New Spark Plugs

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I am thinking about replacing spark plugs. Does anyone know the correct socket size for replacing the plugs? Also, does this process require a torque wrench? If so, what setting? Thanks.

Aug 25, 2006
You will need a 5/8 spark plug socket; a long extension, and yes they should be torqued to 13 lb-ft or 18 Nm

Takes care

Shadowman

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks. Should have known you would have all the answers.

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks. Should have known you would have all the answers.

You are welcome

As for having all the answers; no however I remain willing to help and gather the the data which I do not have.

The process to swap the spark plugs is easy

I like the NGK TR7 IX as a replacement spark plug and then I gap them .028-.030

Regards

Shadowman

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Is that the iridium version?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
sparkplugs

Yup, I'm using the same ones with great success. Be sure to not drop the plugs down the long tunnel when installing them.

Ed

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Actually snap on sells an extension/socket piece just for working on the mod ford. It locks the plug in tightly, but still has a tad of swivel to it so you can thread it.

Ed, I am not all that familiar witht he NGK numbers is why I asked.

But a quick note on the Iridium plugs

I have attended some mfg. tech sessions at Westech Perf Group. They do a lot of magazine tests and have some really cool equip. MSD had brought a device to test and show which spark plug was the best for a boosted application. I was the one that gathered all the plugs for the test. You could actually turn a dial to simulate cylinder pressure and boost.

Note: NGK had not yet released it's Iridium plug yet, so it was not tested.

1. Denso Iridium ....About 20% more than the number two
2. Beru Silver.......Just barely ahead of the NGK
3. NGK V groove

It's been a while so I would not accuratey represent the others correctly from Motorcraft, Autolite, AC Delco, Bosch, Splitfire, etc. I do remember the non platinum cheapest bosh version was on the very bottom. We figured it would not work well enough to put in a 10:1 motor like the LS1.

Bottomline.....Iridium worked best for high boost and cylinder pressure. Do you need it for your non- boosted car, no as you would just be tossing cash away IMO. All the majors did just fine up to 11:1 as I recall.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
electric field very high!

Yes,

The tiny iridium electrode diameter makes the electric field very high, meaning that the propability of igniting the air/fuel mix is highest. Shadowman's recomendation of a tighter gap should be taken seriously. This is even more important if a pulley swap or throttle body update has been done, which increases cylinder pressure.

Jay
GTsaver

Actually snap on sells an extension/socket piece just for working on the mod ford. It locks the plug in tightly, but still has a tad of swivel to it so you can thread it.

Ed, I am not all that familiar witht he NGK numbers is why I asked.

But a quick note on the Iridium plugs

I have attended some mfg. tech sessions at Westech Perf Group. They do a lot of magazine tests and have some really cool equip. MSD had brought a device to test and show which spark plug was the best for a boosted application. I was the one that gathered all the plugs for the test. You could actually turn a dial to simulate cylinder pressure and boost.

Note: NGK had not yet released it's Iridium plug yet, so it was not tested.

1. Denso Iridium ....About 20% more than the number two
2. Beru Silver.......Just barely ahead of the NGK
3. NGK V groove

It's been a while so I would not accuratey represent the others correctly from Motorcraft, Autolite, AC Delco, Bosch, Splitfire, etc. I do remember the non platinum cheapest bosh version was on the very bottom. We figured it would not work well enough to put in a 10:1 motor like the LS1.

Bottomline.....Iridium worked best for high boost and cylinder pressure. Do you need it for your non- boosted car, no as you would just be tossing cash away IMO. All the majors did just fine up to 11:1 as I recall.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Actually snap on sells an extension/socket piece just for working on the mod ford. It locks the plug in tightly, but still has a tad of swivel to it so you can thread it. .

Do you have a part# for the Snap-On?

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
If cobrar is referring to the Snap-on 5/8" MAGNETIC spark plug socket, the stock # is S9706KMAG

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You are welcome

As for having all the answers; no however I remain willing to help and gather the the data which I do not have.

The process to swap the spark plugs is easy

I like the NGK TR7 IX as a replacement spark plug and then I gap them .028-.030

Regards

Shadowman

Shadow, would you use the .028 - .030 gap on a car with the Heffner 2.7 pully/93 tune?

Aug 25, 2006
Shadow, would you use the .028 - .030 gap on a car with the Heffner 2.7 pully/93 tune?

The difference is minimal at best and likely would not be noticed however I would gap them at .028

All the best

Shadowmman

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
Shadowman I will be tuning (tune from Tony G) the car soon for the accufab throttle body and X-pipe as well as to run on 94 octane. Would you change the stock plugs to the NGK iridium ones? Also what would the gap be? Later I will do the pulley. Is the gap the same then?
:cheers

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Shadowman I will be tuning (tune from Tony G) the car soon for the accufab throttle body and X-pipe as well as to run on 94 octane. Would you change the stock plugs to the NGK iridium ones? Also what would the gap be? Later I will do the pulley. Is the gap the same then?
:cheers

Thank you for asking

YES; I would change them to the NGK 7 IX and then gap them to .028; no question in my mind on this one

All the best and enjoy your gal after the tweaks; you will be very happy with that which TonY G does for you

Takes care

Shadowman

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I use 2 sockets when changing plugs on a 4 valve mod motor. I use the Craftsman spark plug socket with the foam inside to remove and just to start when replacing the plug. Then I torque with a standard deep socket so when I'm ready to pull the socket out there is no drag and possibility of losing the socket down in the hole. It works great.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
What (brand) tools are you using to measure and properly gap the plugs themselves?

I found this nice chart comparing plug types online from a non-sponsor called RPM, and then ordered the Iridium NGK TR71x plugs through Torrie M., as he stocks them, and ships things fast and efficiently and always provides helpful insight.

Bill, what gap do you recommend for accufab throttle body and exhaust, 91 octane pump gas, and heffner 2.7 pulley and tune?

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/ngkinfoi.htm

IMG_1246copy.jpg

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have a Whipple with 19 to 21 PSI boost and gap to about 0.028" My wire gages only reads 0.025 and 0.030 and I set it so that the 30 is a no go and the 25 is a loose fit. With less boost with just a pulley you can gap to 0.030" or maybe up to 0.035" without problems. If you gap too large you will have spark blowup in the upper RPM range under high boost.

An interesting side note, about 2 years ago Tony G was out on the west coast do some dyno tuning with Shadowman. I had my car on the dyno and Tony said it was running bad on the top end (I was down over 80 HP) probably from bad plugs. I was running the TR7IX plugs with about 4K miles on them. Later I swapped them out problem went away. The plugs look fine but obviously they were not. I was surprised at the short lifespan of these premium iridium plugs. Now I change them before any track or dyno session to be on the safe side.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I have a Whipple with 19 to 21 PSI boost and gap to about 0.028" My wire gages only reads 0.025 and 0.030 and I set it so that the 30 is a no go and the 25 is a loose fit. With less boost with just a pulley you can gap to 0.030" or maybe up to 0.035" without problems. If you gap too large you will have spark blowup in the upper RPM range under high boost.

Thanks BlackICE, my measurements of each plug from the factory, shows approximately 0.035"

Probably will gap them down to 0.032" - 0.030", and will see if anyone has additional comments.

Last edited:

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Randy,
I have the gapping tool and can gap the plugs for you. I changed my plugs to the TR7's last year and gapped them to a hair under .03. Now with 716 RWHP running the 91 octane map, no pinging and no misfires.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Randy, I would gap to .028 for best results.