Oil Filter

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Silverbullitt said:
There was a K&N booth at Unique Performance a couple of weeks ago. The rep told me it was two lightning filters. That is all the digging I have done on this though. They had a red Ford GT demo car there.

I used a non K&N foam air filter for my Terminator Cobra. It let fine dust particles through. I bought another brand and placed a fine nylon sock over the filter to stop or reduce the problem. I don't want this to happen to my GT. I may stay with the stock filter until I'm sure that a K&N can filter just as good as stock.
Foam elements are advertised as the highest flowing, lowest restriction elements there are - and this is probably true, at the expense of larger pore size (less filtration). Gauze type elements (like K&N) are likely in between stock paper elements and foam types. Several of us on this forum are already using K&Ns on our GTs (and it is not the Lightning filter).

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bullitt, I'm surprised you didn't admit that you used YOUR panty hose to cover the filter. Anyone that knows you understands.

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Everetto--

Most of the modular Ford engines here in Calif. I have seen at the races, use the Redline 5W40. The extremes in temp. are not too prevelent here, as in the east.

Gary T.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
BlackICE said:
I just got some Mann HU 925/4 filters for my wife's and fathers bimmers from www.germanfilters.com only $4.57 each and free shipping on orders over $50.

Here is a cross referance for the Mann HU 925/4 filter:

http://www.germanfilters.com/xref2_...ubmit=Mann+Filter+Part+Number+Cross+Reference

The Purolator L 25247 filter xref to this Mann filter.

Is the HU 925/4 number on the Ford oil filter? Sometimes the filter size may be the same, but the filter characteristics are different.

BlackICE

I just got my filters from germanfilters.com and they are NOT Mann HU925/4. They substituted Mahle filter 0X154/1D. These have plastic end caps not the fiber of the mann filter. I'm not sure they are a direct replacement for the Mann or not... This needs more investigation :eek

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
DanQ said:
I just got my filters from germanfilters.com and they are NOT Mann HU925/4. They substituted Mahle filter 0X154/1D. These have plastic end caps not the fiber of the mann filter. I'm not sure they are a direct replacement for the Mann or not... This needs more investigation :eek

I am sorry to here about the bait and switch. This is the 1st time I ever bought anything from this company. I haven't received my order yet. I hope I get the real Mann filters. The web page states Mann filters and shows a picture of a Mann filter. I think they should give us the real thing, or it is false advertising. One call to the FTC and they will get a nice letter about that.

BlackICE

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I've ordered oil filters off the internet before and this happens. I'd just recommend that anyone else should specify Mann only for our application. Mahle makes good filters but they look different in this case. they would be fine in a BMW. they may be fine for the GT too, just need to check.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
fjpikul said:
Bullitt, I'm surprised you didn't admit that you used YOUR panty hose to cover the filter. Anyone that knows you understands.

I still have your rest stop photos. I was trying to protect the identities of the men you were flirting with.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Silverbullitt said:
I may stay with the stock filter until I'm sure that a K&N can filter just as good as stock.
Supposedly K&N Filters provide superior performance as compared to OEM paper filters ..... or is just superior marketing?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I went to an Autozone to find the purolator filter. They crossed me to an STP filter that was also speced to the BMW 330. It looked tall enough, but the width looked a little narrow. It could be a perfect match, but I'm going to remove my old filter first and compare it to the replacement.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
BlackICE said:
Not unless you are planning to die at the age of 47! I believe the oil and filter should be changed once a year.

BlackICE

I've got 400+ miles now, as I am a new owner.

When do you recommend that first oil change?

Thanks!

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I did my first oil change at 500 miles. Then again at 1K, once I hit the 1500 mile mark i again will change the oil. Over Kill I know. But i have never had a vehicle let me down from too much routine maint.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I just got an email from germanfilters.com. they are sending me the Mann HU 925/4 now to replace the Mahle filters they sent earlier. Can't ask for more than that. They will be adding the motorcraft FL2024 to their cross reference in the future. If you order from them, just add a note not to substitute... 10 filters for $44. sure beats $30 each from the dealer!

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
SYCO GT said:
I've got 400+ miles now, as I am a new owner. When do you recommend that first oil change?
I'll change mine at 1,000. IMO, changing the oil at less mileage is not necessary.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
DanQ said:
sure beats $30 each from the dealer!

$30 for one filter? That just sounds wrong. And they wonder why some people think dealerships are legalized robbery...

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I received my filters today from germanfilters.com, they are the real Mann filters that are correct for our GTs. I will specify only Mann without substitution in future orders to make sure. I think the other filters should be fine, but you wouldn't want Ford to deny a warrantee claim for using a different filter.

The price Ford charges for the filter is up to them. Ford will sell about 4000-8000 filters a year, making a profit of about 100K to 200K per year on them. Given that Ford is such a large and fat organization it probably cost them 100K just to get the part number into the system! They will just break even on the 1st year sales!

I forgot to factor in Dealer markup, it may take Ford 2 years to breakeven!

BlackICE

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Ditto, germanfliters.com sent me the actual Mann filters. Came quick too.

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Just received my 10 oil filters from Germanfilter, and they were the Mahle's. Have emailed Brian Case, to issue a pickup for these, and to send the Mann HU 925/4 filters that were ordered. We'll see.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Filters

My filters came from www.bavauto.com and they are the correct ones. There is a guy in Florida selling them on eBay too for about $5 a piece in a store.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I ordered my case today. Thanks BlackIce for finding this source. Anyone find 25 cent premium or $10 Hoosiers?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
German filter

Taking the advise of my fellow Forum members I ordered a few oilfilters from germanfilters. Ordered them Monday evening and noted as has been pointed out "no substitutions please". The correct HU925/4 filters showed up Wed morning! These guys are good, fast and the filter is exactly the same as in the motorcraft box I purchased when I bought my car. Thanks guys!
I too would be interested in any air filter cross overs. Please no K&N's! I want to stay with pleated paper.
Oh and for my two cents worth, I think it is foolhardy to run any "other" synthetic motor oil (Red Line, Amzoil, Moble One, take your pick) than the Ford specified 5W-50 Motorcaft oil. Yea, I know the filter substitution I just accepted but it is the EXACT Mann filter in a Motorcraft box. The oil is different. Ford powertrain engineering developed a particular additive package they wanted for our engine which obviously is in the Motorcraft oil. Sure the other synthetics will meet the SL/CF API rating but will the oil contain the additive package meeting the Ford Spec WSS-M2C931-A? Cheap insurance guys, I'll opt for the Motorcraft until someone can technically prove and equivalance (like the Mann filters above).
Happy Motoring!!!