Oil filter warning

css 290

GT Owner
Sep 6, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
Bought my case of Mann HU 925's from German filter and my mechanic says that it was too long to install, and much longer than the Ford(Mann) filter, so he installed the latter. WTH?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Bought my case of Mann HU 925's from German filter and my mechanic says that it was too long to install, and much longer than the Ford(Mann) filter, so he installed the latter. WTH?

Compare one of the Mann's you were sent with a Ford filter & see for yourself.

SUMBUDDY'S blowing smoke...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

He is wrong. Period. (Also, ALL the Ford-boxed filters will have the HU 925 designation right on them.)

Last edited:

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

Not sure how this can be. I have the two filters in front of me currently and they are identical. Mann filter HU925/4X is the exact same height and diameter as the Motorcraft FL-2024. The filter out of the Motorcraft box even says on the filter "Mann Filter HU925/4 Germany 050914".
I agree with Pockets. You need to make the comparison yourself to see what "differences" you mechanic is talking about.

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area

where does this stuff come from?

I've changed my oil, and filter, with the Mann HU 925, fits perfectly.

I'm confused!

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
If you want your gal worked correctly..do it yourself :biggrin

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
If you want your gal worked correctly..do it yourself :biggrin

One caveat. There are folks like Shadowman, the Gt Guys, Kendall, Jay, etc... that I would learn alot from.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
:bow

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I dredged up this old series of posts looking for what BMW the mann filter fits. I guess it's the 330. What I am after is a new oil canister top. Ford wants $300 for one so I figure BMW may sell an equivalent for $50. Does anyone know how to get a new canister top without having to pay $300? Since it has plastic parts in it I figure it will fail at some point and I'd like a spare.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have not verified this, but I have worked on both cars and the 330i cap I recalled seem to be the same. I no longer have the 330i so I cannot comfirm this.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
K&N HP-7007 $10.50 Fits GT and about a dozen BMW's
Oil Filter Style: Cartridge
Height (in): 4.094 in.
Outside Diameter (in): 3.248 in.
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: No
Anti-Drainback Valve: Yes
Smallest Particle Filtered: 10 microns
Maximum Burst Pressure (psi): 550 psi

Last edited:

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Try the junk yards

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
I dredged up this old series of posts looking for what BMW the mann filter fits. I guess it's the 330. What I am after is a new oil canister top. Ford wants $300 for one so I figure BMW may sell an equivalent for $50. Does anyone know how to get a new canister top without having to pay $300? Since it has plastic parts in it I figure it will fail at some point and I'd like a spare.

I believe Ford and GM use the same filters/parts on their diesel trucks. Besides BMW, Mercedes and others also use the canister assembly. Bring the part into your local Ford, GM, BMW or Mercedes dealer and have parts match it up. Also, there are a couple of vendors on EBay offering wrenches for the canister top, and they indicate which car model numbers the wrenches fit. Snap-On also offers a wrench, and the Snap-On guy will tell you which cars it fits. I'm out of town, but have the information at home. PM me and I'll post the link when I get back.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I've changed a lot of GT filters. A rubber strap wrench works very well to get the caps loose.

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL

Here is a link to an '06 E46 330i cap. It lists for $27. Are they looking up the right part number? The whole assembly is $300.
I'm not sure if this the "right" one or not... just using it as an example

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BD53&mospid=47713&btnr=11_2201&hg=11&fg=30

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I went to a BMW dealer and bought the cap for $20. When I called Ford they wanted $316. Maybe the parts guy (who is usually pretty good) made a mistake and that is the price for the whole filter assembly. I will stop in person some time and check again.....but I have the cap now. I thought maybe it was like the filters....$5 from Mann, $30 from Ford. :cheers

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Look up Carr industries, they show a billet cap for BMWs. Not sure if it is the same as ours. Maybe you Bimmer guys can figure it out, $39

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
From the picture I can't see the central filter support we use. The size and thread look like a match. This might be a good thing for track use.