Not your typical new GT Owner

fstrthanu

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2023
Detroit
Just took delivery last week of the 05 4 option GT with 9k mi. Rich Brooks has already picked it up and will begin the phase 1 repairs. Considering doing a full carbon body with OEM body lines as well. I am pretty exited about this build!

Attachments

• IMG_7270.JPEG
    IMG_7270.JPEG
    3.1 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_7271.JPEG
    IMG_7271.JPEG
    3.4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7276.JPEG
    IMG_7276.JPEG
    2.6 MB · Views: 83

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What is the back story on the car?

fstrthanu

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2023
Detroit
A short summary of the background is I lived in Japan for 3 years and I saw this car sitting outside of a coffee shop. When I stopped to take a couple pictures of a FGT in Japan, an older man with 2 hearing aids and walks pretty slow came outside and surprisingly spoke a little English and we hit it off. He purchased the car new and would occasionally take it out for Sunday morning coffee. We became friends and spent most of our time talking about cars. I told him one day I will buy his FGT when he is ready before I returned to US. Shortly after I returned I found he was in the hospital and had a bad wreck, when he was well enough he began texting me and asking to help him repair the car but the language barrier with the shop in Japan and the parts availability was not going to let this happen. We brokered a deal and I promised I would do everything possible to save this "treasure" and give him the opportunity to come to the US and drive in the FGT again. So this project has some sentential value for me. Before the car came to the US I started reaching out to a couple friends who own these cars and getting a grasp on the culture of the people in this group. I know to undertake a project like this it will require a good network with the availability of parts being so scarce and expensive. Part of that search led me to this site and also to Rich Brooks who happens to be local to me. He took the time to chat with me and let me know what I was in for before I even finished the deal and about a week after it arrived he came to my house and we spent a couple hours talking about the best way to go about this project. One week later he called me up and said he was making a delivery to a customer at M1 Concourse and would like to come pick up my car to start the first phase if I was ready. Well... needless to say it is now at his shop.

Attachments

• IMG_7563.JPG
    IMG_7563.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Best thing you could have done. Good luck. It is in the best hands.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Amazing story. Pretty exciting. Keep us posted on the progress and your friend.

fstrthanu

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2023
Detroit
Amazing story. Pretty exciting. Keep us posted on the progress and your friend.
I see you are from Carlsbad; I grew up in San Diego and graduated from Mt. Carmel HS.

Reactions: MJSFRX

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Welcome! Cool story, and it's in excellent hands (y) Looking forward to updates and seeing it on the road and at the next Rally.

Reactions: fstrthanu

fstrthanu

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2023
Detroit
Welcome! Cool story, and it's in excellent hands (y) Looking forward to updates and seeing it on the road and at the next Rally.
Thanks, this will be a long road but I will definitely be documenting this repair and every step of the project as it unfolds!

Tom

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
That is a great story. I look forward to your subsequent posts on it's rehabilitation.

How did you get the car back to the states? Ship or air?

fstrthanu

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2023
Detroit
That is a great story. I look forward to your subsequent posts on it's rehabilitation.

How did you get the car back to the states? Ship or air?
Almost 4 months on a boat to NY port

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Almost 4 months on a boat to NY port

Damn....

GSix

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 27, 2021
Chicagoland
Great story, Rich is the go-to guy for sure.

fstrthanu

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2023
Detroit
All the exposed aluminum has a salt/corrosive coating from being on the boat. Easy clean up but LOTS of clean up.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
It was not inside a container? In case you don't already know, salt corrodes aluminum into dust very quickly. Make sure you REALLY clean out all the salt, then apply anticorrosion coatings to the back sides and to all enclosed panels. Rich should know the best approach.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In case you don't already know, salt corrodes aluminum into dust very quickly.
Which is why racing the salt flats is not advised

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112 and PeteK

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Which is why racing the salt flats is not advised

‘I have seen people drive out there just for the photo opportunity.

No thanks.

fstrthanu

GT Owner
Jul 19, 2023
Detroit
It was not inside a container? In case you don't already know, salt corrodes aluminum into dust very quickly. Make sure you REALLY clean out all the salt, then apply anticorrosion coatings to the back sides and to all enclosed panels. Rich should know the best approach.
Pete,
It was for sure in a container but that moisture makes it way in there. I have shipped a bunch of cars back and forth to Australia and it is pretty common. Just surface corrosion and it does wipe off easily, just a PITA because there is lots of clean up.

Tom

Reactions: roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Great story!
If it’s in Rich Brooks hands , well you are in great hands!

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
I see you are from Carlsbad; I grew up in San Diego and graduated from Mt. Carmel HS.
Always welcome to come visit

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Can't wait to see this completed! Keep us posted on the progress. Always great to have Rich on a project!

Reactions: extrap