Oil Leak

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
Had the car on the lift today to follow up on a suspected oil leak. Two weeks ago we noticed a leak at the oil cooler which is located directly under the oil filter. It is silver and about 4 inches square with cooling fins on it. We thought it might be some oil residue from the filter change so we cleaned the area throughly and after two weeks of light driving we checked it again. Sure enough the area was dripping with oil. The tech looked it up on the Ford service site and there were no known problems. The exploded drawing showed that it seals to the engine with what looks like a compression gasket. We cheched the torque on the bolts and they were tight. He is ordering a gasket and we will see if that solves the problem. Has anyone else experienced this?
Flash :frown

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Flash gets this extraordinary service at Team Ford in Marietta. The only place to have your GT serviced among Atlanta's 20+ Ford Dealers. Two awesome techs - Scott and Jason.

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
My 2005 GT had a similar leak. My leak was at the "brazed"/"welded" area right where the fins meet the flange. You could see the bad welded area, looked like there was some very small 'pin' holes. The service foreman replaced the oil cooler assembly. No leaks so far.

Hope this helps.

FLASH

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 29, 2006
Atlanta, Ga.
Casper, Thanks for the info. I will pass it on to the techs at Marietta Team Ford. Where did you have your car serviced just in case our tech wants to speak with your tech?
Thanks again.
Flash :cheers

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
Flash, the shop foreman's name is Jeff S.

Dealership name MacKensie Ford, Hillsboro, Or.
1(503)-640-2777

He's a race car type guy, & will definitely be able to let you know what's going on with my car, etc. Very helpful & knowlegable on the GT. He should be able to let you know the info on the oil cooler....

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My dealer replaced the oil cooler block and the gasket at the last service. That makes two.