New Supercar is TwinTurbo ecoboost

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
You forgot to take out the footnote notation in your quote from wiki:biggrin
But since we're going that route (emphasis mine):

Critics of the car consider it underwhelming for such an expensive, powerful and high performance machine. Motoring journalists have been critical of the interior and the car itself for being too comfortable and lacking the sense of occasion present with other supercars.[53] Commentators who approve of the interior have criticised the luggage space as being "largely useless".[51] Journalists and other commentators often bemoaned the lack of the Jaguar V12 engine and other technical components fitted to the concept car. Contemporary reviews pondered on whether the sales performance and residual values would have been improved by sticking more closely to the specification of the concept car.[7]

Sales performance was disappointing. Jaguar had intended to produce up to 350 cars, but production ceased in 1994 with 275 production cars produced, not all of which had been sold; some left-hand drive examples were still available in 1997.[54][55]

My point was just that there was indeed a v6 Supercar. The XJ220 by all accounts was underwhelming from a quality perspective (it WAS a Jag after all), but I believe history shows that it was ahead of its time in the area of power train much like the Buick GN with smaller displacement and turbocharging. Now that technology has caught up (DI, faster processors, etc) ecoboost technology has been able to thrive. Who would have thought that the F-150 would have 4 engine choices, THREE of which are v6 variants.

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
FWIW I was hoping for an ecoboost voodoo...

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Keep in mind, cars are catering to an entirely new generation of "up an comers"

Cars that generate 800 ft/lb torque are going to be sexy whether they are gas, electric or hydrogen powered.

The time for cylinder size equalling "manhood" may be coming to an end. However, I myself and many in this group believe that sticks are better than paddle shifters... 8 cylinders are better than four... Times are changing and I'm not thrilled.

Technology wins races... Race wins, sell cars. Doesn't matter what you think really, especially when a 1955, 6 cylinder Mercedes Gullwing sells for 1.5mil or a 6 cylinder Ferrari Dino sells for 400k. From '51 thru '56 Ferrari used 4 Cylinder engines in Formula I.

It may be a full circle here and I'm willing (grudgingly) to embrace whatever they announce.

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I'm old school and most definitely want a V8 and manual in my car, but I think this bodes well for Ford if true. It clearly shows they are looking to the future and not the past. Thinking outside the box is always risky, but it provides the greatest reward if you get it right.

While I agree that selling a V6 car in this segment will take more effort than one with a more tradition "supercar" engine (assuming Ford will even market the new car as a "supercar"), the fact that the TTV6 is now more popular than a traditional V8 in the best selling truck in the U.S. clearly shows attitudes are changing about displacement and cylinder count. Other than the smart people at Ford, few predicted the take rate for the TTV6 in the F150, the best selling vehicle in North America, would eclipse the V8. Ford managed to pull that off in a very tough segment dominated by V8s and stridently traditional buyers. Can anyone identify a group of buyers more traditional than those who buy trucks?

The TTV6 in the new car is also marketing genius. Imagine owners of the most popular vehicle in North America crowing that the engine in their truck won LeMans. In terms of marketing the transfer of technology between production and race cars, it doesn't get any better than that. I also think buyers will embrace the powertrain in an expensive sports car if the race car is successful (race on Sunday.....).

In the final analysis, my heart screams V8, but my head says TTV6.

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Ford GT/ GT40 were V8's, as all future GT endeavours should be.

I'm not a buyer of anything Ford calls a GT with a 6-cylinder engine, unless it's a lawnmower. Just something about an American supercar in a 6 banger that deflates my hard-on.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
I'm old school and most definitely want a V8 and manual in my car, but I think this bodes well for Ford if true. It clearly shows they are looking to the future and not the past. Thinking outside the box is always risky, but it provides the greatest reward if you get it right.

While I agree that selling a V6 car in this segment will take more effort than one with a more tradition "supercar" engine (assuming Ford will even market the new car as a "supercar"), the fact that the TTV6 is now more popular than a traditional V8 in the best selling truck in the U.S. clearly shows attitudes are changing about displacement and cylinder count. Other than the smart people at Ford, few predicted the take rate for the TTV6 in the F150, the best selling vehicle in North America, would eclipse the V8. Ford managed to pull that off in a very tough segment dominated by V8s and stridently traditional buyers. Can anyone identify a group of buyers more traditional than those who buy trucks?

