New Exhaust Sound Measurement

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
OK...I have the Kinetics Exhaust with the baffles and I think it is about right in the sound department. Today, I drove into an enclosed parking garage and promptly began setting off car alarms. On the way in about 4 or 5 went off. (I parked on the roof so I drove all the levels)

On the way out I dialed up the sound a bit and set off 8 to 10.

Consider yourselves challenged. Let's see what the Borla's and Accufabs can do!
Don

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
ALL Right.... We have a new calibration technique! :lol

Kinetics = 8-10 Car Alarms at 3K RPM, 4-5 Car Alarms at 2k RPM, correct? :lol

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Errrr...Don....respectfully...is that really our goal?

I thought the gold standard being sought was:

a. Deep aggressive sound
b. Absolutely no drone
c. A non-infringing sound (commands respect, not ear protection)
d. Something that befits the car

(A Viper with a Corsa Track sounded like a UPS truck...louder was not better)

- doc

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Don, I'm looking forward to seeing you and hearing your new sound tomorrow.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Doc,

It sounds like these guys are posting a little humor. I agree with your parameters and that is what I will be seeking. My biggest fear is not being about to run Laguna Seca at the 90 limit.

We need to get good descriptions from folks attending the rally so we can make a more informed decision.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Car Alarms

Opps, sorry Dad, I mean Doc. I know it was wrong of me to set off the car alarms when my original mission was the four steps of Ford GT sound improvement that you have taught me. I know that my childish actions were unbefitting a GT owner.

BUT I COULD NOT HELP MYSELF AND I AM GOING TO DO IT AGAIN!!!

On a more constructive and mature note. My GT with the Kinetics Exhaust and no baffles produced the following:
IDLE= 87 DECIBELS
2000= 95 DECIBELS
3000= 95 DECIBELS
4000= 102 DECIBELS
5000= 105 DECIBELS

I am going to try the same test this weekend and will post the results with the baffles.

Don

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Don,

How were those measurements taken? Inside or outside the car? If outside, at what approximate distance?.

Eric

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Also, beside distance, at what position, i.e., at the side of the car, straight behind the car, etc. And how measured, A weighted, etc.

Thanks

I wonder if anyone is going to be able to take some measurements for us at the rally.

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
Decibel Measurements

These sound levels were taken on the Kinetics without baffles. The meter was held at a level of three feet high, positioned 10 behind the car.

I have the meter and will take it to the rally with me. I will try to get another set of readings on Saturday with the new baffles installed.

Let me know if there are some readings I can get for you at the Rally or if there is something you want a picture of and I will try to get it.

Don

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Tungsten said:
These sound levels were taken on the Kinetics without baffles. The meter was held at a level of three feet high, positioned 10 behind the car.

I have the meter and will take it to the rally with me. I will try to get another set of readings on Saturday with the new baffles installed.

Let me know if there are some readings I can get for you at the Rally or if there is something you want a picture of and I will try to get it.

Don
Don,

If you are able to get comparative readings on the different exhausts available, that would be a great help to those of us that want to make a buying decision based on sound levels. As long as you measure each system from the same relative location, we would have a good comparison. But if you were able to measure from another place, like Laguna Seca's 50 ft. from the side, I think it would be even more meaningful. I'll owe you a dinner if you come to Las Vegas. :thumbsup

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
I will do it!

Bart,
We are putting as many of the exhaust choices as there are at the rally side by side. DBK is going to video them and we will take decibel readings as well for comparison.

As for Laguna, I have never been there but seeing it on TV makes you want to be there.

We can try to get some drive bt readings as well. I think most of the exhaust replacement tubes will have a similar level of decibel and sound. But, this test should tell the tale.

Don

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Doc... does your wife drive the GT now that the Mamba is gone?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Awsum GT:

She likes the GT much better than the Viper, but she does not drive it very often.

By the way, our son still has your Comp Coupe poster on his wall. We all really loved that car.

Hope you are doing well.

- doc

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Laguna sound

Bart Carter said:
Doc,

It sounds like these guys are posting a little humor. I agree with your parameters and that is what I will be seeking. My biggest fear is not being about to run Laguna Seca at the 90 limit.

We need to get good descriptions from folks attending the rally so we can make a more informed decision.

Bart - I believe the sound for open tracks at Laguna Seca is 92 db. And, it is measured up hill in the morning (cool & foggy) so the conditions are not good for a non-stock exhaust GT. My Ida exhaust GT is easily over 92 db. Mt friend's stock Viper with side exhausts is over 92 db as measured at Laguna in the AM. They won't allow you to putt past the sound measuring station also. I'll have to drive at Sears Pt & Thunderhill. Be prepared to spectate at Laguna with a non-stock GT. Sorry.

Ed

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I use to race at Laguna Seca in a Viper with very loud exhaust... way past 92. When I got to the area with the sound mic, I upshifted until I was past it and then downshifted before the top of the hill and the next turn. It worked ok as long as there was no traffic behind me.

Doc... all is well so far. Still dealing with the tears in the retina but seems to be holding. Back has never been the same after the wall in the Cork Screw at Laguna and I met. Ribs all healed but the back keeps bothering me now and then.

I loved the Comp Coupe. It was one hot car... but I love the GT much more. It's a real keeper. Can't wait to add the MaClaren/Viper to the Viper Pit in 2008. Keeping the blue white SRT-10 C 008 of 200 though. It's my 8th Viper... Hope to get 009 of the McClaren/Viper. That won't be easy.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Why do they have a 92 db limit at Laguna Seca? Do all tracks have some sort of sound limit?

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Awsum GT:

Have you changed the exhaust on your GT? Interesting (and important) to hear/know that you prefer your GT to that incredible Comp Coupe.

(Glad to hear about the retinas; sorry to hear about your continuing spinal problems...did the same thing in a diving accident, then doing leg presses... then catching a falling Harley; makes getting into and out of the GT a bit of a challenge).

Also good to hear that you plan to keep the GT. Same with us; we shall just add on. Currently looking for a grocery getter, perhaps a Shelby or Z06; will get a Gen IV Viper (ideally from Buhler) in 2008.

BTW: Wife still has those photos of you driving your CC....on the street...what a day that must have been (whoops! is that safe to say? I think the statute of limitations has lapsed).

- doc

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
piccola said:
Why do they have a 92 db limit at Laguna Seca? Do all tracks have some sort of sound limit?

Originally Laguna was on Army property, I have pictures you would not believe of the great days and narrow track. Now homes border the track and the residents want to hear birds chriping... same issue many tracks are having.

Laguna has five noise unlimited events a year, maybe six. But that is it.
Lots of vintage racing events demand mufflers.....ugh :bs :thumbsdow :bs

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
Thanks for the posts guys. I guess I will have to run Laguna Seca before I change exhausts. :ack

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
It really stinks. The track was there way before any homes were and they knew it was there. They move in and then decide they want it quieter. Give me a break. Why the heck did they build and/or move there in the first place knowing there was a race track next door.

Bart: There are a few events there during the year you can join in on. One is the Green Flag Driving Association

Doc: I would have never driven that kind of car on the street. That was a race car! What I like about the GT over the CC is that you can drive on the street and it looks awesome. The Comp Coupe was also awesome but all I could do was look at it most of the time. Getting to a track takes a lot of time and prep. It will not go away any time soon. I also love the new blue white SRT-10 C Viper. It replaces my 96 GTS blue white I totaled in the cork screw a ferw years back. I have always loved this color combo. I will be keeping the 2006 SRT-10 C also.