Oil Pressure Gauge; Ammeter Gone

206Dino

GT Owner
Feb 12, 2007
I have a 2005 GT which I plan to keep forever. It's very low mileage; mostly rests in garage on battery maintainer. Within the past 3 yrs, I've replaced the tach and the fuel gauge. A few months ago, the ammeter stopped working. Today, the oil pressure gauge stopped working; both are frozen at about 1/4 of their travel. This is all very discouraging to me. I understand that many GTs have gauge problems. My question is whether to have these replaced now or wait for the remaining gauges to fail and have them all replaced at the same time? Also, once a gauge is replaced, is it likely to remain functional or have owners had to replace gauges multiple times? Thanks in advance.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
You might have a bad battery. Three to four years is max for abattery.

Aug 25, 2006
I have a 2005 GT which I plan to keep forever. It's very low mileage; mostly rests in garage on battery maintainer. Within the past 3 yrs, I've replaced the tach and the fuel gauge. A few months ago, the ammeter stopped working. Today, the oil pressure gauge stopped working; both are frozen at about 1/4 of their travel. This is all very discouraging to me. I understand that many GTs have gauge problems. My question is whether to have these replaced now or wait for the remaining gauges to fail and have them all replaced at the same time? Also, once a gauge is replaced, is it likely to remain functional or have owners had to replace gauges multiple times? Thanks in advance.

I would replace them as and if/when they fail

Takes care

Shadowman

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
My question is whether to have these replaced now or wait for the remaining gauges to fail and have them all replaced at the same time?

From a 'labor cost effectiveness' standpoint, removing the gauge panel ONCE would obviously be the smart way to go. BUT, do you want to risk the cost of replacing an engine because you drove w/o an oil pressure gauge & therefore didn't know the oil pump belt had failed? Personally, I'd like to have the oil press & temp gauges working ASAP and wouldn't drive the car w/o them functioning.

Also, once a gauge is replaced...have owners had to replace gauges multiple times? Thanks in advance.

Yes, there have been "multiple" failures of this or that gauge reported, and to this point no one knows what's causing it. Several very 'savvy' people are looking into the issue to find a permanent fix. :cheers

(Edit: Since you've stated the car mostly rests in the garage, you might want to look at the battery's chassis GROUND. W/o going into all the details - this GROUND hasta be clean. Sand/grind the cable-to-ground contact point on the chassis, reconnect the battery (AFTER a battery shop load test AND a full >TRICKLE< charge), and see if any or all guages arise from the dead. As Jim suggested above, the battery itself might be the source of the problem. The gauges MUST HAVE a full 12 volts available to work properly.)

Last edited:

JLG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 24, 2008
Miami, FL
I have had three gauge failures on my 2005. With and without battery tender going, one week post new fresh battery etc.
Very frustrating and annoying since know one knows what is causing the problem. Maybe poor design and construction the most likely cause: I spoke with an Autometer rep. , the OEM manufacturer(off the record), and he said they advised Ford how to make the gauges more robust when they saw the original design but Ford declined to implement these.

Keep your fingers crossed that we get a more permanent fix or etiology of the problem.
Beware the dealers charging excessively for diagnostic time checking out the system looking at the Gauge Control Module(GCM) etc. , as was my experience.
Still a great supercar!:thumbsup

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
I have a 2006 gt and I have had same problems but they went bak to life a few moments later
My car sits parked outside in extreme heat conditions "52 degrees celsuis" as I'm from kuwait but with cover always on it
And I drive it 2 times a week only, I used to use a battery tender on my gt but I don't anymre my battery is OEM still
But wat I mainly do is tht I start her up every now and then while she's parked this allows the engine to be excersiesed and keeps the battery in good shape
I suggest u do the same and stop or change ur trickle charger cuz mainly rhts the problem , I highly recomend doin tht after u fix ur gauges
And hopefully everythin is gona be fine , cuz my gauges r doin finw "touch wood". All the best

JLG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 24, 2008
Miami, FL
Just lost my fourth gauge( temperature). Not on a battery tender this time. Battery fully charged.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
There does seem to be an outbreak of the FGT Gauge Weevil. I'm kinda waiting for my gauges to go now!