New home for Sonic Blue

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
I wonder how big that blank check was they had to write to get that, and maybe it's a lighting but it looks surprisingly like midnight blue in the pictures. I'm sure it's a sight to see in person.https://www.instagram.com/p/C25Lg9VpUDI/?igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Wonder where it went / who bought it

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Last time I saw it was Carlisle. Sitting inside the building. Some other GT owner started his own car and blew exhaust dung all over it. Doug was furious. The guy who did it did make amends. The drop-off delivery and pick up guy works for Seinfeld as I understand.

Reactions: steved57

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So my memory, which could be flawed, the car was initially at a Toyota dealer, then owned by a group of NYC area GT owners. Was "for sale" for a long time, the ask was $1m. Those more in the know, can chime in, and correct me, if they choose. There are threads and comments here over the years.

Reactions: steved57

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Car was initially sold for charity at the Cattleman's Auction, I think in Dallas. The car went to the Seattle area. A group of three GT owners eventually found it at a dealership in, I think, North Carolina. They purchased the car and stored it. Eventually two owners sold out to Doug and he has kept the car in storage. A true one of one.

Reactions: AJB and Specracer

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Only other paint deviation, was Neil Ressler's, which was midnight blue with silver (not white) stripes. He sold that car at Barrett Jackson ~2019 for $410k.

Reactions: fjpikul and AJB

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The car initially sold at the Cattle Barons Ball in Detroit. I was there and had my paddles ready to bid.
Jim Padilla, Greg Smith and many Ford Motor Executives were present . We also auctioned off a special 2003 Ford / Harley Davidson Anniversary motor cycle . A fatboy
If I recall.
A very memorable evening.
(The very first bid on Sonic Blue was double my max! And it kept growing.
Andy (ajb)

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Looks like it completed the collection wherever it went

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
I think there was a collection like that in Knoxville Tenn.

Never heard of the guy had sold them off.

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
I have seen this vehicle in person. The collector is a very private person who has probably 15 or more GTs in his collection.

All I can say is that it is in the Central Florida area.

Reactions: Fast Freddy