Oil Leak

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
Gentlemen,

I just replaced the fluids in the GT's and as I removed the lower belly pans an accumulation of motor oil was on the driver side front panel (not diffuser panel). Warmed up engine and noticed a small drip by the lower bolts of the engine oil cooler - just below oil filter housing. Tried tightening those bolts put leak still persist. Has anyone experienced this leak? Looks like a gasket replacement and not an o-ring. Thoughts

DLC

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We have removed the belly pans on over 100 GTs and I would say 8 out of 10 has a little oil build up. Just a caracteristc of these cars. If it's not a signifcant leak, I would say it's normal. Could it be stopped? Maybe, but it is normal for these cars to have a little oil in the belly pans. Now, if you are actually seeing it drip consistantly, I would try to locate the problem as is sounds worse than what we normally see.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'd have to respectfully disagree with Shelby on this one. "Dripping" oil leaks arn't normal. There must be a source and it needs locating just in case there's an impending "gusher" in the works (reference the rubbing lines discussed on the "3 year service" thread).

I can't quite "picture" the exact area you described (memory fails me here). It's been a while since I've laid eyes on that area. So I won't try to speculate on the source.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Tried tightening those bolts put leak still persist.

By "still persists" it implies that you can actually see it leaking.

Is your car an '05? I seem to recall that there were a few cars that had experienced a defective oil cooler - where the cooler itself actually developed a small crack that would weep. Based on your description, I would say that this could be what you have.

Without your description of a persistant leak, I would have otherwise guessed that you may have some residual oil that spilled over from the oil filter cannister when the filter was replaced.

Assuming that you can do ite safely, I would recommend letting the engine run at idle while someone closely inspects the oil cooler with objective of isolating the leak.

Let me (us) know if you have any other questions!

DLC

GT Owner
Apr 23, 2006
Clinton, NY
By "still persists" it implies that you can actually see it leaking.

Is your car an '05? I seem to recall that there were a few cars that had experienced a defective oil cooler - where the cooler itself actually developed a small crack that would weep. Based on your description, I would say that this could be what you have.

Without your description of a persistant leak, I would have otherwise guessed that you may have some residual oil that spilled over from the oil filter cannister when the filter was replaced.

Assuming that you can do ite safely, I would recommend letting the engine run at idle while someone closely inspects the oil cooler with objective of isolating the leak.

Let me (us) know if you have any other questions!
Yes, it is an 05. It is hard to see above the cooler but you can see the oil dripping from the bottom bolts. Just drops.

I thought the very same thing regarding the oil filter change out and residual oil spill. Cleaned and dried area very carefully and saw this leaking persist. I was unaware of the earlier cooler problems but this looks to be the issue. I guess another oil change is in order with the cooler replacement. Thanks for all the info.

DLC

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DLC, the GTGuys are coming to GTJoeys on the Island very soon. Make an appointment and have them check it out. Best insurance you can have.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I guess I should have been a little more clear. Again, 8 out of 10 belly pans we remove have some oil in them. Maybe not much, but do have some. Now if you are seeing a constant drip, I would say that is not normal.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
DLC, your more than welcome my friend, call the gtguys, pm me if you want to come by, could be as simple as a tweek on the fittings or a seal or something. Either way your more than welcome....Good luck, friday is pasta,cutlets,italian semlina bread,canolis,vermooth....more the merrier...:thumbsupgtjoey 1314

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
gtjoey is that turkey, chicken or veal cutlets??

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Mostly chicken , keeping it lite and not to tough..:thumbsup