news of whipple 4.5l?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
anyone with official update on that product? was rumored a while back.

price? expected performance bump?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I think Fubar has the latest version, I thought it was a 5L.

As for a performance bump unless you run better fuel and fuel system, I wouldn't expect a big bump even over the oldest, smallest Whipple.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
How much boost can these things handle? 5.0 liter? That's a lot of air!

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Bumping this up, any news ?

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
My news back via my tuner who was just at SEMA last week and spoke with Whipple directly is that it's actually a 4.8L blower. I'm told the info will be emailed through when it's about to be released....unfort don't know when that will be. Very interested to hear the performance figures quoted when it's released. Lets see what that .8L brings to the table and for how much..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
My news back via my tuner who was just at SEMA last week and spoke with Whipple directly is that it's actually a 4.8L blower. I'm told the info will be emailed through when it's about to be released....unfort don't know when that will be. Very interested to hear the performance figures quoted when it's released. Lets see what that .8L brings to the table and for how much..
Not much better if you aren't going to use better fuel than the 91 octane available to me in CA and you are willing to mod the fuel system to get more flow from the pumps and injectors.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Not much better if you aren't going to use better fuel than the 91 octane available to me in CA and you are willing to mod the fuel system to get more flow from the pumps and injectors.

At least we are tuning to essentially a min 93 Octane level(prob fractionally more) here with our Shell VPower Premium. Just 2 weeks ago we tried some larger aftermarket injectors(not the rec GT500 ones) in my 4.0L setup, but I'm told car didn't run as nicely as with the stock ones did on top of the freshly added JMS BAP. I agree though as much as I love CA, I don't reckon I'd like modding my cars much if I lived there from what I've heard..

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
At least we are tuning to essentially a min 93 Octane level(prob fractionally more) here with our Shell VPower Premium. Just 2 weeks ago we tried some larger aftermarket injectors(not the rec GT500 ones) in my 4.0L setup, but I'm told car didn't run as nicely as with the stock ones did on top of the freshly added JMS BAP. I agree though as much as I love CA, I don't reckon I'd like modding my cars much if I lived there from what I've heard..
Not at least if you want to follow the letter of the law.

How do you like the JMS?

I have a BAP installed and I am trying to refine my returnless fuel pump tune parameters. I never did like how it works during quick transitions of the throttle.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
4.5 on the GT500. Look at that ridiculous pulley. 4.5" and it still makes 18 lbs of boost.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1,468

MRL

Feb 22, 2013

How do you like the JMS?

I have a BAP installed and I am trying to refine my returnless fuel pump tune parameters. I never did like how it works during quick transitions of the throttle.

Do you have the hobs switch hooked up? If so I recommend ditching it and wiring the bap on full time. Much easier to tune and elminates the transitional pressure spikes that can cause drivability symptoms and blow FRP sensor diaphrams. The Kenne Bell and JMS units are basically the same and both work very well.

As for these new huge blowers....useless on a street setup. A 4.0 whipple is more than enough to make 1000+rwhp which is far beyond the scope of pump gas and the stock fuel system. As for injectors....Injector Dynamics is the only choice imo. Its not easy or cheap to make a large injector work well at low duty cycle. Injector Dynamics are light years ahead of everyone else plus Paul Yaw publishes all the slopes and specs to make tuning a breeze. I have ID2000cc injectors in a Mustang that starts and idles like stock.

Quite honestly, the best option for making more pump gas friendly power is to build a proper engine. The 5.4 combo we use in GTs and Shelby's will easily yeild 100+ rwhp with no increase in blower size or boost(assuming blower is sufficient already and supporting mods are in place).

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
All this talk of power is inspiring, but the car suffers terribly from cooling issues when they are amped up. There just isn't enough air flow across it's radiator stack to support much more than 650hp for more than 10-15min of continuous hard sport driving - whether that's on a track or on a great mountain road. If all you want is a gigantic throttle burp in front of the Hard Rock Saturday night or to impress a Corvette in a sprint, fine. But heaven forbid you want to lay it down and use the whole car for any length of time. This motor makes a world of torque down low, that's where it is fun and kicks ass, but that means lots of heat to deal with. You will need cooling options.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The new Whipple is a 5.0L, according to the invoice. As stated above, you need more fuel system capacity to make it work. I found the 4.0L Whipple to be on the edge of the stock fuel systems capability but others are comfortable with it. My car is coming together so I can't tell you what the 5.0L will do. Whipple claims that the bigger SC is more efficient but that is relative to the power and boost you are targeting. Any boost over +28lbs really needs specialized fuel and the heat of a supercharger system amplifies that issue. I think I addressed the cooling issue but it was not a minor alteration. It has also not been completed yet so my solution is untested. I will certianly post up my projects results, when I have some.

I would just stick with the 4.0L or do the turbo-supercharger combo if you really want to move.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Do you have the hobs switch hooked up? If so I recommend ditching it and wiring the bap on full time. Much easier to tune and elminates the transitional pressure spikes that can cause drivability symptoms and blow FRP sensor diaphrams. The Kenne Bell and JMS units are basically the same and both work very well.

I have the BAP install pre-FPDM and it is always on without the hobbs switch. Try logging the fuel pressure while doing a pull in 2nd and then shift into 3rd if you lift the throttle as use shift you will see a pressure spike you cannot avoid with a returnless system and then you will see a low pressure condition for a short while as the engine starts its' pull in 3rd. I believe this 2nd issue may be minimized with a better voltage table, manifold volume, LWFM table and PID variables.

Another interesting test is to just put the car in neutral and stab the throttle full off to full on quickly letting the RPMs stay between 2K and 6K.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
JDM makes drop in cams for out GT's and cobra jets, etc that make 100 rwhp. all you have to do is change the springs out. i want them but my fuel pumps are maxed out....

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Black, why can't a small air tank be placed in the fuel line (close to the rails) to absorb pressure spikes, like air bladders in household water tanks to prevent water hammer?

Howard

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
Black....those spikes can be tuned out. We run several 800+rwhp cars on a returnless system, very little spike and certainly no pressure drop on the up slope. Lol I have seen poorly tuned cars easily spike over 100psi though....actually had a gt500 lift the fuel rails off the manifold from poor tuning. I thought it was a freak thing at first till I replaced the rails and logged the car....3-4 shift had a huge spike and would bend the rail mounting tabs enough to cause a scary leak.

That said...I've talked with Justin Fore about this in the past....but would there be a market in the gt community for an easy and affordable return system? Seems like one of the biggest complaints from gt owners looking for power is the fuel system. Billet rails that retain the factory feed line, a regulator, a simple return line that feeds back to the filler neck and 2 drop in replacement 400lph e85 compatible pumps. It would be easy enough to do...just would need a commitment from enough people.

As for cams....100rwhp off just cams is a huge streatch....actually a flat out lie. The only way a cam swap would net that kind of power is if you were making 1000+ already and choking the engine out with stock units, or if the entire powerband was moved up like 2000rpm.
There are only 2 guys I would ever get spec cams from for a 5.4 dohc, Mihovetz or Mike Rousher at L&M. Those 2 guys likely have done more modular cam r&d than the rest of the planet combined...and Mike from L&M handles all of comps modular cam issues....as in....if Comp needs help with a cam, they send it to Mike.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS

How do you like the JMS?

Lost track of this thread somehow.

My car has only arrived back locally last Fri, precisely when I had to be in city for the weekend. Now it's back at my buddies shop over Xmas as I'm out of storage space while family are visiting. Bad time to drive here as the cops and govt go into full holiday period speeding offensive. Pretty much lose your license for a few kmh over the limit.... So I won't be driving it for a while, story of my life it seems with timing. Cars been in shop all year pretty much getting various things done. Hopefully 2014 is a good driving year for it. That's unless the next round of whipple insanity takes hold ;)

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
It's a 4.5 liter now...wonder what gains there are at same boost levels? Anyone have one or know what the added HP output is over the same setup on a 4 liter?

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
It's a 4.5 liter now...wonder what gains there are at same boost levels? Anyone have one or know what the added HP output is over the same setup on a 4 liter?

I'll have info shortly. My tuner caught up with Dustin at SEMA and is keeping an eye on it to make sure they send him the data soon as it's avail. My guess is prob before Jan is out hopefully.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
i think the tuners are the best to ask locally to us, but since the 4.0 has a 30+rwhp boost over the 3.4, i'd guess its around the same... idk how the heat of the intake charge will affect it.