New Owner Experience/Clutch advice/Questions...

best2xford

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2006
San Diego
Hi all,

Wow! I own some pretty cool cars, but this takes the cake--it's way more solid than I would have ever guessed it. I just bought a black/silver--all options car from Mac Heik in Houston, Texas...and drove it back to San Diego with my fiance--she was a pretty good sport about packing 4 days of clothes in the trunk and under her feet! (300 miles on it when I got it--7K under MSRP)

Clutch Advice...

...could ya'll please just help me understand the clutch. To me, it feels about half of the strength of my c6 corvette--I don't mean how hard the pedal push is, but how strong it is. It seems to engage at the very end of the pedal release and while I can pop it and spin the tires if I wanted to, a regular start requires too much gas or it will stall. How can I tell if this is normal or if the clutch needs to be adjusted? When I got in the corvette last night to switch spots I almost jumped through the wall--the clutch grabbed twice as hard just in reverse as the GT (and forward). I spoke to the dealer this morning and they are going to look at it next Tuesday am, and said they've adjusted a few cables, but it requires taking apart the center console and that will take a few days. It seems like it's a little scratchy when it's supposed to be grabbing between 1st and 2nd and it also seems a little scratcy sounding near the rear transmision (like there's some marbles hanging out in the bottom of the transmission?) The AC also was perfect for about 90% of the time---once it almost stopped blowing--and lost some of it's cooling power, but maybe being on for 7 hours is a little long.

Any clutch advice? I read through a lot of forums and didnt' see a lot of complaints, just want to know what to look out for when I go to the dealer.

The dealer also mentioned that if the car runs hot, they'll add the trans cooler for free ($1500). They said to ask for a temp gauge that they add onto the car and then when I bring it back they'll be able to read it and let me know) Anyone heard of this?

The dealer did the SCT tune & Airfilters on the car--I drove it before and after--huge difference in seat of the pants feel...I've been reading a lot and it seems like the next mod needed is the pully kit. I hope to meet all of you soon at an upcoming event--I love driving this car and feel it was worth every penny!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
It's really hard to describe clutch travel... if it's biting right at the top of the pedal range, it may need a small adjustment. I find the clutch very light and easy - other cars I have or have had are more fierce, almost on/off. The GT is smoother. Mine needs a bit of gas to get going, I try to be out of first as soon as possible and into second...

Interestingly my A/C started to misbehave a bit on a 1,000 mile journey - stopped blowing as hard and as cold... not sure why, it's fine now.

Perhaps one test of your clutch might be to see at what point the start button becomes operative? Maybe this will prove nothing - I'm not very technical.

There's bound to be someone on the Forum near to you - it could be the perfect excuse for a beer and some clutch comparisons!

Good luck... Neil

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I know this sounds nuts; but are starting in 3rd gear. 1st is slightly left off center.
My car and many others starts rolling with zero gas (granted not over garage floor lip or inclines)

re: A/C after a very long time and in high himidity ice forms on the condenser/evaporator fins and restricts air flow (think of your freezer before defrosting). It can get to the point where its literally is solid piece of ice and air wont blow thru. Putting A/c one notch below coldest will prevent this icing while maintaining cold air. That puddle under the car is this ice metling [in addition to constant condensation]. Not sure if the system is high tech enough and sense freeze and adjusts setting, could be. A/C from 20yrs ago did this in BMWs and its seems to still be the case.

best2xford

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2006
San Diego
not a 3rd gear start...

I've read a lot about the 3rd gear start and that's not it...I just drove the car 1500 miles and I wish is was as easy as the 3rd gear start, but that's not it--it's also seeming to be a problem between 1st and 2nd because it just doesn't grab and go--it seems like the clutch is taking 1-2 seconds to engage and then it grabs and goes

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Clutch

You'll get used to it. The flywheel is moe than likely much lighter than the one in your Vette. Spin the engine a bit more and you should find that sweet spot. There has been noted here some "notchiness" shifting between 1 & 2. Mine did act that for a bit, but it went away with more miles on the GT. Drive it in good health.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Best2xford. I would have the dealer take a look at it. It does not sound right to me. My clutch engages about mid way through the pedal travel and is as smooth as silk. PD

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
"PLEASE NOTE"
THE GT HAS AN INTERNAL HYDRULIC CLUTCH NOT A CABLE OPPERATED CLUTCH.IT MAY NEED BLEEDING,BUT IT SHOULD TAKE UP HIGH ON THE PEDAL TRAVEL BECAUSE OF THE DESIGN
DON'T LEET YOUR DEALER PULL YOUR CONSOLE TO TRY TO ADJUST IT :cheers
Neil

best2xford

GT Owner
Sep 27, 2006
San Diego
ah...

Neil, This is what I was afraid of---I did mention to him that it was hydrylic, and he said he knew that but that he's worked on 9 of them and has had to fix 3 clutches so far and there is a cable in the center console that he's had good luck with before. Do you still think he shouldn't do it? I don't think it's normal--is there another test to make sure it's working the right way? Do you know of anyone in San Diego with a car that I could let drive mine to tell me how it compares to theirs? Maybe I could have him start with bleeding it?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I had a similar problem with my clutch. It was extremely touchy and difficult to master under normal conditions. It seemed to be either IN or OUT with no middle ground. I thought it was just an exotic and prone to being extremely responsive. However, after about 1500 miles it loosened up quite a bit. It is much easier now. It just needed to be broke in.

I'm sure if you drove it all the way from Texas to Cali you put plenty of miles on it, but I doubt you did as much "clutch work" as I did around town.

I don't know haw far you are from Irvine, but if it's doable... take it to Saleen.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
I have noticed that my clutch pedal does engage at a higher position than my Z06, but not too high. It reminds me of Honda in terms of clutch feel.
Yes, it will stall if not enough gas is applied, especially with the Air on. I have noticed that the Air robs quite a bit of the power.