Non-GT crashes at Road Atlanta today

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Today was spent at Road Atlanta enjoying everything except 2 separate crashes which occurred almost simultaneously. Apparently a Porsche dumped antifreeze (or oil) on the straight after the last turn and soon started blowing clouds of smoke on the straight when a C5 Z06 came out of the turn and powered into the unseen slick. The Vette lost control and hit the inside concrete wall at a severe angle greater than 90 degrees, then spun around and slid to a stop with the passenger side against the wall. IMO the only thing that possibly could have saved the Vette once it hit the slick would have been traction control. It looked real bad and there were no signs from either occupant until they were assisted from the wreckage and both
were walking and with a new appreciation for air bags. While the Vette was sliding down the wall, the smoking Porsche hit the wall in Turn One. He also was not injured. I saw the first one and heard the 2nd. Fortunately these 2 cars were isolated out of traffic and more fortunately no one was hurt,
although the Vette will soon have a salvage title.
I was there to see the Robertson Racing GT and watch a couple of local GT owners in their race cars. The Robertson GT looked and sounded the fastest, but there was a psychedelic painted Porsche and Big Wing Z06 which were also screamers. :cheers

H

HHGT

And why did you not invite me Kirby?

Sam

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
I don't know very much about the track rules for your car breaking down but why didn't the Porsche stop on the side of the road instead of continuing on into turn 1 just to crash? Was he trying to make it back around the track to enter the pit?

I'm really glad to hear the Vette's driver and passenger are alright sad to lose Vette but i'd rather you lose your Vette then your life.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Been in Europe for three weeks..., but I understand last weekend (or possibly the weekend before) a life was lost on turn 9 at Willow Springs.

Turn 9 is the fastest banked sweeper on what is promoted as the fastest track in the West.

Need to be careful and respectful of our super cars.

Mother Bony

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
And why did you not invite me Kirby?

Sam

Sam, you have a perpetual standing invitation. :cheers

As for Ford GT Guy's comment, IMO some things occur faster than they can be processed and crashes are sometimes a consequence.