New Heritage owner

maxemus

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 25, 2007
Miami, Florida
We live near Boulder and yep people here are ultra paranoid re: 2013 flood re-lapse....Thankfully we missed it since we moved to Co in June of 2014 (from south Florida).

Ramair
Welcome to the forum and to GT ownership. Whereabouts in south Fla did you live?

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Hi Guys,

I finally pulled the trigger and am the proud new owner of an '06 Heritage GT. Lots of future questions for the experts on here but for now I only have one.

The previous owner said that all Heritage Edition cars were 'hand painted'. Is that true? If so, only for this color schema?

Thanks for any info you may have on this.

PS On these boards, I am listed as 'spectator'. Is there anyway to get listed as 'owner'?

One tip worth repeating I have learned here on this forum is how to start your car. First turn the key to the on position and wait for all of your gauges to cycle on before pushing the start button. On my particular car all the gauges cycle on first and then when the odometer comes on last, then I push the start button. It has been suggested here that this might prevent possible gauge failures in the future as it is an inherent problem with the FGT's.

Rick

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Congrats to your new exciting car, you will surely love it. In fact I love every minute driving it and I love every minute prior driving it. And the value appreciates so how could it be better ?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Welcome to the Forum. Your transport photo gave me a flashback to that same moment for me. Hard to believe that was almost ten years ago.

Chip

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Welcome and congrats. Since no one has said it yet, I'll remind everyone that "you got the fastest color!!!" :wink

All jokes aside, your query re: number is easy. Just go to your local 3M/Xpel/suntek guy (clear bra etc) and ask him to cut you the numbers that you want, in a font and color you want. He could even install them for you if you want. Do note that the front roundel is smaller and so takes a smaller size. And I vaguely seem to recollect that the rear one is also smaller than the sides, but I can't remember for sure. I haven't looked lately, but there's a post in the forum somewhere telling you what size numbers for the roundels. (edit - here it is: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/16762-Heritage-Roundel-Sizes)

What number are you thinking of going with if you ever change it out? You should make it the same as Tony's (twobjshelbys), then you can blame him (or he you) for your alleged transgressions. :lol

Last edited:

Ramair

GT Owner
Mar 23, 2015
Maxemus,

My family and I lived in Miami for 17 years (in the Falls area south of Miami)

Ramair

GT Owner
Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for the number tip Superfly. My favorite number is 7. My wife likes 8, and my 2 kids both want 0 so we shall see. Maybe we will change it every year! :)

ChipBeck, it was surreal. I bit hard to watch him try to get in there and back up. At least it wasnt pouring rain though. The day after I got it it literally rained for 7 days straight. Today was the 1st day with the car on the road, of all places to the Co emissions center. You should have seen the kids faces when i pulled up. Priceless. They were super nice though. Had me in and out within 5 minutes. What a car....I knew it would be an awesome 1st time experience but the unreal steering response is what really floored me (and yes acceleration is astounding but i knew it would be!) And on the way home I had a train crossing (related to my earlier post), so while waiting I turned on the stereo. Holy Shhhniikeees! I figured who cared about stereo but that thing has to rival top shelf in home systems. Clear and powerful.

Great 1st day out that's for sure. :)

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Be super careful driving in the rain as it can get away from you. No traction control (yea man). Also when driving on multi lane highways try to avoid driving in a lane next to an 18 wheeler as they can't see you if you're in their blind spot as you're down so low.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Since we were talking about tires in a parallel thread, let me bring that over here too.

Check the date codes on your tires. Are they Goodyears or Bridgestones? Tire rubber hardens with age and will give less traction. If they are old and hard, go have fun doing burnouts with them!

Be damn careful about putting your foot into the throttle in a turn--you'll find youreself going sideways into a spin very quickly. I strongly recommend that you go to a LARGE parking lot and drive it around in circles and figure 8's, getting on and off the throttle, sliding, spinning, and catching it, to build up your understanding of how the car handles, and developing the muscle memory and reflexes to adjust if it starts to slide or spin. Paradoxically, hard tires are better for this because they break traction earlier and softer.

One other recommendation: Get clear film paint protector installed pronto.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
Sliding around in parking lots? I grew up in southern Illinois and we couldn't wait for a light snow as we'd go to the high school parking lot and learn how to drive on a deserted weekend. No parking curbs on 90% of a huge lot back then.

Usually the last four numbers on a tire will give you the build date. First two are the month of the year, last two are the year in the decade. I wouldn't push them past 5 years as I believe that to be current wisdom, correct me if I'm wrong. A lot of guys are migrating to the Bridgestone Potenza for cost savings over the stock tire.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
First two are the week.

RickH

GT Owner
Mar 5, 2015
Florida
First two are the week.

I stand corrected and I believe you are right. Are you on the west coast of Fl ? Guess I could look on the map.