New to track GT or ZO6

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
My kids got me an open track day at Miller Motorsports park for Christmas. I have never driven on a track before and am trying to decide whether to start out with my GT or my 06 ZO6. Any advice?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Learn on the Z06 which is < 1/2 the cost of a GT.

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
Learn on the Z06 which is < 1/2 the cost of a GT.

^ +1

Kave

GT Owner
Nov 13, 2006
My kids got me an open track day at Miller Motorsports park for Christmas. I have never driven on a track before and am trying to decide whether to start out with my GT or my 06 ZO6. Any advice?

Traction control. its like having god as your co pilot.

H

HHGT

Deffinetly take the Z06. I'll drive the GT for you.:biggrin

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
What organization(club) is running the trackday? Maybe they can find you an instructor?

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Start With Z06:biggrin
GT1.jpg

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
As a former director of a race school and instructor, I advise that you definitely take the Corvette. I have instructed in the Corvette, and it is fairly forgiving. The optimum would be to take a spec Miata out for your first track day. Less is more!

Last edited:

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Z-06 or a very gentle throttle on the GT

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The C6 Z has lots of electronannies to save you in case you get in over your head, and of course, it's much more easily replaceable...

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
go to hertz and get a Lincoln LS or a V6 mustang. That would be even better.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Rent the Hertz Mustang GT-H, isn't that what it's designed for?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
your a lucky man to have great kids, ... Larry's track is the cat's meow!:biggrin enjoy and be safe.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Having raced for a long time, take the Vette, plenty of fun, and as others mention, electronics, if you need them. Get more into it, learn, then take the GT! Spec Miata is a great choice for a track car too, assuming you wnat to learn how to RACE, vs driving a high HP car in a speed limitless environment.

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
What organization(club) is running the trackday? Maybe they can find you an instructor?

The track has instructors and I pretty sure one session with an instructor is mandatory before they turn you loose.

Thanks for all the input, I was leaning the same way, I have had corvettes most of my adult life and thought I was a driver until I spun the GT on exiting a slow 90° turn on a public road the first week I had it. All I did was romp on it a little at the apex. That scared the crap out of me and got me thinking I better learn how to drive a mid engine no nanny car.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Use which ever car you desire. The Z06 has traction control and competitive handling while the GT needs discretion with your right foot just like when driven on the street. Remember to warm tires and brakes before trying to drive quickly. You probably spun out because of cold tires/pavement.

If it is your first time I doubt that you will go fast enough to get into too much trouble especially with an instructor. Keep the instructor as long as you can. Don't be anxious about going solo.

Dave

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
A few thing to think about;
1.most people don't sit close enough.Position yourself so you can dangle you wrists over the steering wheel.
2.hand position should be 9&3 or 10&2.Don't clench the wheel ,RELAX AND BREATH
THE BASICS;
1.Vision.This means look where you want to go,once you see your breaking point ,than look for the apex,than look for your track out ,than look down the straight for your next braking point .Keep looking far ahead .This is how you develop your sense of speed.ie when your on the highway looking right over the hood at the road it seems much faster than if you look farther ahead .Don't tilt your head,all your balance is in your ears.
2. Soothness. do everything smoothly, steering ,breaking applying the throttle .Squesse and ease is the idea.
3. drive the line. In order to get around the track quickly and safely,you must drive the line.remember once you hit the apex the turn is over and that is when you start to SMOOTHLY unwind the wheel.If you feel that you are running out of track at the exit,that tells you that you turned in to early and therefore apexed to early.next time turn in later.Use reference points for braking ,apex and exit.
4.FOCUS;It is important to stay focused.If you make a mistake don't linger on it,focus on whats ahead of you.Its like spilled milk ,it behind you now.
Remember you are just learnig so you have to go slow, to get fast.Just like any other sport it takes practice to get good.
5. RELAX,RELAX,RELAX... BREATH,BREATH...
HAVE FUN !!! ITS BETTER THAN SEX!!!!!
Hope this helps you,best of luck.Ron

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
Thanks for all the input & advice, really good info for the novice here. Waiting for the weather to warm up a little to schedule the track day. I will let everyone know how it goes and if I like it enough to pursue further.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
I have tracked them both, and the GT is fairly easy to drive on the track . Just use common sense. That being said the Z06 would make much more sense the very first time out.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Well?....After reading the posts, what are you going to take to the track?