Oil level question after oil change by dealer

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
I had the oil changed in January by my local Ford dealer who has done service on my 2006 Ford gt. I just checked it since I rarely drive the car and noticed that the oil level was about 1 inch above the max line on the dip stick. I drove the car for about 20 minutes and checked the level within 1 minute as described in the owners manual. I also checked the level when cold and it was about the same level, maybe slightly lower but still about 1 inch above the max. Should I just siphon it down to the correct level when cold and then check it when hot ot should I go back the dealer. They will probably accuse me of adding oil like they normally try to get out of the accepting blame for the situation. Is there any problems with dip stick reading as I have described?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sound like it is overfilled. You cannot easily remove oil from the tanks filler cap, but can from the dipstick opening with a small tube. Other than that you will have to drop the belly pans.

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
I just got back from the dealer and he said no problem with overfilling the oil since it is a dry sump system and there is no harm if left overfilled. Any comments would be appreciated.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yeah, it sounds like only modestly over-filled and I think you are absolutely fine. For future reference, the GT should be filled with 9.5 quarts of oil after an oil and filter change.

Reactions: GT Tech

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Yeah, it sounds like only modestly over-filled and I think you are absolutely fine. For future reference, the GT should be filled with 9.5 quarts of oil after an oil and filter change.

I fill mine with 5½ quarts - and then measure. Then, continually add to the correct point on the dipstick - last time, it took exactly 10 quarts. I'm sure its a function of how long you let the oil drain from the 3 ports of the engine and oil tank - I let mine drain for over an hour. I'm sure dealer's only let it drain for a couple of minutes.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Check "back of dip-stick"...sometimes its lower

I forget why...but, for some reason one side can get a different reading

Shadowman knows

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I fill mine with 5½ quarts - and then measure. Then, continually add to the correct point on the dipstick - last time, it took exactly 10 quarts. I'm sure its a function of how long you let the oil drain from the 3 ports of the engine and oil tank - I let mine drain for over an hour. I'm sure dealer's only let it drain for a couple of minutes.

Ralphie, my friend!! I guess a fail to see the point in posts like this. What is the point? Is my post incorrect or misleading? Is my post incorrect? Is your point that owners should really fill the GT with 10 quarts and not the 9.5 that I said??

The GTs are not different and unlike other cars where the owner may use different size oil filter cannisters, the GT cartridges are all the same. If the GT is properly drained (car level, and all 3 plugs drained and filter changed), it will take 9.5 quarts. They all do. Want to put in 10 quarts? Knock yourself out... there's likely no harm at all for a 1/2 quart overfill if that's your thing. :wink

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
Actually I only wanted to know if it was bad for the engine to have it 1 inch obove the max level. I can siphon the excess out it would be better for the engine. I dont want to worry if it is OK.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Scott, I would not worry.
Just drive the car and enjoy!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It is a dry sump system. You are just measuring the reservoir. I would think retained heat would be the greatest downfall if you are not spitting it out somewhere due to the overfill.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To the original poster: Given the overfill, I would almost bet that when you had your oil changed that the service tech did not fully drain the system by removing the other drain plugs but did fully fill it according to how many quarts it is supposed to take after the change and the overfill amount is the excess still in the system after the improper drain. Will the experts agree or did I miss something?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
To the original poster: Given the overfill, I would almost bet that when you had your oil changed that the service tech did not fully drain the system by removing the other drain plugs but did fully fill it according to how many quarts it is supposed to take after the change and the overfill amount is the excess still in the system after the improper drain. Will the experts agree or did I miss something?

'No expert, but, I'll chime in anyway: I'll bet it was no more complicated than this being a case where the mechanic simply dumped in a full 10 qts and called 'er good.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
My last oil change took 10 qts after letting it drain for 30 min. Not one mm over the full line.

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
Thanks. I'll maybe siphon off some of the excess so that I dont worry about what the dealer says is OK until there is a problem. I live in a very hot environment and dont want any problems.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

If this is the case, I would also be surprised if they properly primed the system after the oil change.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If this is the case, I would also be surprised if they properly primed the system after the oil change.

Good point. :eek

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Now guys relax. I have made many a marking system for oil companies and filter companies. You would be suprised how often the fill is not an exact quart.....And if your in a hurry to put in the next one you might not let that last ounce drain...over 10 quart bottles it can add up. But you would be suprised how often a quart is not a quart when we mark after the supposed weight checking machine. Just a thought......

Ralphie, my friend!! I guess a fail to see the point in posts like this. What is the point? Is my post incorrect or misleading? Is my post incorrect? Is your point that owners should really fill the GT with 10 quarts and not the 9.5 that I said??

The GTs are not different and unlike other cars where the owner may use different size oil filter cannisters, the GT cartridges are all the same. If the GT is properly drained (car level, and all 3 plugs drained and filter changed), it will take 9.5 quarts. They all do. Want to put in 10 quarts? Knock yourself out... there's likely no harm at all for a 1/2 quart overfill if that's your thing. :wink

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
In a dry sump system it does not matter. I have way overfilled it on some track days.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Exactly Derry!
This is much-to-do-about nothing.
Why do you posters think this is detrimental to the engine?
What is your basis...?

Let the owner get on with his ownership and enjoy his car...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Indy -

The only potential problem with an overfill that I can see would be the coefficient of thermal expansion which might lead to an overflow from the tank (leaking out the dipstick hole) as the engine heats up which might then lead to a fire as it reaches the exhaust manifold. Otherwise, no problem.

Last edited: