No Mac?

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Having the mac in my car I can't help but wonder why people wish they did not have it?

Why do you not want it?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sub location for me, with out it there is a clean and even useful pocket. In over a year, I literally have only turned on the radio twice. Ironically I am in the AV business...... Engine music is toooo good to not enjoy on it's own.......

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
dan said:
Having the mac in my car I can't help but wonder why people wish they did not have it? Why do you not want it?
Please do not take my response personally, but rather a passionate response to what has clearly been a major PIMA from day one.

Because its appearance is hideous, it's asymmetrical, it occupies otherwise precious storage space, it blocks ones view of the supercharger, it blocks one view of the passenger, it looks like ghetto-box, it thumps right next to ones ear, it's an embarrassment that I felt I had to explain or apologize for, its mere presence is inconsistent with the beauty of this magnificent automobile.

I'll wind up spending a ~$1,750 and many hours of my time (which BTW I have precious little of) to rid myself of this monstrous atrocity. It's obvious that little to no thought went into the design. Did I leave anything out?

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I like the MAC. I think its a Must.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Subs R us.

I'm just not happy with where the sub was put. I'm relocating it to behind the seats. I've gotten over what a waste of money it was. :bored

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
I use my radio to check the road and radar reports only, same as many of you guys. I prefer to listen to the revs.

For those who don't know, with the standard radio system (which is entirely adequate BTW) the space between the seats has a nice hard pocket that the owner's manual leather case fits into perfectly, with enough room for the ins. papers plus tire guage. Nothing else though. I prefer it this way. Guys who don't like their Mac sub should really consider either fitting the OEM piece, or even maybe making a nice pouch with a flap like a motorcycle bag. Maybe.

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
From what I've read, blocking the view of the supercharger and idler pulley (I THINK) is what most people don't like, as well as limiting the already limited cargo space.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
jj1987 said:
From what I've read, blocking the view of the supercharger and idler pulley (I THINK) is what most people don't like, as well as limiting the already limited cargo space.

This is why I removed mine.

dan

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
I thought the sub was the reason. I have seen where someone has the "package" to move the sub. What is involved and who has the pieces for the factory pouch?

jj1987

Jun 9, 2006
dan said:
I thought the sub was the reason. I have seen where someone has the "package" to move the sub. What is involved and who has the pieces for the factory pouch?
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3511&page=1&pp=10

Heres some info, I don't think it's all of what you wanted, but it should get you started :thumbsup

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I drove an early prototype GT without the Sub, and several months later I drove one with the Sub. It is not an overstatement to say I was blown away (in a bad way) at how much I hated the Sub. The blocked view of the engine (something I LOVED about driving the early prototype) was my first point of contention. But as I drove the car around over the course of two days I grew to hate the claustrophobic feel it gave the cabin and the way it hampered my interaction with passengers.

When I ordered mine I had every option checked except that one and my dealer actually called me up, "Did you just forget to check the audio upgrade option?" I responded quite emphatically, "NO! No McIntosh! No McIntosh!"

It's truly ironic, because I grew up with audiophile brothers and became one myself, and I love classic American audio components (Harman/Kardon, JBL, DCM, and McIntosh). And yes, I'm a big fan of tubes, too. I thought it was cool when Subaru started putting McIntosh audio head units in their cars, particularly because they had the classic McIntosh style to them with the big metal knobs and such. If Ford hadn't used that Sub design I would have been thrilled with the head unit, but I'd rather have the base unit than that giant black hole in my car.

In a perfect world I'd have gotten the McIntosh head unit with no Sub, but I hear that removing the Sub requires a big re-work of the wiring just to keep the head unit playing (not to mention the cost of the OEM panel between the seats). What a nightmare. Glad I avoided the whole mess. I plan on putting in an aftermarket head unit soon (yes, I'll be putting the factory stereo in padded box for posterity). I demand MP3 capability from my cars these days, and if I can make my 1970 GTX and 1973 Saab Sonett play them, I expect my 2005 Ford to do it, too.

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
I love it a must in my book turn it up!!!! :banana

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
didn't want the weight. wanted the space. I gives me a place to hang 2 cupholders, for those long highway trips. :biggrin

Aug 25, 2006
I ordered mine with the MAC and like the stereo however as others have shared the sub being next to my shoulder got old in a hurry. Besides the music separation within the cab was limited. Now that I have relocated the sub/amp combination the sound is MUCH better and the looks are much cleaner...... IMO only; please do not take offense if you feel different.

Having shared this I rarely listen to it because I enjoy the exhaust tone and the supercharger whine far more.....

Takes care

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
ENZO BTR said:
I drove an early prototype GT without the Sub, and several months later I drove one with the Sub. It is not an overstatement to say I was blown away (in a bad way) at how much I hated the Sub. The blocked view of the engine (something I LOVED about driving the early prototype) was my first point of contention. But as I drove the car around over the course of two days I grew to hate the claustrophobic feel it gave the cabin and the way it hampered my interaction with passengers.

When I ordered mine I had every option checked except that one and my dealer actually called me up, "Did you just forget to check the audio upgrade option?" I responded quite emphatically, "NO! No McIntosh! No McIntosh!"

It's truly ironic, because I grew up with audiophile brothers and became one myself, and I love classic American audio components (Harman/Kardon, JBL, DCM, and McIntosh). And yes, I'm a big fan of tubes, too. I thought it was cool when Subaru started putting McIntosh audio head units in their cars, particularly because they had the classic McIntosh style to them with the big metal knobs and such. If Ford hadn't used that Sub design I would have been thrilled with the head unit, but I'd rather have the base unit than that giant black hole in my car.

In a perfect world I'd have gotten the McIntosh head unit with no Sub, but I hear that removing the Sub requires a big re-work of the wiring just to keep the head unit playing (not to mention the cost of the OEM panel between the seats). What a nightmare. Glad I avoided the whole mess. I plan on putting in an aftermarket head unit soon (yes, I'll be putting the factory stereo in padded box for posterity). I demand MP3 capability from my cars these days, and if I can make my 1970 GTX and 1973 Saab Sonett play them, I expect my 2005 Ford to do it, too.

The relocation process is easy and DOES NOT require the factory harness to be modified. Look at the thread in the tech section called "if you lile the sub do not read this"

Takes care

Shadowman

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
My car budget is pretty tight, I was originally looking at the 997 GT3.

When I found a Ford GT after much research, without the sub and painted stripe, I liked the rarity, the fact that it was cheaper without these options, was a big plus.

I'm not really into stereos on sports cars - I mean it's cool, but not a necessity for me.

And I really wanted to be able to see the supercharger pulley unobstructed. Also, with the amount of storage space already limited, I thought the extra pocket would be welcome.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Like the sound, don't like the look, but that's the way it came, that's the way it will stay.