New Problem

conundrum

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2007
Kentucky
I gave the GT a good hard drive the other day. Went about 120 miles. Stopped for about two hours, got back in and went to fire her up. Turned the key and absolutely nothing happened. The problem doesn't appear to be the battery. Fooled around with it for about fifteen minutes. I must have turned the key twenty times and got nothing each time. Finally, I moved the steering column sharply up and down. Tried the key again and it worked perfectly.

Thoughts? Solutions?

Thank you for the help.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bad ground wire. Do a search . Need to sand attachment area.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Same thing happened to me. Sand the frame where the battery ground strap attaches to the frame up front under the package tray. It's flaky...but it IS the fix.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Bad ground wire. Do a search . Need to sand attachment area.

Frank - this is becoming your typical electrical response :rofl :cheers

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I gave the GT a good hard drive the other day. Went about 120 miles. Stopped for about two hours, got back in and went to fire her up. Turned the key and absolutely nothing happened. The problem doesn't appear to be the battery. Fooled around with it for about fifteen minutes. I must have turned the key twenty times and got nothing each time. Finally, I moved the steering column sharply up and down. Tried the key again and it worked perfectly.

Thoughts? Solutions?

Thank you for the help.

You have to push the big red button after you turn the key!

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
Maybe the clutch wasn't depressed all the way

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
This might be a reach but it could be heat soak on the starter motor. We had a small problem when developing our car for the rally. The exhaust is very close to the starter motor and if it would get hot then sit and soak for a little while it wouldnt work. Once it cooled down again it would be fine.

conundrum

GT Owner
Feb 7, 2007
Kentucky
You have to push the big red button after you turn the key!

I suppose I deserved that.

Yes, I turned the key, floored the clutch pedal, pushed the red button...just like hundreds of other times...and nothing happened. If the "theft" system were malfunctioning, wouldn't the theft light blink or flash?

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Same thing happened to me once when I left the fog light switch on, but the engine was cold.

I cut everything off and tried again and it started.

Weird...

M

Mark O

Could it be the nut that holds the wheel? :biggrin