New crate engine

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Yes, I've seen that same story in my area. Good custom body and paint is VERY hard to find, and when you do, it's a year waiting list to get it done.

That said, I'm starting to get respect for Caliber Collision. They do mostly insurance repairs, however, they are a big enough national chain that they can afford the best equipment, command deep discounts on supplies, and train their own staff. One thing insurance companies really want to avoid is pissed off customers who demand "re-do's" because the work wasn't good quality the first time, and who will hire the law firms that are focusing on reduced value claims. State insurance commissions have also cracked down on the sleazier insurance company practices and many have passed laws that prohibit insurers from requiring customers to use their specified contractors.

I've seen very good paint from Caliber. Whereas, I've seen really bad work from local independent collision repair places.

Reactions: Nafod

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I am surprised to hear that. They came into St Louis and bought up 8 or 9 body shops. One was the place I have used for years. Seems like a lot of good body shop guys quit. I still use them cause the manager gets it done right.

Reactions: dshears

saleenrose

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2013
I've had a independent body shop that I have used for years for minor repairs, he also knows I am picky. He pissed me off when he referred a customer we sent him to another shop. So he's out. I am now using the custom shop who painted the Camaro for minor stuff. It's hard, the GT has a spot I want fixed and it's been a year. Friday I repaired one of his cars, I offered his wife cash to get it in, he now promises me he will do it. Not as they used to be.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
When I was a kid growing up in the 70’s, if you wanted your paint (lacquer paint and lead filler predominantly) done correctly, you took it to the Cadillac dealer.

Of course the 40 year old craftsmen weren’t going to live much longer, but they knew how to get something straight, match paint and fit body panels.

Man have times changed.