Oil pressure problem after oil change

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
so the oil gauge was new this April from autometer

Didn't realize this before. *If* your gauge failed, this will have been the very first reported failure of the new "Version 2" gauge. Sorry if you stated this before and I missed it but if you were having the inconsistent gauge readings with this new, "Version 2", gauge, I would be looking elsewhere and the sending unit is a good (and inexpensive) culprit.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
This might be a stretch but I have to wonder if the dealer used the correct oil filter and not something off the shelf that looked correct. the GT uses a unique part number filter. most dealers don't stock Ford GT oil filters. jmo

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
i had a similar issue back in 2007 the dealer used 0w20 grade oil pressure will drop to 0 when engine was warm .

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Wrong oil???

Justin, I think that 1434gt is on to something!!! Jay

i had a similar issue back in 2007 the dealer used 0w20 grade oil pressure will drop to 0 when engine was warm .

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Don't know anything about the Ford Dealership you are using, but these last 2 comments are not isolated. You may have chosen a bad dealership. I had a similar experience and do all my own maintenance now. I took my GT in for its first 500 mile oil change. Long story short, I heard the "specially trained Ford GT mechanic" say, "Why does this keep happening?" After questioning him, he didn't know the Ford GT was a dry sump system and he had only removed one oil pan bolt. After he drained probably one quart of oil, he began refilling the oil tank and couldn't figure out why he couldn't get 10 quarts of oil in the car. So, I caught him syphoning the excess overfilled oil out of the dry sump tank. Yup, I wasn't happy. Told him the reason he keeps having this problem is because 3 bolts need to be removed when draining the oil. Yup, "keeps happening," so this wasn't his 1st rodeo. Just trying to say be careful who you have work on your GT even something as simple as an oil change can be botched by so called trained mechanics.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Justin, I think that 1434gt is on to something!!! Jay
:agree:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Might want to check this thread for Verified Good Dealers in your State (even PM members in those states) and flat bed to a dealer to be on extreme safe side.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/6798-Verified-Good-Dealer-Service-Locations

Doesnt have to be the best/biggest dealer; just one with with good Techs; sometimes dealers that service lots of Super Duty Ford trucks have the most experienced ASE Techs.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
It is interesting that there are multiple reported gauge issues right after an oil change. Maybe the priming procedure is somehow related.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
MTV where did you come to the conclusion that oil changes cause gauge failures? This is the only instance I've heard of it. There have been other gauge failures but not right after an oil change if my memory serves me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
MTV where did you come to the conclusion that oil changes cause gauge failures? This is the only instance I've heard of it. There have been other gauge failures but not right after an oil change if my memory serves me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I do not think any conclusions have been drawn, but refer back to post 60 in this thread.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Curious if this was ever resolved? Sounded like the team was onto something with the lower viscosity oil.

Justin

GT Owner
Jun 30, 2013
Massachusetts
Just got this resolved, like 15 minutes ago. Long story short, dealer took it back to do more testing. After talking with their senior tech I was comfortable with their course of action limitted to diagnostic testing. After another 3 days they concluded the oil pump was the issue. They found low pressure confirmed by a mechanical gauge once the car temp warmed up. They saw 8 pounds only once warm! Anyway I was still skeptical and took the car back. I sent it to a friend of the person I bought it from in Connnecticut who has rebuilt a bunch of GTs and owns one himself. He picked it up at my house Sunday morning via flat bed. Just called me with diagnosis... the tech at the Ford dealer failed to put back the plastic piece that goes in the center of the oil filter! I guess there is a plastic piece that sits in the middle of the filter and attaches into the filter housing. This was gone. So he pulled one off another GT repairable he has an viola, 80 pounds of pressure. So ultimately it was the oil change itself. So a total of 10 days at the dealer over 2 weeks, and they couldnt figure it out. So i call the dealer and the manager essentially blames me for bringing it to them! we'll see if they willingly pay for my out of pocket. anyway, i'll give a plug to the person working on it once he gives me the ok. The dealer in question I'll leave nameless for now, but if you live in MA feel free to PM me and I'll tell you. thanks again for all the suggestions.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I thought that black plastic piece was part of the cap and wasn't removable.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
So why would this plastic piece cause low oil pressure???

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I think that little stem with o-ring plugs a hole that allows the oil that is in the filter housing to drain when you are removing the cap. Prob lowers pressure since it's just returning a portion of the oil back to the pump. Likely unfiltered.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Thanks!!!
I think that little stem with o-ring plugs a hole that allows the oil that is in the filter housing to drain when you are removing the cap. Prob lowers pressure since it's just returning a portion of the oil back to the pump. Likely unfiltered.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Just when you think you have seen everything....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I told you it was the filter in post #2. Glad it's solved.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Does anyone have a photo of the part of the cap that was missing?

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Also goes to show how so many people are not very observant. Why didn't the trained mechanic notice the difference between the old filter and the new filter? No attention to detail, just get the job done as fast as possible.

The part looks like a black plastic teepee. Mine stayed attached to the metal outer cap and the filter slid off it. The plastic slides inside the filter and when the filter is slid over it, you should feel it click twice into position.

Last edited: