New Shelby GT40

Status
Not open for further replies.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I was over at Infinion Raceway last weekend for the vintage races of the Wine Country Classic. I was steered into the Shelby Club's parking area on the Paddock under the grandstand and parked with the Cobras and GT350's. One other FGT showed up (a white one), but he is not a member of the Forum, so I gave him the rundown on the group and some info on the National Rally, etc.

When walking to my car at one point, I was approached by a pretty girl who was selling Shelby American Continuation Cobras. However, my interest was sparked by the Shelby American Continuation GT40 of which they had the S/N 001 vehicle on display. Virtually identical to the Superformance replicas, it had Shelby's signature on many of the external parts - the headlamp covers, the door handles, etc. I was unaware that Shelby American was making these continuation replicas and was wondering if anyone else had any further information on the cars. The S/N 001 was a Mark II style - it had no engine so could be made as a IIA or IIB. It also had "GT40" on the side stripe, but the girl couldn't answer my question as whether they had gotton a usage license from Safir for the name.

I'm sure we will be presented with it at Rally III. Here're a couple of pictures I took but I didn't take any closeups ot the GT40.

Attachments

• IMG_3626_1.JPG
    IMG_3626_1.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_3627_1.JPG
    IMG_3627_1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 500

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ok, Shelby is having Jimmy Price who owns build thev CSX4000 series tupperware cars at his High Tech Company in Port Elizabeth S.A.

Price owns Superformance. The Shelby Continuation GT40 is a basically rebadged and special trim Superformance GT40. Superformance has the rights from Safir to continue the GT40 serial numbers as well as use the name.

Bony from Stockholm

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ralphie, we have some old posts about this. You can also go to the Shelby site (not SAAC) and check them out. Guess how much they tack on for his name?

MWG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Northern California

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Ralphie, we have some old posts about this. You can also go to the Shelby site (not SAAC) and check them out. Guess how much they tack on for his name?

so Frank how much are they tacking on for ole' Carroll's sig.... ?

Last edited by a moderator:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Bony,

If my memory serves me, didn't you used to own an AC or Shelby Cobra replica whichever you prefer to call them? Was "tupperware cars" intentionally directed at Shelby replicas or a typo?

If intentional, I also feel your sourness toward Shelby and his replicas or as Shelby American prefers to legitimize them, continuations. I find it interesting that SAI continues to harrass all the Cobra replica maufacturers and continues to try to drive them out of business with law suites, but now SAI feels it's OK to replicate FORD's GT or GT40 and not pay FORD a premium for FORD's GT body style. Although Shelby was involved in the GT40s development, it was FORD's money that paid for the development and Shelby was working for FORD at the time, meaning FORD owns the rights to the GT40 body style and not SAI. Safir may own the name GT40, but I think you could argue the body style is owned by FORD. SAI tried to use this body style argument against the Cobra replica manufacturers. Was this your intent on using the term "tupperware cars"?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony,

If my memory serves me, didn't you used to own an AC or Shelby Cobra replica whichever you prefer to call them? Was "tupperware cars" intentionally directed at Shelby replicas or a typo?

If intentional, I also feel your sourness toward Shelby and his replicas or as Shelby American prefers to legitimize them, continuations. I find it interesting that SAI continues to harrass all the Cobra replica maufacturers and continues to try to drive them out of business with law suites, but now SAI feels it's OK to replicate FORD's GT or GT40 and not pay FORD a premium for FORD's GT body style. Although Shelby was involved in the GT40s development, it was FORD's money that paid for the development and Shelby was working for FORD at the time, meaning FORD owns the rights to the GT40 body style and not SAI. Safir may own the name GT40, but I think you could argue the body style is owned by FORD. SAI tried to use this body style argument against the Cobra replica manufacturers. Was this your intent on using the term "tupperware cars"?

First, yes I own or owned real and fakey-do's.

Second, Carroll is my hero and a living legend. Carroll is the reason we are having Rally III in vegas!

Lastly, if you want to bash Carroll there are several sites that seem to dedicate themselves to it. You will not be allowed to do it on this forum!
l

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Bony,

Sorry to have hit a sensitive spot. I was trying to understand what you meant by your words "tupperware cars"? I'm not familiar with the meaning of your choice of words. I took a guess and must have misinterpreted it's meaning. Could you please clarify what you meant by "tupperware cars"?

Thanks

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...Bony from Stockholm

Where are the posts with the Sweedish babes?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
No problem, just need to be clear our direction is to honor Carroll's many contributions. And... Not get into discussions that can be entered into on numerous other sites.

Some of us refer to fiberglass as tupperware.
Fyi Shelby's CSX 4000 series is available as tupperware and aluminum.
The CSX4000 and 7000 series are 'real Cobras' although not originals. Every other Cobra is a knock off, fakey-do, replica. That being said there are many replicas that exhibit the highest possible workmanship.

