Newbie Needs Help

FNGTG

Dec 2, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I have recently started looking for a GT to buy and have limited knowledge about them. I am currently at the Mecum Auto Auction in Kississmee, Fl. There is a 2005, white w/ blue stripes, 3 options (no painted calipers), with 577 miles which will be auctioned off this weekend. I looked it over carefully today and could only find one small ding just above the rocker panel. But my question is about the rear bumper. There is about a 2 inch gap, which looks like it was designed that way. I just thought it was odd (I've never actually seen one in person) looking. Is this normal and what is the purpose?

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Where is the two inch gap? If between the body and the bumper, that sounds about right.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Yes - it is designed that way for the FMVSS Bumper Test Requirement.. and also YES --it works as designed!!
I know...Margaret hit me in the rear of the FGT with her car...broker her headlight and headlight wiper but the FGT was hardly touched.

AJB (andy)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
And you're stillllllllll married. That's true love.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Yes - it is designed that way for the FMVSS Bumper Test Requirement.. and also YES --it works as designed!!
I know...Margaret hit me in the rear of the FGT with her car...broker her headlight and headlight wiper but the FGT was hardly touched.

AJB (andy)

Damm, I have a wife too. Maybe I should put my bumper back on. My wife did back up and crushed a ladder I lefted in the driveway and she has crashed every one of her cars at least one time. Technically not her fault except for one crash, but most of them could have been avoided by being alert and driving defensively.

I guess EP stores his cars in a separate garage from his wife's vechicles. :lol

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I guess EP stores his cars in a separate garage from his wife's vechicles. :lol

Actually, with the exception of my DD, you're absolutely right!

(And there are 4X6 posts [ceiling supports] separating her DD's stall and mine!)

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Actually, with the exception of my DD, you're absolutely right!

(And there are three 6X6 posts [ceiling supports] separating her DD's stall and mine!)

You are a wise man!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
And you're stillllllllll married. That's true love.

We've hung out for coming up on 38 years.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I have recently started looking for a GT to buy and have limited knowledge about them. I am currently at the Mecum Auto Auction in Kississmee, Fl. There is a 2005, white w/ blue stripes, 3 options (no painted calipers), with 577 miles which will be auctioned off this weekend. I looked it over carefully today and could only find one small ding just above the rocker panel. But my question is about the rear bumper. There is about a 2 inch gap, which looks like it was designed that way. I just thought it was odd (I've never actually seen one in person) looking. Is this normal and what is the purpose?

If it happens to be one of the 200 Canadian cars it may have a factory installed bumper that protruded further out from the back of the car than the American cars (there are threads on this if you search). It looks really ugly but the modification was required to pass Canadian low-speed crash requirements. Having said this, I'm sure many of these extensions were removed by Canadian owners after delivery.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I think he just means the gap between the normal bumper and the body. The CDN cars did have an aluminium spacer, but it's very easily removed. But I suggest that he's looking at the 'normal' bumper USA car since ALL CDN cars are 2006 models, there were no 2005 Canada cars.

If it happens to be one of the 200 Canadian cars it may have a factory installed bumper that protruded further out from the back of the car than the American cars (there are threads on this if you search). It looks really ugly but the modification was required to pass Canadian low-speed crash requirements. Having said this, I'm sure many of these extensions were removed by Canadian owners after delivery.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
If you want a GT it may be a decent buy if car is a "no stories" example. The past few Mecum actions the few GT's sold were slightly below market value. May or may not
be the case today.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
We're you the winner?