New Coilover Option

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
There is another coilover option for the FGT!

I teamed up with Fortune Auto to develop a street-oriented coilover for the FGT under my company (reidperformance.com). I have been testing these over the past 7 months and thousands of miles through just about every type of road and outside temp imaginable to both test and dial these in. Now they are available for anyone needing a suspension refresh. Before reading further, these are not track oriented like Penske or a luxurious option like Scott's Ohlins.

The purpose was to have a coilover which reduced the roll and dive of the OEM suspension but still be compliant for the road and be easy to adjust both ride height and damper settings for the average owner. The ride is more firm than stock but very manageable, think 911 Carrera vs. GT3. If anyone has had the joy of adjusting the KW V3 damper settings, you understand the importance of a user friendly coilover adjustment. These have a single adjustable damper (one control for both compression and rebound) at the top of the body that is twisted by hand. They are the only coilover for the FGT which have ride height adjustability from both spring load and an adjustable coilover body length so the ride height can be changed independent of spring load.

These are available through both me and Rich (GT Guy).

General Info:
- Fortune Dampers with 24 levels of adjustment
- One-way adjustable compression and rebound design
- Two-way upgrade with remote canister available upon request.
- Ride Height Range: OEM height down to a loose 1 finger gap
- Lower ride height available upon request.
- Lightweight Aluminum Components
- Fully Rebuildable
- AMSoil Synthetic Shock Oil
- Swift Springs
- Easy Installation & Instructions Included
- Built/Assembled in the US
- Build time range from 6-9 weeks

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Cool. Thanks for doing this. Now we have choices.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Any choice in color?

Reactions: white out

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
nice to see options available. Your car looks great at a "loose single finger".

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Any choice in color?
The upper spring perches and lower locking collars will be a darker blue. As for springs, I cannot make any custom colors but have accounts with other reputable spring manufacturers and can see if there are any options that suit your needs.

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Adjusting the rear spring load, height and damper settings has to be the easiest of any car ever.

Attachments

• IMG_6706.jpg
    IMG_6706.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Do you have a price available yet?

rnkma4

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2014
Santa Clarita
There is another coilover option for the FGT!

I teamed up with Fortune Auto to develop a street-oriented coilover for the FGT under my company (reidperformance.com). I have been testing these over the past 7 months and thousands of miles through just about every type of road and outside temp imaginable to both test and dial these in. Now they are available for anyone needing a suspension refresh. Before reading further, these are not track oriented like Penske or a luxurious option like Scott's Ohlins.

The purpose was to have a coilover which reduced the roll and dive of the OEM suspension but still be compliant for the road and be easy to adjust both ride height and damper settings for the average owner. The ride is more firm than stock but very manageable, think 911 Carrera vs. GT3. If anyone has had the joy of adjusting the KW V3 damper settings, you understand the importance of a user friendly coilover adjustment. These have a single adjustable damper (one control for both compression and rebound) at the top of the body that is twisted by hand. They are the only coilover for the FGT which have ride height adjustability from both spring load and an adjustable coilover body length so the ride height can be changed independent of spring load.

These are available through both me and Rich (GT Guy).

General Info:
- Fortune Dampers with 24 levels of adjustment
- One-way adjustable compression and rebound design
- Two-way upgrade with remote canister available upon request.
- Ride Height Range: OEM height down to a loose 1 finger gap
- Lower ride height available upon request.
- Lightweight Aluminum Components
- Fully Rebuildable
- AMSoil Synthetic Shock Oil
- Swift Springs
- Made In USA
- Easy Installation & Instructions Included
- Build time range from 6-9 weeks
What is the pricing?

Thanks,

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
What is the pricing?

