' days of mechanical gauges. :bored

:usa

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
thanks again

its great to have access to all this experience and knowledge. i am proceeding with diagnosis and expect i will end up with a sender or gauge problem. the car was on a tender during its sleep time. there was the shot of oil pressure indicated on the gauge during the 'no start" phase so that makes me confident that i have pressure but the sender or gauge is faulty or not enough voltage to properly function. all acary stuff but i will report if its anything other than gauge/sender combo. thank you all.

gt40man

GT owner
Aug 27, 2007
oil pressure conclusion

engine is fine, oil pressure is fine. after getting all the input, i put the car back on the charger and despite the fact that it had a battery tender on over the winter it must have had insufficent voltage or? anyway, i cranked up the engine today and it had instant pressure on the gauge. i only have the ford pulley/tune but what a engine, what a car! i really miss driving it over the winter but it is not meant to plow snow.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Great news:

Call Torrie and get a back-up oil sending unit, they are not expensive and if Ford stops making them you will have one in stock. :thumbsup

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
engine is fine, oil pressure is fine. after getting all the input, i put the car back on the charger and despite the fact that it had a battery tender on over the winter it must have had insufficent voltage or? anyway, i cranked up the engine today and it had instant pressure on the gauge. i only have the ford pulley/tune but what a engine, what a car! i really miss driving it over the winter but it is not meant to plow snow.

I have to present this once again.......it IS meant to plow snow....

Attachments

• GTPLOW.JPG
    GTPLOW.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 113
Aug 25, 2006

You did good and remained relaxed

Shadowman