Oil pan to oil pump seals

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Oh great tech gurus....I have a question regarding the orientation of the 2 seals between the oil pan and the oil pump. These 2 seals (one a rectangle, the other looks like 2 sqares side by side) have what appears to be a top and bottom side to them. There is a single ridge on one side and a double ridge on the other side. Which side is oriented towards the oil pump? When I look at the main oil pan seal, it is asymmetric. There is only one way to install it...with the single ridge side up towards the block. It sits in a trough in the oil pan itself. Is the orientation of the oil pan to pump seals the same?

I had a leak between the pump and oil pan and have pulled my oil pan to fix the problem. The old oil pan to pump seals were both oriented with the double ridge towards the flat mating surface of the oil pump. Makes me wonder if they were upside down. Thanks, AC

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
take a pic, when I put mine back together I dont remember running into this issue, "single ridge?, double ridge?"

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Shadowman told me lightly oil the seal and place double edge side of into the recess.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Shadowman told me lightly oil the seal and place double edge side of into the recess.

I would agree with this as well. Make sure all surfaces are cleaned. Clean all of the old black silicone at the 4 lines of intersection between the pan and covers (2 front and 2 back). I like Permatex Ultra Black to re-seal these areas. Put a generous bead - 1/8" diameter and 1/2" long at each of these points. the pans are a little tricky to get up into place - I usually get the oil pump area to seat first and then press the rest of the pan up. There is a peculiar bolt tightening sequence that should be rigidly followed. If you need a copy from the manual, let me know.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Oh great tech gurus....I have a question regarding the orientation of the 2 seals between the oil pan and the oil pump. These 2 seals (one a rectangle, the other looks like 2 sqares side by side) have what appears to be a top and bottom side to them. There is a single ridge on one side and a double ridge on the other side. Which side is oriented towards the oil pump? When I look at the main oil pan seal, it is asymmetric. There is only one way to install it...with the single ridge side up towards the block. It sits in a trough in the oil pan itself. Is the orientation of the oil pan to pump seals the same?

I had a leak between the pump and oil pan and have pulled my oil pan to fix the problem. The old oil pan to pump seals were both oriented with the double ridge towards the flat mating surface of the oil pump. Makes me wonder if they were upside down. Thanks, AC

The thick part of the seal goes towards the ground as installed. Just did another one and make sure the seal "groove" is completly dry.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks for the advice guys! I will orient the seals as recommended.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey, take some pics dude.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Hey, take some pics dude.

Will post up pictures when I do the job this weekend. AC

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Make sure you wear a hat so we don't get any glare. And get a hand model. No more of this Shadowman dirty hand BS.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Make sure you wear a hat so we don't get any glare. And get a hand model. No more of this Shadowman dirty hand BS.

...and use some blue tape! 3M hasn't been doing so well lately.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
How about hairy hands?

Here's a picture of the oil pan showing the channel for the main oil pan seal and also the 2 ports for the oil pump. There are channels for the oil pump seals also. I wish my dog had apposable thumbs so he could help me in the garage.

Attachments

• DSC04231.jpg
    DSC04231.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 42

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Here's pictures of one of the seals with one ridge on one side and 2 ridges on the back side. The wider (2 ridge) side goes into the channels in the oil pan. The 3rd photo is of the seals seated in the channels of the oil pan. The 4th photo shows the flat mating surfaces of the oil pump and the engine block.

Attachments

• DSC04241.jpg
    DSC04241.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC04236.jpg
    DSC04236.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC04247.jpg
    DSC04247.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC04248.jpg
    DSC04248.jpg