Thanks,
Do you have a price available yet?
The set is $5k including shipping in the US.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
white out: I see the spring perch collars are threaded and split, then screwed together to lock them. Good design. I've had a bunch of shocks with threaded collars that got permanently seized because of aluminum on aluminum corrosion.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Kudos for bringing another shock alternative to the Ford GT community. It's great for owners to have choices and different price points. However, your use of the term "Made in the USA" is inaccurate. These are shocks comprised of Chinese-manufactured components and which are (presumably) assembled in the USA. You will not see "Made in the USA" in any of their materials - but rather a clever marketing department trying hard for that implication. Perhaps fine for the Civic/Accord/Toyota crowd... but kinda odd on "The One".

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
Kudos for bringing another shock alternative to the Ford GT community. It's great for owners to have choices and different price points. However, your use of the term "Made in the USA" is inaccurate. These are shocks comprised of Chinese-manufactured components and which are (presumably) assembled in the USA. You will not see "Made in the USA" in any of their materials - but rather a clever marketing department trying hard for that implication. Perhaps fine for the Civic/Accord/Toyota crowd... but kinda odd on "The One".
The coilovers are built in the US (Virginia) and each set comes with a certificate of who built it and on which date. On more than one occasion I have sent dampers to them for re-valving and had same day turnaround. I do not see the need to inquire on where each individual component is from (bolts, bushings, dust boots, pistons, seals, rods, etc.).
The Swift springs are made in Japan. Hyperco springs (made in IN & MS) are available upon request.

These are not one of the built in Taiwan brands (BC, Silvers, etc.).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As I said, your description of "Made in the USA" is indeed FALSE.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, “Made in USA” means that “all or virtually all” the product has been made in America. That is, all significant parts, ...

These are not one of the built in Taiwan brands (BC, Silvers, etc.).

And yes, you are wrong about this as well... Taiwan is where the components for Fortune shocks are manufactured.

I'm not necessarily saying that this solution is either good or bad, but I take exception of misrepresenting where these components are made and especially the characterization of Made in the USA - when they clearly are not.

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
As I said, your description of "Made in the USA" is indeed FALSE.

According to the Federal Trade Commission, “Made in USA” means that “all or virtually all” the product has been made in America. That is, all significant parts, ...
Updated the description so there is no confusion.
And yes, you are wrong about this as well... Taiwan is where the components for Fortune shocks are manufactured.

I'm not necessarily saying that this solution is either good or bad, but I take exception of misrepresenting where these components are made and especially the characterization of Made in the USA - when they clearly are not.
The coilovers are not built in Taiwan, they are built in Virginia.

For anyone questioning where and how these are built, here is a video showcasing both:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Big difference between "Made in the USA" and "Assembled in the USA" (from components manufactured elsewhere).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The coilovers are not built in Taiwan, they are built in Virginia.
The components are MANUFACTURED in Taiwan, and are ASSEMBLED in Virginia. Again, this is a very "creative" company with a good marketing department which skews the statements such that the impressions are that this is a Made in USA company - but which is not. In short, it is very similar to BC, Silvers, etc.... except for the claim that assembly is done in the US.

Reactions: twobjshelbys

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
We have been helping with this project for a while now and glad to finally see it out. I have a few sets on order already.
This is just another option to help keep our beloved GTs on the road.

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011
The components are MANUFACTURED in Taiwan, and are ASSEMBLED in Virginia. Again, this is a very "creative" company with a good marketing department which skews the statements such that the impressions are that this is a Made in USA company - but which is not. In short, it is very similar to BC, Silvers, etc.... except for the claim that assembly is done in the US.
We get it, you do not like the coilovers Fortune and I developed.

You are clearly making statements without any basis as these and BC have nothing in common.

Last edited:
Reactions: roketman

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Play nice!! I applaud the effort
Now if you get headlights out of Taiwan !!!
I’m in!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
We get it, you do not like the coilovers Fortune and I developed.

Yeah, you're right. I think boy-racer Honda Civic targeted, Chinese-made coil overs have no business on a Ford GT - and I would never install them on a car of this caliber. We do have standards.

Lots of smart, successful people here and each can make their own decisions about the components they choose to install on their car.