Oil Filter

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Someone mentioned that the oil filter is a Mann from Germany. Does anyone have the Mann part number for the filter. I wonder if it is the same as most BMWs use, the filter housing cap looks the same as on my wife's 330i.

BlackICE

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
YES; It is the same as the BMW's. Purolator P/N # L25247

AMB

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I just got some Mann HU 925/4 filters for my wife's and fathers bimmers from www.germanfilters.com only $4.57 each and free shipping on orders over $50.

Here is a cross referance for the Mann HU 925/4 filter:

http://www.germanfilters.com/xref2_...ubmit=Mann+Filter+Part+Number+Cross+Reference

The Purolator L 25247 filter xref to this Mann filter.

Is the HU 925/4 number on the Ford oil filter? Sometimes the filter size may be the same, but the filter characteristics are different.

BlackICE

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
BlackICE said:
Is the HU 925/4 number on the Ford oil filter? Sometimes the filter size may be the same, but the filter characteristics are different.

BlackICE

Yes, I am holding the GT filter in my hand. It has MANN filter and HU 925/4 stamped on it. I paid Ford a little over $20 for this filter yesterday.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
10 pack $43.83 including shipping. These will last me untill I am dead (I'm only 37)......

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Does the Mann filter come with the correct "O" ring as included with the Ford kit?

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I just got a call from Demolition Man asking about filters, so I was planning to post this anyway. I bought four filters from the Ford Dealer at $33 a piece, only to find I had a box of the same filters on my shelf for my BMW 330i. The Ford part is even delivered with the BMW crush ring! It is Mann #HU925/4, it is delivered with the O-ring. You can buy it from www.bavauto.com (Bavarian Autosport) for $7.95 (Their part number is 11 42 1 427 908). It comes with the O-ring. They also sell a nifty 36mm socket for the cartridge removal (Part #02341). I was lucky that my Ford dealer took back all four filters and refunded my full $134 plus tax! I spent $31.00 for the four filters from Bavarian Autosport. :banana

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
One more point - The Mann filter for the BMW and the Ford Spec filter are EXACTLY THE SAME, they both have the same OEM supplier part number, filter rates, size, etc., etc. I thoroughly checked this out with my contact at BMW and resident automotive engineer.

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Great!
How about the threaded cap for the BMW is this the same as the Ford GT?
Suggest you keep a spare on your shelf in case you cross thread the plastic cap by mistake.

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
BlackICE said:
Someone mentioned that the oil filter is a Mann from Germany. Does anyone have the Mann part number for the filter. I wonder if it is the same as most BMWs use, the filter housing cap looks the same as on my wife's 330i.

BlackICE

Yeah, it was my post. I was quite surprised when I received the ordered filter from the US to read MADE IN GERMANY :ack
A filter usually comes with an o-ring seal

Desi

Attachments

• GT_MANN Filter1.JPG
    GT_MANN Filter1.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 455

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Specracer said:
10 pack $43.83 including shipping. These will last me untill I am dead (I'm only 37)......

Not unless you are planning to die at the age of 47! I believe the oil and filter should be changed once a year.

BlackICE

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Now that the oil filter mystery is solved, who knows what the air filter really is. The auto parts industry in worldwide as Ford and GM already know. The GT design team were pressed for time and would surely use an existing part if it would work on the car, just as in the case of the oil filters. Now it is a good chance that the air filters are really something from another vehicle too. Has anyone taken a look at one to see what the "real" part number is?

I used to have a Vette with the old 4+3 transmission. The overdrive unit had a GM part number for the filter. One day at an auto parts store I saw the same filter for a automatic transmission for a Ford car. Of course the "special" GM filter was much higher in cost since it was used in a lower production vehicle.

BlackICE

Last edited:

Fyr-FtrGT

GT Owner, BofD
Mark IV Lifetime
May 28, 2006
Walnut Creek, California
Thank you BlackICE for the link to the Mann filters. I ordered a case today. I have been using Redline synthetic race oil in my cars for years, so will probably continue that with the GT.

Gary Tryhorn

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
BlackICE said:
Not unless you are planning to die at the age of 47! I believe the oil and filter should be changed once a year.

BlackICE

Agreed, on the change at least once a year, but a 10 pack to be on the shelf seemed to be a bit much. I will get them in a week or so

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Filter

timcantwell said:
I just got a call from Demolition Man asking about filters, so I was planning to post this anyway. I bought four filters from the Ford Dealer at $33 a piece, only to find I had a box of the same filters on my shelf for my BMW 330i. The Ford part is even delivered with the BMW crush ring! It is Mann #HU925/4, it is delivered with the O-ring. You can buy it from www.bavauto.com (Bavarian Autosport) for $7.95 (Their part number is 11 42 1 427 908). It comes with the O-ring. They also sell a nifty 36mm socket for the cartridge removal (Part #02341). I was lucky that my Ford dealer took back all four filters and refunded my full $134 plus tax! I spent $31.00 for the four filters from Bavarian Autosport. :banana

PERFECT! I ordered 4.

Thanks! :thumbsup

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
BlackICE

The correct Ford GT "AIR FILTER" P/N: is: XL3V-9601-AC !!! K & N P/N: 33-2317 !! It ISN'T the same as the Ford Lightning "AIR FILTER" P/N: XL3Z-9601-AA; Motorcraft P/N: FA-1682 !! K & N P/N: 33-2140-1 !!

AMB

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
ANy idea who makes the air filter, is is Mann again?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
timcantwell said:
You can buy it from www.bavauto.com (Bavarian Autosport) for $7.95 (Their part number is 11 42 1 427 908). It comes with the O-ring. They also sell a nifty 36mm socket for the cartridge removal (Part #02341).
Tim: Thanks for the info. I ordered two filters from Bavarian Autosport. Thanks also for info. on the 36mm socket. I bought one at Pep Boys ($10) some time ago for use on my Mini Cooper S.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Fyr-FtrGT said:
Thank you BlackICE for the link to the Mann filters. I ordered a case today. I have been using Redline synthetic race oil in my cars for years, so will probably continue that with the GT.

Gary Tryhorn
Great info on the filters guys.

Gary, I can't find a 5W50 Redline oil, only a 5W40 - are you planning on going with that?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
AMB said:
The correct Ford GT "AIR FILTER" P/N: is: XL3V-9601-AC !!! K & N P/N: 33-2317 !! It ISN'T the same as the Ford Lightning "AIR FILTER" P/N: XL3Z-9601-AA; Motorcraft P/N: FA-1682 !! K & N P/N: 33-2140-1 !!

AMB

There was a K&N booth at Unique Performance a couple of weeks ago. The rep told me it was two lightning filters. That is all the digging I have done on this though. They had a red Ford GT demo car there.

I used a non K&N foam air filter for my Terminator Cobra. It let fine dust particles through. I bought another brand and placed a fine nylon sock over the filter to stop or reduce the problem. I don't want this to happen to my GT. I may stay with the stock filter until I'm sure that a K&N can filter just as good as stock.

Last edited: