OEM Goodyears

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Having a difficult time locating the OEM Goodyears, especially the rears.
Anyone have any input as to finding a set?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If you can - skip them anyway and put the Bridgestones on. Much better IMHO

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal

Agreed....1,000 % :thumbsup

alma45

GT Owner
Apr 21, 2008

size/ type??
Thanks

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I was tempted to add the word "suck" as an addendum to this thread title :lol

jrz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 27, 2008
I need a new set of rear tires, are the Goodyears available or do I have to buy a complete set of Bridgestones?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hoosier Daddy.

I was tempted to add the word "suck" as an addendum to this thread title :lol

Hey, they're not all bad. Everytime the outside temp dropped below 80 degrees they improved my drifting skills. Whether I wanted to or not! :ack

Chip

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
size/ type??
Thanks

Alma and jrz,
I don't know how to paste in a thread....so go to the search engine, type in Bridgestone. By using the search engine for Bridgestone, you will find more than enough information.:thumbsup
Good luck.

Last edited:

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
O.K., OEM criticism aside, my car is lowered, and I don't know how much of a difference the non OEMs will make in the height and rake of the car.
I'm open to suggestion, as long as this doesn't become a convoluted mess.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Last edited:

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
djs, the search engine is your friend. There has to be 100 plus posts regarding non-oem tires and the corresponding sizes, etc. Ralphie has posted two for your review.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Given the mkt price for the GY I would go with something else like Brigdestones, or Pirelli.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OEM goodyears ONLY available from TireRack from now on. Please see my thread about Goodyear forsaking us. Thr Bridgestones are very specific models, so make sure you order proper ones.

Aug 25, 2006
I feel the need to chime in so that all of those with Goodyear tires do "not" get excited and panic.

IMO the Goodyear tire is a great tire; they wear well, ride well, work very well in the rain, perform well once warmed up on dry days, and handle road debris with no issues.

Now having shared this I must reiterate that on a dry day they "need" to be allowed to warm up or they can be less than friendly as such I share that the gals by design need to be warmed up methodically too so one happens with the other and then the resulting experience with them is just fine. When traveling in the rain the dynamics of all tires are different and Goodyear does a good job of quickly dispersing the water thus insuring good traction.

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When traveling in the rain the dynamics of all tires are different and Goodyear does a good job of quickly dispersing the water thus insuring good traction.

Takes care

Shadowman

Who drives their FGT in the RAIN?

Certainly not special Ed. I have driven in the rain/hail a few times, but it is never a planned event. When doing so, I drive within the reduced performance envelope due to the conditions. I don't hate the GY nor do I love them. Given the HUGE price increase of the GY at Tirerack I will probably give another brand a go the next time around. The rear GYs cost almost as much as a Pirelli System Corsa which I have to believe would give much better grip than a GY under almost all dry conditions while still being usable in the wet.

Aug 25, 2006
Who drives their FGT in the RAIN?

Certainly not special Ed. I have driven in the rain/hail a few times, but it is never a planned event. When doing so, I drive within the reduced performance envelope due to the conditions. I don't hate the GY nor do I love them. Given the HUGE price increase of the GY at Tirerack I will probably give another brand a go the next time around. The rear GYs cost almost as much as a Pirelli System Corsa which I have to believe would give much better grip than a GY under almost all dry conditions while still being usable in the wet.

When purchasing tires it can be a balancing act based on the intended usage of the gal.

Hoosier = awesome hot dry conditions but terrible in the wet and terrible when it comes to typical road debris.

My only desire was to share that the Goodyear is a great tire; are their better likely based again on the intended usage such as your example being the Corsa which I agree are an awesome tire for dry conditions and moderate for wet.

Takes care

Shadowman

alma45

GT Owner
Apr 21, 2008

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I feel the need to chime in so that all of those with Goodyear tires do "not" get excited and panic.

IMO the Goodyear tire is a great tire; they wear well, ride well, work very well in the rain, perform well once warmed up on dry days, and handle road debris with no issues.

Now having shared this I must reiterate that on a dry day they "need" to be allowed to warm up or they can be less than friendly as such I share that the gals by design need to be warmed up methodically too so one happens with the other and then the resulting experience with them is just fine. When traveling in the rain the dynamics of all tires are different and Goodyear does a good job of quickly dispersing the water thus insuring good traction.

Takes care

Agree--As with almost any car I have owned folks tend to dump on the OE tire--sometimes with reason most times not. I will likely replace mine at the appropariate time with B--stones but based on tires I have run on sports cars, the GY ain't bad.

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Given the HUGE price increase of the GY at Tirerack...

Wow. You weren't kidding. The rears seem to be about double what they were two years ago when I purchased my last set.

But at least Goodyear is offering an $80 rebate if I purchase a set of four.:bored

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Drove to Rally V in Austin from my home (70 miles) in the rain with Hoosier R6 slicks on the back and OEM GY on the front. I have 23K miles on my red car and I can honestly say that it has never "gotten away" from me and, on occasion, driven fairly aggressive, but never disobeyed the laws of man and nature. I personally can't tell the difference in cold vs warm tires, but I am NOT a race car driver. I think the person's brain behind the wheel needs to "warm up" a bit.....unfortunately some brains must not have a "warmer" at all. You kinda have to know what your limits are, and the car's limits as well.