New GT boost problem....

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
I just wanted to share that the problem with my cars boost is NOT the blower. Thanks to a VERY kind and generous member of this forum, we switched blowers today, only to find his blower made the EXACT same boost as mine. SO, the problem MUST be a bad gasket in the intake or intercooler. Theres NO other possible place for the boost to be leaking... The car has had this problem since brand new. It now has 250 miles on it.... weird huh? THANKS AGAIN BONY !!! YOURE THE MAN!!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hello Glenn,
I really feel for you, I know what you have spent trying to ascertain what is wrong. What I don't understand is why this entire issue is not a warranty problem. At the worst you might have done a dyno pull and take the results to the dealer and demanded them to resolve the issue. Please keep us posted.
Cheers from Indy,
Daniel

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Did you check the supercharger bypass solenoid and valve? If they are stuck in bypass mode you would lose boost.

From the service manual:

At partial-throttle opening or when vacuum is present in the intake system, a vacuum-controlled bypass valve reroutes some discharged air from the supercharger back to the intake plenum. This prevents the supercharger from cavitating, causing reduced performance, increased temperatures, and poor fuel economy.

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
dealers and warrantee...

Daniel, I guess I didnt explain well the problems I have with the dealer solving this. 1) Im afraid that since the car is not totally stock, they may NOT want to warrantee whats wrong. 2) Without them having an actual dyno, and not knowing ANYTHING about dynos, im concerned that I would be wasting my time trying to convince them that there was EVEN a problem. 3) Im VERY concerned that the dealer has a mechanic that I would trust working on this car. ( considering driving a car at over 200mph, means I NEED to trust who works on it ) 4) Jeff at Precision Autosports in Dayton Ohio, has proved to be a mechanic that I TRUST. Although yes its costing me, I would rather pay him to fix it right, then have things done wrong for free. 5) I guess my last problem is just I dont feel comfortable leaving my car at a dealer for several days or longer, while people surround the car everyday looking at it, and maybe messing with the car. That may sound too anal to you, but I just dont trust leaving a car like this at a dealer. Little things can happen that would just NEVER be explained... SO, sorry for being so long-winded...but thats it.... This car is MORE then just a car to me, and dropping it off at a dealer is just something I would HATE to do and ONLY want to do as a last resort.
Thanks again Bony... I owe ya big time.... take care....

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
black ice...

YES... we checked the bypass valve and even adjusted it and zip tied it shut once... that wasnt it. THEN, we switched the entire BLOWER, (including the valve and solenoid) and the car did the EXACT same thing.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I guess my last problem is just I dont feel comfortable leaving my car at a dealer for several days or longer, while people surround the car everyday looking at it, and maybe messing with the car... I just dont trust leaving a car like this at a dealer. Little things can happen that would just NEVER be explained... This car is MORE then just a car to me, and dropping it off at a dealer is just something I would HATE to do and ONLY want to do as a last resort.

AMEN X 10,000 ...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Daniel, I guess I didnt explain well the problems I have with the dealer solving this. 1) Im afraid that since the car is not totally stock, they may NOT want to warrantee whats wrong. 2) Without them having an actual dyno, and not knowing ANYTHING about dynos, im concerned that I would be wasting my time trying to convince them that there was EVEN a problem. 3) Im VERY concerned that the dealer has a mechanic that I would trust working on this car. ( considering driving a car at over 200mph, means I NEED to trust who works on it ) 4) Jeff at Precision Autosports in Dayton Ohio, has proved to be a mechanic that I TRUST. Although yes its costing me, I would rather pay him to fix it right, then have things done wrong for free. 5) I guess my last problem is just I dont feel comfortable leaving my car at a dealer for several days or longer, while people surround the car everyday looking at it, and maybe messing with the car. That may sound too anal to you, but I just dont trust leaving a car like this at a dealer. Little things can happen that would just NEVER be explained... SO, sorry for being so long-winded...but thats it.... This car is MORE then just a car to me, and dropping it off at a dealer is just something I would HATE to do and ONLY want to do as a last resort.
Thanks again Bony... I owe ya big time.... take care....

Glenn,
Mods can't impact the warranty unless they are related to the isssue. What mods did you do? If you don't want to post here, email me, perhaps we can back channel you at Ford?
Good luck.
God Bless America,
daniel

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Glenn,

I'm assuming that one of the reasons that you have posted two threads about this problem is that you are interested in getting some feedback and help.

That said, based on reading both threads, there's nothing to me that suggests that there *IS* a problem at all. Please understand that I'm just trying to help and I know you're going through all of this trouble to swap blowers, etc., but I still don't understand the *problem*.

It seems that you are chasing a symptom where boost pressure tails off a little bit (2-3psi) at the upper rpms. First point, I'm not even convinced that this would be abnormal and could be the fault of the way you are measuring. Do you have ANY evidence that your GT is different than anyone elses? This could be accomplished by getting another GT and hooking it up the same way you are today for measurement. If you ask me to bet between a fault in the GT compared to the method used to measure.... I'd be looking at your measurement.

To further the point, it seems you are looking for a physical escape route for the boost pressure (bad gasket, crack, etc.). First, I think the odds are low (haven't heard of that problem in any other GTs) and second, a physical one-way leak is really unlikely. (I believe that if you had a leak under vacuum you'd know by now due to irratic idling conditions if nothing else.)

I offer this constructively - and again with the assumption that you are seeking help from the forum. If true, can you please tell us more about the symptoms and what, if any, evidence that you have that the symptoms are unique??

Best regards.

gbvetracer

GT Owner
Jan 25, 2007
Please give your comments.... i hear ya...

As far as the idea that maybe the measuring methodolgy could be flawed... Unless we did as YOU said and had another GT to dyno using the exact same equipment, we wont know for sure. (unless we pull the intake and see a bad gasket) The thing is here is that Jeff has worked on hundreds of cobras and cars with similar blowers and has seen MANY of the boost curves and performance of the boosts in other cars, and HE doesnt like what hes seeing. Im going with HIS experience telling him that somethings wrong comparing the car to all the others he worked on. BUT your correct in that unless we have another GT in HIS shop to test, we CANT know for sure. We are seeing two problems: low boost, and a non-smooth boost curve. BOTH of these problems are NOT what weve seen on other FGT's that have measured boost on similar dynos. SO, until we pull the intake and find a problem... were all just guessing at this point... THANK YOU for your comments...

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
How are you measuring boost?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Here is a post that shows a boost charts on a pullied GT. It seems the the boost falls off about 3800 from 14psi to 12 psi. Maybe belt slip?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4980&page=3&highlight=Dyno+Dynamics

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Glenn,
Tell us about your dyno pulls in great detail, including info on the dyno.
cheers from Indy,
daniel