New Owner

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Hello. I bought my first GT today, the yellow one on BAT. A few posters there suggested this forum, but I already joined awhile back when my search started. I did order a set of Bridgestones, as the current tires are dated from the Nixon Administration, and of course I will get it in to change all the fluids.

My main question was that because this was basically a museum car for the last 3 years (heavy hitter collection), are there any other maintenance items folks here would recommend that I take a look at?

Thanks!

Edit: And yes, I probably overpaid by 25 grand or so, but the rarity of the yellow, the overall condition, and the fact that it was 15 minutes from my house moved the needle enough for me. (And also I drive my cars, so the miles didnt impact me at all)

Terry
2006_ford_gt_259300AE-302D-48A2-9B53-D999EA797345-70133-scaled.jpeg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You're already on top of the actions by doing a liquids purge.

Check your battery. Chances are it should be replaced. A weak battery is a common cause for intermittent gauge operation (but gauge failures are common, read the topics on gauges). Sometimes gauges come back, sometimes they don't, but don't tempt fate. Forget the Ford battery, it's just a Group 25 Optima that you can swap or get at Auto Zone or O'Reilly's for half what Ford wants and if you really love the label you can swap it (sometimes they come off) or get a replacement from some one here.

Bridgestones are a good move.

Check the OASIS report for axle bolt TSB (it was not a recall). Of course get the air bags done if they haven't (and there's a good chance they aren't). Ford will come to you to do them and there are some trusted third party installers. The steering wheel is easy but the passenger side requires careful disassembly of the lower portion of the passenger side dash panel that has a thin segment across the center console best handled by two people.

Enjoy the car!

If you don't have experience with no-nanny high performance cars read alot about the handling here. They have a tendency to break the rear wheels loose with the slightest provocation with dangerous consequences. Bridgestones help alot as they are stickier in cold tires/cold pavement but still can let loose when you least expect them. Accelerate only in a straight line, and be careful about sudden power (like trouncing on the accelerator to pass, and most especially with the downshift/accelerate/upshift to pass.)

Reactions: onepunch

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Hi Terry, welcome to our weekly meeting. I’m Pete, this is Mike and this is Jim. Have a seat and tell us why you’re here.

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Hi Terry, welcome to our weekly meeting. I’m Pete, this is Mike and this is Jim. Have a seat and tell us why you’re here.
I'm here because I'm addicted to high performance fords. My ex thought I needed therapy, but I think I just need more exposure to like-minded individuals lol

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Congrats!!! 🍻 Yellow GTs look great (y)

This is kinda suspicious, tho, as this forum already has a @centerpunch and now we have a @onepunch :)

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
Edit: And yes, I probably overpaid by 25 grand or so, but the rarity of the yellow, the overall condition, and the fact that it was 15 minutes from my house moved the needle enough for me....

You did the right thing. I felt like I overpaid for both of my 2005 FGTs (the first one and the replacement when the first one flooded). But when you find the right car, getting it and being happy with it is the most important thing. As long as you're close(ish) on price, over the long run it won't matter at all!

Drive it and enjoy! And welcome to the forum!

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
You did the right thing. I felt like I overpaid for both of my 2005 FGTs (the first one and the replacement when the first one flooded). But when you find the right car, getting it and being happy with it is the most important thing. As long as you're close(ish) on price, over the long run it won't matter at all!

Drive it and enjoy! And welcome to the forum!

I figure whats the worst thing that could happen? The market happens to change and I need to sell it at the wrong time? So I lose 50 grand or so. Who cares? I couldnt rent it for 2 years for 50 grand, thats for sure lol

Reactions: KennethClay

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Congratulations.

If you keep the car, it won’t matter if you paid more. Solution? Keep and enjoy the car.

Which part of the country are you from?

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Congratulations.

If you keep the car, it won’t matter if you paid more. Solution? Keep and enjoy the car.

Which part of the country are you from?
Tampa, FL

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Transmission cooler if not installed. See Cool tech a sponsor here.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Very typical for the rear lower control arm and link end seals to be split from age. The GT garage or GT101 can supply replacement seals, which are not available from Ford, seperate from the component. Oil pump belt, should be changed, if original. Battery ground cable in front trunk should be cleaned and tightened. Also, don’t hit the start button until the mileage displays, as there is a theory that “early” starts contribute to gauge failure. Congrats on the purchase and love the color.

Last edited:

Idigmywork

GT Owner
May 20, 2023
Boston MA
Congratulations!

If you won the car and its the one you wanted then you didn't overpay.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Congrats and welcome! Like Kenneth said, I remember over paying at $280k in 2017, that thought quickly fades… especially once you start driving and enjoying the car. As others have touched on the maintenance items, I was to point out a couple of new owner tips:

1) Before starting, wait until the odometer displays the mileage, I’ve always done this and have not experienced a gauge failure.

2) Until the transmission warms up, you will notice a slight grinding when upshifting to 2nd gear. Either shift 1-3 or 1-3-2 for the first few minutes.

3) This is the big one, cold tires have been the leading culprit of most GT crashes. Drive it like it’s on ice skates until warm and even then only apply power with the car pointing straight. 2nd gear is the torquey gear and it will break loose and swap ends very quickly!

I also installed a Bluetooth module on the AUX which I enjoy, there’s a thread on that if interested.

WhippleGT

GT Owner
May 23, 2022
Hello. I bought my first GT today, the yellow one on BAT. A few posters there suggested this forum, but I already joined awhile back when my search started. I did order a set of Bridgestones, as the current tires are dated from the Nixon Administration, and of course I will get it in to change all the fluids.

My main question was that because this was basically a museum car for the last 3 years (heavy hitter collection), are there any other maintenance items folks here would recommend that I take a look at?

Thanks!

Edit: And yes, I probably overpaid by 25 grand or so, but the rarity of the yellow, the overall condition, and the fact that it was 15 minutes from my house moved the needle enough for me. (And also I drive my cars, so the miles didnt impact me at all)

Terry
2006_ford_gt_259300AE-302D-48A2-9B53-D999EA797345-70133-scaled.jpeg
Congrats. A very nice car.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
beautiful and congrats. enjoy in good health...

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Congrats.. Was watching that auction.. Yellow is a special color.. Almost bought one in 2007 , wish i had. The only time you over pay is if you park it and sell it tomorrow. After your first rally with the forum, the smiles, non ending grin, will tell you what it's worth doesn't matter. Someone else in your family will sell it.. So where is this bad boy(gal) going to be located?
Great list from many, but the 69b302 from upstate had some not so obvious items. Kevin(Special K) and Tony (2bjshelbys) has some important got ya's that have caught a few(like many) out.
Congrats again. Enjoy and drive; that's where the smiles are.

drilling

GT Owner
Sep 13, 2018
Welcome!

SFGT

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2012
Welcome & Congrats on the BaT win, I was watching the bidding, glad you joined the FGT forum.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Some of these old GT farts know what they are talking about. Take the comments seriously.
Your car is 17/18 years old. More than just tires need changing. You might consider contacting Forum member Rich Brooks as to a re-fresh.

Car is a brute wrapped in class. Good pick on yellow!

Reactions: JWZ and onepunch