New Powerstroke

Cobradvr

GT Owner
I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the new Powerstrokes?

My old truck, which I will miss a lot, was taken out one night last week by my 18 y/o son for some late night 4-wheelin fun! After I got the call around midnight, 4 hours and 3 tow trucks later we were able to recover the truck. With the damage to the transmission and t-case along with the cosmetic damage I took the opportunity to buy a new truck… I won’t say what happened to the kid…:ack

My new truck, a 2008 F250 King Ranch with the new 6.4L Powerstroke engine is impressive to look at…. However I’m not overly impressed with the engine. I wish I had drove it more before I bought it… Compared to the old F350 with the 6.0L Powerstroke it seems sluggish and the mileage is poor, the transmission also seems “soft”.

I’m curious as to how the power train ages; does it get better in terms of mileage with some age like most diesels?

Any information with experience would be helpful…

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
F350

Sorry to hear about your truck. Nice replacement. If you're not towing much - I'd recommend re-flashing the chip. I've done that to all my F350's over time. It makes a tremendous difference. I used a HyperTech unit and picked up greater acceleration and much better fuel consumption.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
There are diesel truck forums that I have surfed on and they report amazing results.
The Ford dealers are aware of these reflashes and they can jeopardize the warranty on
power train.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
what bony said

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I've put 15,000 mi. on my '08 F-250 and the engine continues to improve power-wise and fuel mileage-wise. I believe it takes quite a while to break in. My mileage has been about 1 mpg worse with this truck than it was with my '05 F-250. I attribute this to the .4 liter larger displacement. I guess there is no "free lunch". :rolleyes It does tow much stronger than the '05 did - seems practically effortless at times.

Last edited:

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I had nothing but trouble with my 6.0L 04 F-250 Harley Crew Cab...I'm kinda disappointed to read that they're still having issues even with a new engine. Hope you get it sorted out :ack

M

Mark O

My new truck, a 2008 F250 King Ranch with the new 6.4L Powerstroke engine is impressive to look at…. However I’m not overly impressed with the engine. I wish I had drove it more before I bought it… Compared to the old F350 with the 6.0L Powerstroke it seems sluggish and the mileage is poor, the transmission also seems “soft”.

Maybe it should be renamed Powercroak? :wink

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I have several 04 and up.
No problems with anyone of them.
My 6.0 F350 dually runs great and all I did was have a standard SCT tune put in it. 70 hp for towing and 120 if you want to light up the tires.

I got a great dealer and would never have a problem but one never knows

Only one I have that gets less mpg is the one I ordered with a 4:10 rear end. Didn't need it.

Here is the big daddy forum, remember it is huge so you get a lot of wack jobs posting. http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

Last edited:

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Now wait a minute!!

I had nothing but trouble with my 6.0L 04 F-250 Harley Crew Cab...I'm kinda disappointed to read that they're still having issues even with a new engine. Hope you get it sorted out :ack

Jason thats like the difference between one of your amazing details and an Exxon car wash.

There have been complaints about the mileage on the 6.4. The mileage seems to improve up to about 10,000 miles and then levels off. People need to give that big chunk of iron awhile to break in.

It is light years better than the 6.0 for reliability. So don't even start trying to compare them.

Ford needs mucho success with all it's trucks if it is ever going to compete in the supercar or even the sports car arena again.

I have read about many happy owners here towing with there 6.4's.

Spoken from a Ford dealer trying hard to make it.

Mark IV

Sep 8, 2007
Western New York

No, they are not having trouble with the 6.4....................yes, the mileage is down (bigger displacement, more H.P and torque, way lower emissions and no black soot,= no free lunch) but in general the engine has been more than OK. I sell lots of them (mostly in commercial trucks, some Cowboy Caddies) and I have only just had the first one that required internal work (low compression on one cylinder, don't know why, Ford sent a replacement engine and we zippered it) but compared to the early 6.0s these have been very good. They start right off at 10 degrees, I know, I have shown customers trucks that have cold soaked for days under 20 degrees and cranked 'em right off without waiting for the glow plug light. They are VERY quiet and run pretty good performance wise. And yes, chipping them or other mods are tough as there is SO much interconnected electronics for the emissions that most mods go backwards, not forwards.

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
I didn't stay so current with the diesel scene after I sold mine. Talk about a lesson on buying your first brand new vehicle. :frown When I heard about what Cobradvr had to say about the 6.4, I related it to problems with my 6.0. Problems in general, not anything specific between the two. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers. Hearing from two dealers that overall they're doing much better than the 6.0 is good news. Tom I know you've had a great experience with your 6.0's, next time I buy a brand new vehicle I'm bringing you and a four leaf clover with. :biggrin

Cobradvr

GT Owner
Thanks everyone for the comments... Like I said, the truck's fit and finish is awesome, I'm hoping over time it performs as good as it looks... and I have a son whose only job for now is finishing high school and keeping the F250 spotless.

Thanks again,
Mark