New owner exhaust advise

bg5512

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
I just bought an '05 GT :biggrin (Big Carrot's car). It has the Hennessey kit minus the exhaust upgrade. Unbelievably fast (blows my Gallardo & Z06 away), but it's a little on the quiet side and I'd like to install an exhaust.

I've done a search here on the forum and narrowed it down to Heffner or Accufab. It seems that they're very similar in both quality and sound. Any reason to pick one over the other? Price is relatively close.

Any advise would be appreciated. Great forum.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The Heffner is a H-pipe while the Accufab is the X. Difference should be the sound with some saying the X has a drone.

I've have a Heffner coming and will post sound when installed. If you haven't been here go to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCvbsHAHDc , it's the shootout from the rally last summer.

In order:

Stock - Manny, #1418
Borla - Florida Chris
Accufab - Bony
Bob Ida - barondw
Tubi - John Gourley
Full FRPP w/headers - Shoboat

Heffners, Kinetics and Beach GT's exhaust were not at the rally.

bg5512

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
Thanks for the link. What made you pick Heffner over the others?

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Why the tips of course! ...... and the review of Nota4re and others. While all pipes offered are great, I was set on an H. Jason's is different in that the H connector is at the inlet of the cat back exhaust. Don't know if that means much but hopefully gives a better balance.

While any aftermarket X or H pipe will allow more under the clamshell cooling while the car is moving, I'll be watching the heat transfer to the airbox when parked. It should not be more than the stock muffler gives off today as that 60 brick is really an oven!

Now for the real story - it was a x-mas gift from the family. That makes it the perfect choice:cheers

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
bg5512,

I went with Accufab X-Pipe.

It’s clean, simple, reduces heat under the clamshell, adds horsepower, gets rid of weight, and best of all it makes the GT sound like a GT should sound.

Is a little louder in the cockpit than with the stock exhaust; but is music to my ears.

No regrets.

futuregt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 25, 2005
Heffner Exhaust

I have the Heffner exhaust. Kendall(Nota4re) installed and posted pictures.I think I had one of the first installed. It looks awsome, polished with great looking tips. Sounds awsome,no drone,much lighter then stock,and keeps underhood temps down. I had a Borla (FRPP), but it was not aggressive enough sounding for me. Jason did a great job, under the hood, the exhaust looks like a peice of art.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I have an Acufab, 100% satisfied. Like the tips on the Heffner better, my concern is that they may be to close to the enclosure and create a discoloring or melting issue. I would like to hear from someone running the Heffner pipes for 1000 miles. I had a Heffner tune and pulley and can only say good things about their products and support.

bg5512

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
I've seen several posts mention the droning or resonance on the accufab x-pipe. Is is it just at a certain rpm range? The accufab is also around $700 cheaper?

I've listened to the sound clips and they both sound great!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
3000 posts by Bony + Ida Exhaust

I love the sound of my Ida exhaust. Close your eyes & you'd think you were at Lemans 1966!

Hey, was that your 3000th post Bony? Or is the post counter maxed out at 3000?

Ed

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I've seen several posts mention the droning or resonance on the accufab x-pipe. Is is it just at a certain rpm range? The accufab is also around $700 cheaper?

I've listened to the sound clips and they both sound great!

I have an Acufab and have no drone issues whatsoever.:thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I love the sound of my Ida exhaust. Close your eyes & you'd think you were at Lemans 1966!

Hey, was that your 3000th post Bony? Or is the post counter maxed out at 3000?

Ed

yup, little old post whore me:biggrin

bg5512

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
Bony - Are there many GT's in the Fresno area? I grew up there, but now live near Seattle. My parents still live there and I visit occasionally.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony - Are there many GT's in the Fresno area? I grew up there, but now live near Seattle. My parents still live there and I visit occasionally.

I would say the highest in the USA per capita, how about 13 or 14 that we have identified. Come back home, we miss you:biggrin

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I keep hearing about this Accufab drone thing. I've driven 300 miles in one day at interstate speeds (85-90) and don't know what they are talking about. My Accufab just sounds tremendous at any speed but especially under hard acceleration. I'm considering a Heffner for my other car just because of the tips.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I keep hearing about this Accufab drone thing. I've driven 300 miles in one day at interstate speeds (85-90) and don't know what they are talking about. My Accufab just sounds tremendous at any speed but especially under hard acceleration. I'm considering a Heffner for my other car just because of the tips.

Ah,,, a man cut from the same cloth that appreciate great tips.:cheers :willy :cheers

bg5512

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
I would say the highest in the USA per capita, how about 13 or 14 that we have identified. Come back home, we miss you:biggrin

I'll check in with you the next time I'm there. I'd like to see your car.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'll check in with you the next time I'm there. I'd like to see your car.

Please do:biggrin

GFORCE

GT Owner
Jan 14, 2006
I agree with ED Sims

Got the IDA when i had pulley and ford racing chips and ect.It sounded
great.But now with the big whipple on,its beyond great!