New GT Enclosed trailer!!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Unless you've pulled the car down completely on its suspension, I'm not sure I like that arrangement, as it appears that some side slippage can occur with the belts in line with the wheels. I would prefer to cross strap the rears, going to the e-tracks on the opposite sides.
You don't ever pull the car down on the suspension.

Cross strapping the rear is difficult because of the diffuser. Cross strapping the front is easy through the wheels.

Cross strapping with around the tire straps isn't possible. But, cinched down around the tire to e-track... the car is not going to move even if the trailer rolls over.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
....cinched down around the tire to e-track... the car is not going to move even if the trailer rolls over.

:agree:

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
A slightly different take on loading if you don't have e-track. My trailer has 2" square aluminum bars that slide in a track.

Once you get your tongue weight correct (250-300 lbs), you slide the bars against the front tires and lock them down. That way, assuming you carry about the same amount of other stuff all the time, you simply drive against the stops and the load is balanced. Correct weight on the tongue is what keeps the trailer from swaying.

Then, with brake off and in neutral, snug the front ratchet straps as tight as you can pulling the tires against the bars. Finally, snug the rear ratchet straps. That car ain't moving no matter what.

5D3_10517.jpg

Pulling the suspension down (unless you pull it down all the way and who is going to try that?) can result in strap tension alternately loosening and tightening as the car moves vertically. Strapping the tires, wheels, or lower control arms keeps the strap tension the same no matter how bumpy the road.

Last edited:

rubbinisracing

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2015
Those enclosed trailers with large escape doors are nice. Cars like the GT that are best secured with straps over the wheels are still difficult to get the straps over and secured on the side without the escape door. I have three trailers that I use to move my cars, a 24' Pace with a small escape door, a 48' Featherlite with no escape doors and a 26' Drop-N-Load Maxey open trailer. All have e-track and d-rings. When I was at Barrett-Jackson this year I saw an Intech trailer with the RailRyder system installed. I had it installed in my 48" Featherlite. It was a little spendy, but worth the investment. You tie the car(s) down outside the trailer while on the dollys and then winch them in.

www.railryder.com

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
When I was at Barrett-Jackson this year I saw an Intech trailer with the RailRyder system installed. I had it installed in my 48" Featherlite. It was a little spendy, but worth the investment. You tie the car(s) down outside the trailer while on the dollys and then winch them in.

www.railryder.com

That system is one first rate 'issue remover' alright. 'VERY clever. :thumbsup:thumbsup

'Any idea how much extra weight the system adds to a trailer in its single or double configuration?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Once you get your tongue weight correct (250-300 lbs)

That seems to be a little light although it may (through experience) be working for your car/trailer combination.

Rule of thumb is that tongue weight should be 8-10% of overall trailer +car weight. It's important as the #1 cause of trailer "swaying" is too light of a tongue weight.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That seems to be a little light although it may (through experience) be working for your car/trailer combination.

Rule of thumb is that tongue weight should be 8-10% of overall trailer +car weight. It's important as the #1 cause of trailer "swaying" is too light of a tongue weight.

Yes, your rule of thumb may be best depending on the trailer. I should have said 250-300 "in my case." The Trailex guys said their trailers pull true with much less than 8-10%. They recommended 250 for my rig, which is about 5% of the 5,500 lb load. So yeah...use a percentage of total weight for tongue weight. For sure a steel trailer is going to need a lot more tongue weight than an aluminum trailer. As is a trailer with a less well sorted chassis and/or higher center of gravity.

My tow vehicle is an SUV without leveling suspension, so the low tongue weight is nice. No sagging rear.

Last edited:

rubbinisracing

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2015
I don't recall the weight but is wasn't heavy. Everything but the fasteners and winch are aluminum.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
It's important as the #1 cause of trailer "swaying" is too light of a tongue weight.

'Gospel.

I darned near learned that the hard way towing my DeLorean for the 1st time. 'Loaded it onto the trailer nose first instead of tail first. 'Found out real fast that one just doesn't do that when pulling a rear engine car on a single-car trailer...at least on one with the 'balance' and the suspension that particular trailer had. :facepalm:

I don't recall the weight but is wasn't heavy. Everything but the fasteners and winch are aluminum.

'Copy that. Given its benefits, whatever it weighs doesn't really matter all that much anyway. :wink

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
OK ....... I'll be the first to ask a dumb question........how do you tell how much tongue weight you have - without going to a weigh station?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
OK ....... I'll be the first to ask a dumb question........how do you tell how much tongue weight you have - without going to a weigh station?
Many RV and trailer sales and service shops can do it. Or, you can spend a bunch for your own scale. http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Or, if you are handy, you can make a lever arm for a bathroom scale.

EDIT: Here's an easy DIY method: http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/index.html

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Many RV and trailer sales and service shops can do it. Or, you can spend a bunch for your own scale. http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Or, if you are handy, you can make a lever arm for a bathroom scale.

'Friend of mine still has an old-style butcher shop 'meat scale' he set up for that purpose that we used to use...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I used my corner weight scales, they are rated at 1500lbs each.

Johnneymax

GT Owner
Oct 31, 2011
New Jersey
Jimglo Trailers

I have used a Jimglo trailer for the last four years. Recently made round trip from NJ to the Texas mile. It tows very well and has a great side entry feature.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 88