OEM Six Spoke Wheels - Question Regarding The Center Caps

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Is there a tool or some trick to tightening the center caps. I just can't seem to get them tight enough by hand (the point where they no longer wobble / rattle). And even at that degree of tightness, when I try to remove the caps, they're so tight I need to use a pliers to get them back off. And yes I've tried a variety of lubricants to no avail. Can someone with experience please provide some guidance on this issue. Thanks!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Is there a tool or some trick to tightening the center caps. I just can't seem to get them tight enough by hand (the point where they no longer wobble / rattle). And even at that degree of tightness, when I try to remove the caps, they're so tight I need to use a pliers to get them back off. And yes I've tried a variety of lubricants to no avail. Can someone with experience please provide some guidance on this issue. Thanks!

Are you removing the plastic ford LOGO and using the knob behind it to do this?? Were you aware that the Ford GT logo comes OFF the center cap and reveals a handle ??

Last edited:
H

HHGT

Hey Joe, they are a horrible design in my opinion. George and I fiddled with them for a while. If someone can give us a recommendation, I would appreciate it as well.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Are you removing the plastic ford LOGO and using the knob behind it to do this?? Were you aware that the Ford GT logo comes OFF the center cap and reveals a handle ??
Yes and yes again. They're just incredibly difficult to turn no matter what.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I've had no problem with mine. That is after I finally figured out how to remove the outer "GT" cap as pointed out by Shelby. Once the cap is removed (4" diameter disc) the big plastic turning handle behind the cap is relatively easy to turn. Remove the cap by using your clean dry palm applied to the cap and while pushin in on the cap, simultaneously torque in a CCW direction. Once the cap is removed, remove the chrome plastic three winged center piece by unscrewing with the exposed handle. Check threads for prior damage or cross threading.

Obviously make sure the plastic male threads are clean and the mating threads in the wheel center are also clean. I apply some aersol silicon spray to the male threads (IMO petroleum will centrifuge out and go places I care not to have the grease, and there may be an interaction between the grease and the plastic threads). Silicon works well on my aircraft brake reaction pins, does not attract or retain any dust/dirt leaves no residue and is easy to apply.

Using the above procecure, my six spoke center caps are no maintence problem. Hope this helps you as well.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Did you change your caps on your BBS optional wheels, pls post a picture. Thanks Bill.

ftmyersgt

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Ft. Myers, Fl
Had the same problem with one center cap. After close inspection discovered that the cap was cross threaded at the factory. Once the plastic threads are compromised the cap either won't tighten all the way or is a bitch to get off. Solved problem by buying a new one from Ford and using the bad one as decoration in my den.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I've had no problem with mine. That is after I finally figured out how to remove the outer "GT" cap as pointed out by Shelby. Once the cap is removed (4" diameter disc) the big plastic turning handle behind the cap is relatively easy to turn. Remove the cap by using your clean dry palm applied to the cap and while pushin in on the cap, simultaneously torque in a CCW direction. Once the cap is removed, remove the chrome plastic three winged center piece by unscrewing with the exposed handle. Check threads for prior damage or cross threading.

Obviously make sure the plastic male threads are clean and the mating threads in the wheel center are also clean. I apply some aersol silicon spray to the male threads (IMO petroleum will centrifuge out and go places I care not to have the grease, and there may be an interaction between the grease and the plastic threads). Silicon works well on my aircraft brake reaction pins, does not attract or retain any dust/dirt leaves no residue and is easy to apply.

Using the above procecure, my six spoke center caps are no maintence problem. Hope this helps you as well.

I've found the center caps easier to turn by using a rubber non-slip jar lid removal pad found in most supermarket accessory aisles or kitchen stores for less than $1.00. It provides some "traction" as you push in while turning. GT Tech (Rich) also mentioned that the factory used a thin coat of petrolium jelly (no K-Y jokes please) on the threads to make them easier to install and remove. Silicone spray mentioned above is another logical lubricant choice for this purpose ... as long as the aerosol component does not attack plastic or the vacuum deposited chrome plating.