The TTV6 in the new car is also marketing genius. Imagine owners of the most popular vehicle in North America crowing that the engine in their truck won LeMans. In terms of marketing the transfer of technology between production and race cars, it doesn't get any better than that. I also think buyers will embrace the powertrain in an expensive sports car if the race car is successful (race on Sunday.....).

In the final analysis, my heart screams V8, but my head says TTV6.

Well-stated, as usual. I agree.

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Sorry to briefly go off-topic, but would love to see a thread on your Whippled Jeep project sometime...

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
maybe ford is just celebrating its 50 year anniversary win at lemans and not necessarily a GT 40 reincarnation. I think i could liver with a turbo V6 but the idea of paddle shifters is really disappointing !! But newer technology seems to dictate it :(! Look at F1. Our GTs are looking better every day!!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Ford GT/ GT40 were V8's, as all future GT endeavours should be.

I'm not a buyer of anything Ford calls a GT with a 6-cylinder engine, unless it's a lawnmower. Just something about an American supercar in a 6 banger that deflates my hard-on.

What he said

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Meh. Was developed as a V12, produced as a TTV6. Was a relative flop as a result. Next!:)

To be fair to the XJ220, the flop had more to do with the fact the car got an absolutely stupid amount more expensive just as the entire supercar market caved in on itself. That was one seriously expensive car for the era. Minus the global recession that wasted the speculators, I think the car would have been viewed more positively, and it definitely gets some love from the automotive press now. I still think the S models of that car are pretty bad ass looking.

5439930303_f53a534d7c_z.jpg

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...the fact that the TTV6 is now more popular than a traditional V8 in the best selling truck in the U.S. clearly shows attitudes are changing about displacement and cylinder count...few predicted the take rate for the TTV6 in the F150, the best selling vehicle in North America, would eclipse the V8. Ford managed to pull that off in a very tough segment dominated by V8s and stridently traditional buyers. Can anyone identify a group of buyers more traditional than those who buy trucks?

But, the 'bottom line' truly was the bottom line there, no? It was a MPG/HP/torque/regular gas/$$$ decision more than anything else, was it not?

I'd wager MPG & regular gas aren't really major considerations for supercar buyers (forget the government. Buyers). My guess is 'sound' would even have a higher priority for them.

Imagine owners of the most popular vehicle in North America crowing that the engine in their truck won LeMans.

I seem to recall several FGT owners here who were none too happy about a similar comparison being made (by Clarkson and others) regarding the present FGT engine. (Remember Clarkson saying the FGT engine "...came out of one of Ford's 'peekup' trucks"?) So, whereas P/U owners may crow, there's evidence owners of new GTs likely wouldn't....especially since (as with the FGT's engine) the similarities, of necessity, would only be 'skin deep'.

'Just my $00.02 onnit... :wink

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
But, the 'bottom line' truly was the bottom line there, no? It was a MPG/HP/torque/regular gas/$$$ decision more than anything else, was it not?

The choice is clear for the LeMans race car: The Turbo V6 will weigh less and consume less fuel than the V8. This is important when you have a fixed amount of fuel to finish the race.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
The choice is clear for the LeMans race car: The Turbo V6 will weigh less and consume less fuel than the V8. This is important when you have a fixed amount of fuel to finish the race.

Actually, fuel is not fixed for Le Mans, but your point of certain economy vs performance is indeed important in any race.

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Clinton...10,000 around the corner!
The XJ220 production had to be sold off at steep discounts to the expected price. Demand dropped like a rock on Jupiter when the prospective customers were told it will have a V6 rather than a V12.

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Posts...
Clinton...10,000 around the corner!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
FWIW - had breakfast with a friend this AM who knows several of the Ford higher-ups. Said it will be a mid-engine hybrid, costing approx $400k.
Not sure significance of that, but he was pretty confidant of such.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
FWIW - had breakfast with a friend this AM who knows several of the Ford higher-ups. Said it will be a mid-engine hybrid, costing approx $400k.
Not sure significance of that, but he was pretty confidant of such.

And will weigh more than 3000 lbs, a lot more.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
And will weigh more than 3000 lbs, a lot more.

The homologated car with all the new airbags, etc. will likely weigh more than the FGT. The GTE minimum weight is 1245 kg (~2745lb) which is likely to be the race car target. They are allowed to remove things to achieve a lower weight so the weight without the bells and whistles will be the determining factor.

Last edited:

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
I just hope it looks really good. If it does, and performs well, two fewer cylinders wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. If it doesn't look all that great…I can't see myself getting too excited about it.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
If it looks cool and is fast, I'll be interested! Especially being a Ford.