New Shelby GT500(?)

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Here we go with another application process! Maybe all that applied for the new GT and were not selected can get one of these?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Here we go with another application process! Maybe all that applied for the new GT and were not selected can get one of these?

Ford is torturing me with all these great cars. Even my misguided, Corvette-loving brother is amazed at the enthusiasts running the show at Ford.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
My best uninformed guess is that Ford will not produce two Shelby products at the same time in the future. I also see a V-8 in the new GT500 that will have more HP than the ZL1 @ 650 and the Hellcat @ 707. Pure speculation (and wishful thinking) on my part.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
The problem Ford is having with the twin turbo 5.0 is keeping the power down and contained. it puts out crazy HP when tuned with TT. Not sure why this is but I was also told the flat plane engine is not designed for TT or superchargers. don't quite get that. I also know that Ford Racing will be offering up a new crate 5.2 Shelby GT350 engine in the near future. guessing in time for SEMA. hopefully they have all the plug and play electronics ready to go with it at the same time. It baffles me that Ford Racing basically has forgotten a 20 year block of modular engine performance parts. They go from pushrod engines to 5.0 Coyote engines in their crate engine program. I guess our 5.4 DOHC engines have become archaic in the engine design world. I have to wonder if they will eventually offer up the NGT engine as a crate engine? it would be perfect for small compact engine space vehicles.

Last edited:

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
At the GT350 North American Track Tour in Atlanta last month, Jim Owens reminded us that Ford Performance was committed to 12 new vehicles by 2020. I think that includes the NFGT and the Focus RS. That's a lot more left!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
The problem Ford is having with the twin turbo 5.0 is keeping the power down and contained. it puts out crazy HP when tuned with TT.

I like that problem. A bunch.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Nope, the new engine will not use the 5.2 flat plane. The "predator" engine program is a 5.0 twin turbo. when I asked what kind of power will it put out, all I was told, which is all they could say is that it will have more HP than the Hellcat is their goal for sure!

I don't want to be the transmission supplier. At those power levels, I'd expect that they'll need some torque limiting devices for gears 1-4. :facepalm::lol

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
So, do you want product cadence, or you want to be following the competition?

Leader vs, follower, has the resulting consequence of a need to budget accordingly. :lol

I'm mopping what you're spilling:thumbsup

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I don't want to be the transmission supplier. At those power levels, I'd expect that they'll need some torque limiting devices for gears 1-4. :facepalm::lol
I had that same thought. what gear box is going to live behind something like that? I think it's time Ford hooked up with an outside trans supplier for vehicles with that kind of power aka: Ricardo, ZF, etc.
I also think a driving class should be included in the new Shelby price for those who can only drive a check book. jmo

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Wonder if this will have a large ADM, like the Shelbys
http://blog.caranddriver.com/zl1-derful-chevy-prices-camaro-with-650-horsepower-lt4-from-62135/
Note the 10 speed auto developed in conjunction with Ford. Guess thats the next GT500 tranny. At least one of them.

Last edited:

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
Later in the thread it's clarified that "TT" stands for "Tooling Trial" and not "Twin Turbo".

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Either way... the GT 500 sounds like another must have Ford!

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Any more news?

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just a rendering but a good looking one

I like the way the headlights were interpreted on this rendering. Be cool if the next refresh looks this way.

2018 GT500.JPG

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^ what do you get when you put a GT350, a GT, and a GTT in a blender?

That rendering

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
^^^ what do you get when you put a GT350, a GT, and a GTT in a blender?

That rendering

I know, right?

SAcobra427

GT Owner
Nov 15, 2010
Pa
I also think a driving class should be included in the new Shelby price for those who can only drive a check book. jmo

Thats the smartest thing I have heard someone say in quite a while. Well said !!!!!!

stuntman

GT Owner
Jan 15, 2015
I had that same thought. what gear box is going to live behind something like that? I think it's time Ford hooked up with an outside trans supplier for vehicles with that kind of power aka: Ricardo, ZF, etc.
Ford already offers 1 free day at their Ford Racing School in Utah for all Ford Performance customers who bought Focus/Fiesta ST & RS, Boss 302s, and Shelby's.