OEM Battery Freshness?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Ordered one through my local dealer and went to get it today. I guess I was expecting a build date sticker or stamp of some sort.

All it had was a "made in Mexico" sticker and a bar code that read 1255750790.

How do I assure this is "fresh" and not something thats been sitting on the warehouse shelf for a year?

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
No one? Any one that replaced in the last few year? There has to be a way to determine build date. Thanks!

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I had the same question a couple of months ago. You need to emial the serial number on the side of the battery to the email address below. Below is the email address and information they sent me.

info@optimabatteries.com

What is the serial number from the 1" X 3" white "non spill-able" decal from the side of the battery?

The best method for consumers to maximize AGM battery performance or to recover a deeply discharged AGM battery is to use a modern AGM specific charger with a desulfation mode.

Since there are many great battery chargers on the market, we do not have the capability of testing each one. We do not “Officially” endorse specific chargers yet we will supply information about chargers that our customers and staff have used and liked. These are becoming more common and they work great for all lead acid batteries. In most cases these chargers will recover deeply discharged AGM batteries.

These units have the additional capability of doubling as a battery “maintainer” for storage. Some also come with additional wiring to permanently attach leads from your battery to an accessible spot on your vehicle. This makes it easy to hook up when you store the car, boat or RV. Here are a few that we have gotten feedback from consumers about:

Ctek, Multi US 7000 or 7002:
http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Buy-US-Charger.aspx

Interacter, EX 12 volt model:
http://www.interacter.com/EX_Page.htm

For regular charging we recommend 2 amps with a max of 10 amps, 13.8-15.0V. For float charging we recommend 1 amp max, 13.2-13.8v.

However, for nearly all people (over 90%) who believe they have a "dead" Optima battery, the battery only needs to be charged. If the battery has less than 10.5v most battery chargers won't do anything to charge the battery using typical procedures, and most test equipment will erroneously indicate the battery has a bad cell.

If an Optima is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts) most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind an Optima will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a 2nd fully charged automotive battery (12V+) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to the discharged battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Leave for 2 hours, monitoring frequently. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the 2nd battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged.
Typically we recommend charging at a relatively low current, such as 2 amps, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.
If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, estimate charging time by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2 for a rough estimate of charging time in hours.
In most cases these steps will recover the AGM battery. It’s okay for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. Hot to the touch means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Ok, I sent them the bar code / serial number. Thank you.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
As far as chargers go, I recently ordered (for an application at work) one of the Genius Battery Chargers. They seem to be satisfactory, and have modes for the Optima type batteries, too.

http://www.geniuschargers.com/shop?gclid=CKbe2vrJt60CFYUZQgodNnO0nQ

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Got ahold of Optima. The battery was built about 110 days ago (255th day of 2011). So is this fresh enough? I assume so.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
The one I purchased was 53 days old.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I had a problem when shopping for the Die Hard battery for my FGT... looked for months but couldn't find one that
hadn't been sitting on the shelf for many months... some were over two years old, still on the shelf at Sears.

Lucked out and found the Sears store in Denton,TX just received two brand new ones, and coincidentally I
was moving my step daughter back to college in Denton that next weekend... "two birds, one stone"

mardyn

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
I just got a GT and saw a 'newish' looking Optima red top in the car, but had no idea how old it was. Called Optima and by using the number on the SIDE of the battery (as mentioned above) and they asked for the first 4 numbers. In my case, it was "1259".

FIRST NUMBER = last digit of year. (2011)
NEXT 3 NUMBERS = The # day in that year the battery was built. (259th day of 2011).

(This is consistent with MNJasons numbers also.)

Hope this helps. My car didn't come with a charger, but I have a tender and plan to route the connection out the front. Thanks to ALL of you who've written posts and helped educate me on this.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...My car didn't come with a charger, but I have a tender and plan to route the connection out the front....

Kendall (nota4re) at Cooltech, LLC has a cable with connector (with cap) and connector mount that does this perfectly.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Kendall (nota4re) at Cooltech, LLC has a cable with connector (with cap) and connector mount that does this perfectly.

I had to get the whole kit to do it though (including a Tender which I stored on my shelf since I already had one. It does mount up quite nicely and there are a couple of pieces of mounting hardware you do want to get.

Willrx

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2012
Atlanta
Is there a difference between '05 and '06 with regard to the hardware. Their site indicates this under "key benefits".

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Eternal life.

My GT was built in early 2006. I left the ignition on accidentally once for a month and completely discharged that original battery. I was told that it would never be OK again after that but I put it on a trickle charger and it charged right back up. That original battery is now 7 years old and it's still working perfectly. I have a spare FGT battery but have never put it in. My spare is now several years old.

Chip

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
My battery was changed under warranty within the first year and i am still running it today. I also have a spare that went dead for a year. I couldn't get it to take a charge, that was until I read a post here that told of a trick to get it work again. It has been on a low amp charger for over a year now.
We had to use it in one of our mobile electric lifts today as the battery in it had died. It went 0-6' in 3.3 seconds.