New vehicle inspection-suggestions?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Hello, this is my first post. I am picking up a new 2006 GT next month from a dealer and driving it about 1000 miles home. Is there any areas of the vehicle I should pay closer attention to when I inspect it (beyond the usual items) that might cause a problem on the drive home?

The FORDGTPRICES.COM site saved me a bundle as I held off on my purchase and got a 2006 GT under (ever so slightly) invoice. Best of all (for me anyway), the dealer paid attention to some of the feedback on this site and ordered the car with all options except the McIntosh stereo.

Thanks for your input and great site by the way.

Best regards,

Paul

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Paul and welcome..... Congratulations on the new purchase too - what colour did you go for?

In terms of checking - if it's new, there's a few things and I guess others will add.

1. There should be a dust cover with the car - along with a zip up bag - tucked under the nose cone/bonnet/trunk/front!

2. In the same location should be a trickle charger. 'We' (that's the Royal we!) don't suggest using it (use a battery tender instead), however it should be there. There should also be a tyre inflator (electric pump).

3. There should be a book that comes with the GT - mine didn't have this so I can't say precisely what it is, however it's an owners/collectable thing.

4. The owners handbook of course - it should be sealed in a polythene bag.

5. Mileage. From memory every 10th GT was road tested - so it's either got 6 miles on the clock or a slightly higher number. (I can't remember what the higher number should be).

6. Under the clamshell/rear deck - I'd just have a peer in there to see if there are any leaks or anything untoward. The front of the supercharger pully should be dry. Hopefully the transaxle vent/breather should be dry too.

7. Run your fingers under the front splitter - just check it hasn't been hit or is not scored too badly.

8. Finally just check the tyre pressures if you're going to take a 1,000 mile drive.

I can't think of anything else really - let us know how you get on.

Neil

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Remember, you have essentially no luggage space. Rearward vision is slim, so be careful backing up, especially of the rear diffuser. The doors must be open pretty much all the way (90 degrees) to get in and out, so be careful where you park. Don't punch it while you're turning. Finally send Centerpunch a donation for starting the GTprices website (see threads here).

Viper 1

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
New Car tips

If you are driving a 1000 miles then you should have clear bra installed before you leave. Too many trucks, too many rocks. 3M makes a kit to do the whole front end. I had mine done as well as the rockers, the mirrors, quarters, front of the roof and the wheelwells. Also, the front of the side scoops. Do it, you'll be glad you did. Ken

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thanks for the information. Paul n/t

n/t