By the way, many thanks for your awsum service to country! :)

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Bony,

Thanks for the clarification. I totally missed that one. Bony, please don't take this as a personal shot at you as I'm sure you didn't invent the term "tupperware cars". In the following, I'm just trying to express what cute words like this sounds like to an outsider like me and how easily they can be misinterpreted. I guess that's one of the dangers when folks use cute words instead of the real descriptors. To an outsider like me, "tupperware cars" seems to be a derogatory descriptor and degrading to those who own fiberglass cars like Vetts and Cobra replicas/continuations. Like somehow aluminum cars are better -- just because they cost more? Words like this are akin to using words like Ghetto, trailer (for trailer trash), gangster, the "N" word for Negro, etc. What do they call the aluminum cars - tin cans? What do they call the tin and steel cars? What do they call the carbon fiber cars? If folks would use the real descriptors (fiberglass, aluminum, carbon fiber, etc.), they do not lend themselves to being misinterpreted as derogatory. Enough, I think you see my concern with using "cute" words.

Again, not trying to dish you, just my concern over using cute words and their ability to be or become derogatory. I couldn't think of a more polite way to state the above, but I tried my best. I've never met you, but from comments I've seen on this forum, you appear to be a very kind and fun person, so I don't think you meant to dish Vetts, etc. As a successful business man, I think you understand the power of the word.

Thanks for the clarification.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
No problem, but fyi, we do call the alluminum cars tin cans. No disrespect intended.

Fyi, I owned a free style Cobra fakeydo that won best replica at Knotts that started life as a Contemporary before it was crashed and split in two. Spent $75k in parts building it plus labor. Also owned ERA 435 which was welll known. Nothing wrong with kits and replicas.

Again, just want to be clear that the policy of this forum is to celebrate Carroll's accomplishments.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
'Tupperware Cars' is a term for fibreglass cars here in the UK too.

It is mildly derogatory, but always said in good spirit as there's nothing wrong with replicas/continuations or 'recreations' as Bonhams would call them.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Bony,

Thanks for the info on tupperware and tin cans - guess I should get out more. With the War on Terror still raging, I've been working extremely long hours and haven't had much free time. Since 7 Jan, I've been working 12-16 hour days/nights every day except for about 10 days of 8 hour work days during that time. Working most weekends. Just finished up a 1.5 month flight test last Saturday night into Sunday morning and flew 134 sorties, so it really feels good to be back to a normal 8-hour work schedule this week.

So sorry to hear you wrecked your Cobra, but I am very glad to hear you are OK. I'm assuming you were driving - too much gas in a turn? Turning and too much gas is the demise of most cars. You can apply too much gas if your going straight without any problems, but turn that wheel and its all over. Both the Cotemporary and ERA are fine cars, so you must have had a great time owning them.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I am going to make a WAG here that Bony was not the owner or driver and purchased both halves.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
That is correct, nor did I say in the posts that I built the Cobra. It was built here in Fresno by CoolTech with the sole purpose to win the Knotts Show. After that was accomplished the owner sold it, and I bought it. Sadly, I sold it and moved on.

The story of the crash was interesting, the original owner let his employee take it for a drive, and he hit one of those damn telephone poles that jump out in front of you from time to time.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Thanks Evan, would please send Mrs. Bony that message? :)

Bottom line, these discussions don't belong on this board. They destroy the comrade that we have developed.

Please folks, let's not go there! :)

Thanks,
Daniel - moderator

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Names can be fun!!

Gentlemen,

Those of us who fly fiberglass aircraft refer to aluminum airplanes as “spam cans”. Fiberglass is more durable than aluminum but it is heavier. My friends who fly aluminum aircraft refer to my planes as “boat anchors”. I call my aluminum fake Cobra (Kirkham), as fragile as a 650 hp Coors Light Beer can. The aluminum on the original cars is softer and even more fragile. 99% of Cobra replicas are fiberglass, referred to as “glass cars” or Tupperware. I am most often referred to as old, fat, and unreasonably opinionated.

The rights to the name “Cobra” are jointly owned by Carroll Shelby and the Ford Motor Company. They are the only two entities that can use that name on an automobile. Companies from Harley-Davidson to Budweiser and every thing in between zealously guard their copyrights and intellectual property rights and they would be foolish if they did not. Harley-Davidson even attempted to copyright in the sound of their V-twin engines(they were unsuccessful).

The original Ford GT was developed as a joint project between Ford and Lola in England. Ford made no attempt to copyright any version of the shape of the original cars nor did they copyright the name GT40, which belongs to Safir Spares today. Carroll Shelby and Ford did copyright the name Cobra and they have every right to protect it from unauthorized use.

I do find one slang term for Mr. Carroll Shelby(whose automobiles and photographs adorn my garage) acceptable. I often refer to him as, “The Man”.

Chip

Attachments

• theman.jpg
    theman.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Shelby Trio Dark.jpg
    Shelby Trio Dark.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 93

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Chip: Nice garage!:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Think we have covered the question and I am closing this thread... after deleting three posts. Any questions, please PM me.
Bony
moderator of THE FORD GT FORUM

Status
Not open for further replies.