odometer pigtail direction

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I had swapped gauges earlier without completely removing the gauge cluster w/o trouble. I am now reinstalling the gauge cluster after having my OEM panel reanodized.

All the gauges have unidirectional pigtails. Well, all but one. The LCD odometer "gauge". It was tightly held in place with a drop of silicone and when I finally popped it off, I lost my grip and I did not evaluate which way the 5-way connector plugged in. This is not a unidirectional pigtail connector Like everything else.

The pigtail is labeled with a 1 and a 5 but the Noritake LCD unit is not numbered. I don’t want to plug it in backwards and create a problem.

I looked in the manual but I couldn’t find any reference to this pigtail direction.

I robbed a picture from Speedhut, the circle is almost perfectly over the LCD pins (For reference). I don’t want to peel the copper foil off to see more. I see silicone in their pictures too so that must be how Ford assembled it originally.

Anyone know which direction I need to plug the pigtail so I don’t fry something?

Attachments

• IMG_0181.png
    IMG_0181.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 31

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Edit: I pulled the screws around the Noritake LCD module and found a #1 underneath a screw head on the upper right. Plugged the pigtail in with the #1 up and it worked.

the weird glow above the gauges is the reflection of the gauge lighting in the polished CF binnacle. Can’t see that from the seated position though.

Attachments

• IMG_2824.jpeg
    IMG_2824.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: extrap

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
If you plug it in backwards the odometer will go down. lol

Reactions: extrap and 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Glad you got it. Im just getting to the Forum today. My 6 year old recollection was that there was some tab or something to orient it, but apparently not. Otherwise I would have suggested to see how the connector naturally hamgs, because after 18 years it should have conformed one way.

Reactions: Special K and 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Glad you got it. Im just getting to the Forum today. My 6 year old recollection was that there was some tab or something to orient it, but apparently not. Otherwise I would have suggested to see how the connector naturally hangs, because after 18 years it should have conformed one way.

I Considered this, cause it did have memory like you suggested. It ultimately did have the correct memory orientation, I was just paranoid that I would fry a hard-to-replace LCD module.

I did have to use magnification to see that #1 BTW.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The blue multi-pin connector is for the McIntosh unit, anyone know what the gray pin connector is for?

Attachments

• IMG_2829.jpeg
    IMG_2829.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 23

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
IIRC, it was for the base radio, so it just hangs there.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Ah, makes sense, thank you

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Nice CF piece around switches! Had to be careful not to scratch it! I replaced my small gauges (actually GT Guys did ) in 2015, then I had to replace tach 1 yr later. Such “ an art” removing the gauge cluster! If you done it often like Rich, easy, I watched him! It was a bear by myself, need to torque it right way when pulling! My high beam light indicator out since. Probably became unplugged during the process. Not willing to pull it again. Wait to see if large gauges go and replace with GT guys new updated versions!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thank you. I gently radiused and polished the edges of the brushed aluminum gauge panel before having it re-anodized.

Made it WAY easier to get in. You would never know I did that looking at it. Still snug around the edges.

I Still taped everything off tho to be safe.