Oil leaking from shock tower....whats the deal?

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Noticed while washing the car that the drivers side suspension tower was covered in oil.
Wanted to know if this is at all or somewhat normal, or totally rare.
Let me know, id like to get this sorted shortly.
Cheers Stuart Appleby

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 229

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The shock is done and needs to be replaced. I just changed mine to the ahlman engineering ohlins package. In the long run, the ohlins are able to be rebuilt and have no downsides over OEM. This was a big factor in my decision to buy this package their ability to be serviced. I wrote more detail here as did others.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?27550-Ahlman-Engineering-Olins-Shocks

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Brilliant info, have saved the link and will be on it shorty.

Do you know of the OEM replacement cost for dampers?

Stuart

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
My driver's side rear shock went out during Owners Rally 2 in Newport Beach, or about 2 years after my car left the showroom (September of 2007). I'll always be convinced it was due to that tire hitting road debris at highway speeds. The small piece of metal subsequently stuck in the tire and had it bouncing up and down at a high rate of speed for several seconds while the car was slowed down and stopped (happened when someone else was driving).

Tire had to be replaced immediately, but it took several months for shock to leak dry and start banging over bumps before I noticed a problem. Shock was replaced under warranty, and no other shock has been a problem. Can't remember what it would have cost without warranty coverage.

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
OEM are a little over $500 a corner, I'm sure that others will weigh in with exact amounts and part #'s

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
Unfortunately it appears that The GT Guys, Rich and Denis, have seen this a bit over the years. We did not see it during ~3 years of the program through production and they went through the normal Ford shock testing with flying colors. I believe this leakage is heavily due to the cars sitting for somewhat long periods at times, especially "off season" storage, which we were not able to adequately test. Like many seals, lack of usage can cause their failure once used. List price for a new set of OEM shocks only are $2940.

As Specracer noted, my specifically designed Ohlins coil-over packages for the Ford GT are a great option. "Racing" shocks typically suffer the same issues as the OEM shocks regarding periods of sitting. My Ohlins shocks are not racing shocks, rather ultra performance shocks that Ohlins utilizes for very high performance cars, OEM motorcycles and in racing (including ALMS). Motorcycles have large storage periods, so the Ohlins shocks are designed and built accordingly. Adjustable ride heights, shock settings, four track tested configurations, significant technical support in a rebuildable and high quality package make them a worthwhile investment.

Specracer's (with Jeff and Ralphie chiming in) and Wwabbits (http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?27199-Ahlman-Engineering-struts-track-review) earlier threads on my coil-overs are good testaments. You can also visit www.AhlmanEng.com/products for more detail on the packages. Feel free to contact me with questions.

Scott

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Stuart,
Good catch there on your faulty shock.
As stated, you have options at your disposal.
OEM replacement, Ahlman's super slick Ohlins, Penske also has shocks for the GTs.
Some of past threads are already listed and there are more you wil find in the "search" tool.
Good luck and Fore!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
90% chance it is simply a bad shock. But, it is prudent to also check a couple of other things.... First, we have seen many failed/leaking shocks and, generally speaking, they start much more slowly than the amount of oil shown in your pic. Just want you to double check that your axle bolts have been replaced and everything looks good around the axle. Second thing, check the balance of the tire on that side. An out of balance tire will definitely over-work and heat up that shock - so make sure to check the tire balance. Finally, while there are a few good shock choices (those Ohlins look sick as hell!), you can also go used. I think I still have some virtually new OEM take off shocks from another member here who asked me to sell them for him. PM me if interested, and I'll get a price.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If replacing with new shocks (whichever style you decide on), I would recommend that you replace them in pairs (front or back).

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Thank guys.
Love the info provided and glad so many had some input.
SA