Nitto 05's verses Hoosiers

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
I was hoping someone here could give me some advice on the Nitto 05's verses the Hoosier A6 tires. This site was very helpfull when I replaced the tires on my GT and there is a lot of experience in rear engine high horsepower here.

These are for my Mosler. I currently run the A6's but since they are almost 2 years old I was thinking they may be at the end of their life.

One of the things I do not like about the Hoosiers is the way they pick up the rocks and throw them inside the wheel wells. I was told the Nittos stick just as well but I have no way of comparing the two.

The Hoosiers hook up OK but they still spin on launch pretty bad and under full throttle acceleration they usually break loose around 4500 rpm in 2nd.

Not worried about size issues as I have 2 sets of wheels 18's and 19 in rear and 19 and 20's in rear.

If I get 2 years and 1,000 miles I will be happy so longevity isn't a big issue.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
The Nittos will not stick like the Hoosiers, nothing else does either. Depends what's most important to you: stick or stones.

Howard

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
It's like the Heisenberg uncertainty thing, you can't have both, at least with that kind of hp.
Speaking of Mosler, didn't know they made a Heritage model:

http://www.moslerauto.com/street-gallery.php#

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
The Nittos will not stick like the Hoosiers, nothing else does either. Depends what's most important to you: stick or stones.

Howard

Actually Mickey Thompson ET Street II's stick better than Hoosiers (straight line driving). I get full traction on the street in second gear at 1178 hp.

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
Is is safe to assume that after 24 months my existing Hoosiers should be replaced.

I only have 1500 miles on them but I have been reading that they do not last that long. What brought this question up in the first place is I felt them give a little in a turn. Probably just the set up of the car with under steer but I need some advice on the effect of time on grip.

They have worked very well for me so far even had a flat at 80mph and the only thing I noticed was a noise where the stick went through the tire and hit the wheel well.

On the link above to the Mosler website my car is the second one from the left the red one. Basically when you ordered the car you could specify the paint scheme to whatever you wanted.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I get the same life out of my rear Hoosiers as I do my rear Goodyear F1s. The Hoosiers are stickier as hell though. My GT will spin any rear tire but the Hoosiers are the stickiest all around tire in the dry.

Ed

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I was hoping someone here could give me some advice on the Nitto 05's verses the Hoosier A6 tires. This site was very helpfull when I replaced the tires on my GT and there is a lot of experience in rear engine high horsepower here.

These are for my Mosler. I currently run the A6's but since they are almost 2 years old I was thinking they may be at the end of their life.

One of the things I do not like about the Hoosiers is the way they pick up the rocks and throw them inside the wheel wells. I was told the Nittos stick just as well but I have no way of comparing the two.

The Hoosiers hook up OK but they still spin on launch pretty bad and under full throttle acceleration they usually break loose around 4500 rpm in 2nd.

Not worried about size issues as I have 2 sets of wheels 18's and 19 in rear and 19 and 20's in rear.

If I get 2 years and 1,000 miles I will be happy so longevity isn't a big issue.

After the Hoosier the next best tire for grip is the Mich. Pilot Sport Cup tires.. OEM tires fot the Viper ACR, ZR1, and Prosche GT2's . Hoosiers are a 40 wear rating . the Sport cups are 80 and have rain treads etc,,