Oil change problems

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I changed my oil for the second time yesterday. I think I overtightened the oil filter cap. That is the only thing that makes sense. I took the post oil change test drive after verifying no leaks. I had 25 pounds pressure at idle and 50 under medium throttle and rpm. When I returned to the house my check gages light came on. 0 oil pressure for one second then it jumped back to 25, then about a minute later it did it again. I shut off the motor and coasted into the driveway.

I checked the oil level and it was about halfway up so I added another half quart. Took another test drive at 1,000 rpm only. It went five minutes at 25 pounds and then hit zero for a second again approaching my house. I'm removing the filter after work today to inspect it. I noticed a pickup wire at the top of the oil filter cannister. I could have blocked the sending unit who knows. Anyone else run into this problem. I am also using the germainoilfilter.com filter.

Last edited:

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I changed O & F this past weekend using 5w-50 Motorcraft oil and a Mann filter from germanfilters.com. Haven't noticed any problems (leaks, pressure, etc.) but I've done only limited driving since then. Oil pressure is about 30 at idle and goes up with RPMs.

I'd think if the filter cap was too tight it might leak due to compression of the O-ring but how that would adversely affect oil pressure is not clear to me. Also, you didn't say if you cycled the engine for 20 seconds as recommended but again unsure if omitted whether that would adversely affect. Anyone else have ideas?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Yes I did the 20 second pumping. The only thing I did different on this oil change was tightening the cap more than I did the first time. It could be as easy as a defective sender. I'm going to put in a different brand filter and try again. If it does it again I'll have the dealer take it from there.

I worked my way through school being a mechanic so I hopefully don't screw up too much.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
How many quarts does it take? I've looked the shop manual and owner's manual over and can't seem to find it.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
9.5 quarts, I put in about 9.8 on the last change.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I just now found another thread on this. The wiered part is my car did not have this problem until I changed my oil yesterday.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3695

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I think that with the battery issue most or all of the gauges get crazy, not just the oil pressure gauge. As stated, that's generally easy to resolve with a battery disconnect, slow trickle charge, etc.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
20 Second Cycling

Can someone explain to me what this is and how you do it? The dealer has changed my oil and never did a 20 second cycle. I am confused.... :confused
Don

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
You need to prime your oiling system after draining everything out. You press the throttle to the floor (in neutral) and press the start button for 20 seconds. The fully depressed throttle tells the computer not to send spark to the plugs. The engine will simply turn over until you release the button.

Other threads have mentioned this trick if you are on a deserted road and you "want your car to break down". Time for submarine races.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bullitt, now you have ruined Spirit's bag of tricks. Mrs. Spirit will certainly read this post and he will catch hades. Better delete this.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Woops!!

fjpikul said:
Bullitt, now you have ruined Spirit's bag of tricks. Mrs. Spirit will certainly read this post and he will catch hades. Better delete this.

WOOPS!!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I have further info on the shifter boot for you Frank. The hotter and willing the girl the more she squeezes the boot.

How much are autographed SVT mags? Jay and I were too late for the group photo.

DOH! I hijacked my own thread.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think you had better take a good, LONG LOOK at the Inside the Oval mag and see just WHO is standing next to his RED car with the clamshell open. Don't want to highjack this thread either. My guess is sending unit.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
fjpikul said:
I think you had better take a good, LONG LOOK at the Inside the Oval mag and see just WHO is standing next to his RED car with the clamshell open. Don't want to highjack this thread either. My guess is sending unit.

Are you sure it is your car. I think they made about 3 million red ones.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Back to the oil problem. I went to Autozone and crossed the filter to an STP 8081. I compared the filters before installing it. I tightened the oil filter cap about 3/4 turn past hand tight. No leaks, 30 psi idle, 60+ psi above 3k. Healed!!!

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I changed my oil today. Most of the time was spend removing & replacing the flat panels. I am going to cut rectangular holes in the area of the three drain plugs to speed things up next time and use rubber body plugs to seal the holes. Also, it took me two rounds of cranking the engine 20 seconds to get the oil pressure up. My oil pressure at idle is about 50 psi. I bought the oil & filter from my local Ford dealer. Does anyone know what the brass washer is for that is included with the filter? I never found a brass washer when the old filter was removed and the service manual makes no mention of it. Thanks, TI

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
isaakgt said:
... Does anyone know what the brass washer is for that is included with the filter? I never found a brass washer when the old filter was removed and the service manual makes no mention of it. Thanks, TI

The oil filter is the same one used by BMW. The brass crush washer is used on the BMW. Here's a recent thread on oil filters in case you missed it:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3497&highlight=oil+filters

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
Florida Chris said:
The oil filter is the same one used by BMW. The brass crush washer is used on the BMW. Here's a recent thread on oil filters in case you missed it:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3497&highlight=oil+filters

Thanks Chris. That helps a bunch.