New Owner Midnight Blue 2006/advice for 3M film

xjsteve

GT Owner
Jan 24, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Well, I finally found a car that I could actually buy! Thanks to everyone on the site for their assistance and advice. Purchased in Ontario, Canada it will be arriving in Alberta next week and then have all of the necessary paperwork to put through.

I've already booked a 3M film for the entire front of the car as Alberta tends to use boulders to enhance traction during the winter and thus what the rest of you call "gravel roads" where you live, we just call "roads". With that in mind, are there any specific areas that should get the wrap besides the obvious front and rockers? I was wondering whether the side air intakes receive road debris on a regular basis? I have a Cobra replica and 911 turbo and both get their rear quarters beaten by rocks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really happy with the purchase and looking forward to exchanging stories with the rest of you.

Steve
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Congrats from one new owner to another. I just got Xpel Ultimate put on the entire front bumper/hood, rockers, the section behind the rear wheels (this area pics up a lot of debris) and just the leading edge of the air intakes. Supposed to get a strip along the front part of the roof but the installer forgot to put it on.
Think anything more than that and you'll end up just covering the entire car.

Do you know Superfly and Colton74? Both in Alberta. I believe Not4N and Cobraguy are there as well.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I have all leading edges covered and I still get nicks. Best thing I did was cover the windshield as I have heard numerous rocks hit with no damage.
I am in Calgary so feel free to send me a note. Superfly and Colton are in Edmonton and Cobaguy is in the 'Hat". All great people and I assure you we are all more than wiling to help share info.

Congrats on your new ride - you won't be disappointed. :thumbsup

Cheers
Trent

canadiancobra

GT Owner
Apr 5, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta
I also did the windshield with clearplex (I think that's what it wa called?)
Works great! Congrats on the car.
Cheers John

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep, I've got Clearplex on mine too. John (CanadianCobra) is also in E-town, and John (SR71) also with a midnight blue is in Calgary. There's more than just a few more here too. Welcome to the Alberta chapter.

AHudson

GT Owner
Nov 6, 2009
Alabama
As you know, you risk lifetime ban without photos within 48 hours. :) Love the Midnight Blue. When you say, 'you could finally buy' do you mean price, location, miles? Would love to hear and BIG congratulations!

xjsteve

GT Owner
Jan 24, 2013
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wow, great response. I didn't realize there was such a large contingent of owners in Alberta. Thanks for the advice for the 3M! I think I'll add a strip to the roof leading edge and the air intake and take a look at the rear bumper area. I know the lambs (thinking Diablo) get a lot of grime between body and front surface of bumper.
Once I get the car I promise to post a photo (visualize me standing at attention with hand across heart). To answer AHudson, "you could finally buy" was more related to the paucity of vehicles that met my criteria with colour, options and stock and low miles. I found that the popularity of the vehicle has resulted in some selling practices that I haven't experienced before so I had a learning curve to ensure I was first in line (and cash in hand), with minimal negotiations. Trying to compare your Gt negotiations with say a Gallardo negotiation is interesting given one car is rising in value while the other is taking the typical "exotic swan dive" in value. If you're looking to get a "good deal" on a GT, the good deal is simply getting one at a fair market value (and perhaps a little higher). Still, I don't regret the purchase although I think my wife got a little bile in her mouth when I told her the purchase price (but she didn't even change the door locks!!).

Steve

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Put some on the leading edges of the mirrors and the side scoops, and the edges of the fender wells. Also, the rocker panels and doors up to the indent above the side stripes.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Door still inside. The polished surface can get beat up from getting in and out.

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Do not let them hand cut the film on the car. I know the Xpel Kits fit the GT perfectly and do not require any trimming on the car.

Congratulations on the GT it is truly a great car.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Xpel is the best product out there

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Put some on the leading edges of the mirrors and the side scoops, and the edges of the fender wells. Also, the rocker panels and doors up to the indent above the side stripes.

The mirrors! Forgot to mention those. Aside from the front end, these obviously also take a huge beating.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Congratulations on the new car!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Congrats on your new GT. Just have Trent wrap it for you.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Welcome to the club.......Jeff has it right ; just leave it with Trent and you will be taken care of !

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Steve,

You might want to contact these people. They made many exterior and interior pieces for my car. Way more than they show on their website. These would be all cut and ready to install.

www.autotrimdesign.com

AJK

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Definitely do the windshield. Lessens the likelihood of a star, but really effective in eliminating the micropitting...change out in 2 or 3 years, depending on the amount of driving and it's like a new window.

The 3M does seem to have a slight orange peel effect on the bodywork compared to our glass smooth paint, but it's no worse than a $150k Jag.

Based on cars I know sold here, fellows I've met, cars I've seen that are not anyone I know, I estimate between 2 and 3 dozen GTs in Calgary.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Congrats and welcome. !! :cheers

samjoehanson

GT Owner
Mar 16, 2013
Congrats ....if you are ever in Saskatoon, let me know.......believe it or not, we have a few FGT's in our small city. May be the highest # of GT's per capita anywhere! Two of which are in my grubby hands! You will enjoy your car like very few others! Paul

cetro

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2012
Calabasas, CA
I would wrap the entire car. It shouldn't cost you much more if you are going to do the roof and sides. I have and now I have no worries when driving.