All things considered, not one of Ford's better engineered systems.

usmcfred

Last edited:

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Removing the center cap with logo is like removing the lid off a perscription pill bottle. Push in and turn. I also used silicone spray which helps get the center piece out easier. I'm constantly going between the OEM six spokes (Goodyear street tires) and the BBS wheels (track Hoosiers). Finally got the process down.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
How about the Center Caps crafted in carbon fiber .:biggrin

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Had the same problem with one center cap. After close inspection discovered that the cap was cross threaded at the factory. Once the plastic threads are compromised the cap either won't tighten all the way or is a bitch to get off. Solved problem by buying a new one from Ford and using the bad one as decoration in my den.
Was it necessary to buy the entire center cap or just the threaded portion?

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
WOW!!! After reading the posts on the wheel cover,...... I thought, ...let me try mine... . Pushing in on the center 'FORDG GT' center piece has NO effect, , tapping/slghtly pulling on the the chrome wing pieces produced nothing. This is on the left front wheel.... unable to make the center hub FORD GT release cover work.

I know it is supposed to rotate, but it will not. ........Several tries to make it rotate were un-sucessful..... Time for a trip to the dealer....

Anyone else seeing this happen?

Casper

Aug 25, 2006
Did you change your caps on your BBS optional wheels, pls post a picture. Thanks Bill.

When we powder coated my wheels a semi gloss black Brian the powder coater methodically removed the aluminum cover on the OEM wheel center and then reinstalled them after powder coated because the oven temperatures are sufficient to distort the plastic portion of the center cap.

I also chatted with Steve A about having them engraved and in the end decided to pass for now

Takes care

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC07305.JPG
    DSC07305.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 227

ftmyersgt

GT Owner
Jan 1, 2007
Ft. Myers, Fl
Don't think individual parts are available. Bought the whole cap.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
WOW!!! After reading the posts on the wheel cover,...... I thought, ...let me try mine... . Pushing in on the center 'FORDG GT' center piece has NO effect, , tapping/slghtly pulling on the the chrome wing pieces produced nothing. This is on the left front wheel.... unable to make the center hub FORD GT release cover work.

I know it is supposed to rotate, but it will not. ........Several tries to make it rotate were un-sucessful..... Time for a trip to the dealer....

Anyone else seeing this happen?

Casper
Now that I know how it's done, I have no problem with the outer disc - push in and turn ccw to remove. Use a flat palm or rubber screw top lid remover. The inner piece is where the real problem lies and for that I have no answer ..... yet!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Casper-
Some of the wheels you have to push in on the cap "smartly". As posted sometimes it is beneficial to use a jar lid removal rubber pad with gives extra traction on the cap face. Just push in with the palm of your hand with good force and rotate (if you can) CCW. You might try both CCW and CW.
I have honestly had difficulty at this level also, to the extent that my CCW turing of the exterior cap actually unscrews the inner plastic thread and the whole 3-winged assembly unscrews as a singular piece. This is not the intended procedure but it does result in removal of the plastic piece to uncover the lug nuts beneath. And then once removed you can hold the exterior cut plastic threads in your left hand and remove the cap from the unit with your right.
Hope this info helps. It is a bit unnerving at first but once you take one apart and see how it goes together, it is easier the next time.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
On the stock wheels, anyone put on polished lugs, leave off the larger 3 winged plastic piece and find something smaller/ nicer to thread in? thoughts ideas?

jvmax

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 13, 2008
Don't think individual parts are available. Bought the whole cap.

How much do they cost each?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
On the stock wheels, anyone put on polished lugs, leave off the larger 3 winged plastic piece and find something smaller/ nicer to thread in? thoughts ideas?

I put on Derrys's "NUTS" :rofl and the caps back on. :biggrin

I'm looking for ideas too.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
GTNJ,

I like the look of the stock wheels without the center caps, just needed to find something nice to thread into the center. Maybe I will swing by a wheel shop for ideas.