New car inventory

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Decided to throw in the towel on my '06 Competition package M3, a 17,000 mile gem, but couldn't drive it in winter, and with my older son now driving, I was running out of garage and driveway space. So, I swapped it for an '06 Cayenne S that I thought my wife wanted, which she has now decided she doesn't (don't ask). Be that as it may, I like the Cayenne, although it does use a lot of fuel, but I can drive it in thewinter months, and park it when I drive the GT. However, after looking at the price of new ones, especially the '09 Turbo S, which with 550 HP starts @ about $125Gs, I decided to look at a couple of local dealers and see what their inventory was on the Cayenne in general. I found 2 Chicagoland dealers with 20+ in inventory now, another with 40+ on the grounds. If I'm not mistaken, that's a TON of expensive iron to have sitting on the lot in this kind of biz climate. These start @ about $55 large with the 6 and go to $140ish with the Turbo S and all the goodies. Either these dealers are very optimistic, are impervious to the current market, or are just plain stupid.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
time will tell

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
djs,

I went through the same thinking on the purchase of a Cayenne a year ago. I’m a big Porsche fan with my fourth 911 now in the garage so I started looking at one to two year-old Turbo S’s that dealers had on their lots. I found that in October 2007 a new 2006 Cayenne Turbo S with a $120K sticker could be had for about $85K (with some negotiating). I however opted for a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8 and couldn’t be happier. It is faster than a Cayenne Turbo (the 6.1 liter Hemi is fantastic), has a stainless steel Borla exhaust, Brembo brakes and magnificent one-piece aluminum wheels. I personally think it looks much better than a Cayenne and it only costs about $42K (with some negotiating) and it’s made in the USA. Is it as well made as the Porsche? No. However you should test drive one as they are great value and worth a look.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
djs,

I went through the same thinking on the purchase of a Cayenne a year ago. I’m a big Porsche fan with my fourth 911 now in the garage so I started looking at one to two year-old Turbo S’s that dealers had on their lots. I found that in October 2007 a new 2006 Cayenne Turbo S with a $120K sticker could be had for about $85K (with some negotiating). I however opted for a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT 8 and couldn’t be happier. It is faster than a Cayenne Turbo (the 6.1 liter Hemi is fantastic), has a stainless steel Borla exhaust, Brembo brakes and magnificent one-piece aluminum wheels. I personally think it looks much better than a Cayenne and it only costs about $42K (with some negotiating) and it’s made in the USA. Is it as well made as the Porsche? No. However you should test drive one as they are great value and worth a look.

ya and they jump out of the hole pretty fast, just ask DoctorV8:biggrin in a drag race on the track he was behind the jeep for well over half of the track before he cought up to pass it at the end.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
ya and they jump out of the hole pretty fast, just ask DoctorV8:biggrin in a drag race on the track he was behind the jeep for well over half of the track before he cought up to pass it at the end.

Yea. My Jeep is significantly faster than my Porsche 997 C4S Cab!

Rob

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I did look in briefly at the Jeep, but I wasn't really looking for anything special/unique. I was trying to find a winter quality vehicle, and that meant something had to go, and unfortunately, that was the BMW. I loved the M3, but truth be known, the GT is a LOT easier car to drive. I had an '02 M5 before the M3, and the performance difference was nominal, at least in my opinion. The M5 was heavier and felt like it. It probably had a little better acceleration above, say 80 mph, but the M3 handled better, drank a ton less fuel, and in my opinion was a much better balanced car. The problem is, once I finally got the GT, everything else got put on the truck. The BMW's clutch was heavier than the Ford. It is a more finicky car as far as drivability and drivetrain. So when the time came, and garage space went to a premium, the M3 had to (reluctantly) go. But the real issue for me in this whole process, is how absolutely nuts the various dealers are on used car valuations (even their own brand). I know these cars drop like a rock out of a window once they are titled, but the disparity between what the dealers offer on their own product in trade value, and then the bullsh!t lines they spout when one sees the car for sale on their lot is beyond belief. I have no problem with the dealer needing a 15-20% spread on a used car to give them some wiggle room when reselling the trade, but most of these dealers are looking at close to a 50% markdown on the trade/wholesale bid, vs what they put the car on the lot at. I heard more wacky excuses in the last two weeks than you can imagine. I know the car biz is in disarray because of the current climate, but you had to hear some of this crap to believe it. That's why I was so surprised at the # of Cayennes on the lots at a few of the dealers. In questioning trade values vs purchase prices, it was funny to catch them in their garbage of trade in and wholesale value, especially when there where numerous models at other dealers stuck with too much inventory. I guess what I would have preferred is the various dealers just coming out and saying "I've got too much inventory, I don't want your trade, you're better off selling it on your own, and here's my best price on the model you might want." I suppose that's too much to ask for, but with biz the way it is, it may actually happen.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I did look in briefly at the Jeep, but I wasn't really looking for anything special/unique. I was trying to find a winter quality vehicle, and that meant something had to go, and unfortunately, that was the BMW. I loved the M3, but truth be known, the GT is a LOT easier car to drive. I had an '02 M5 before the M3, and the performance difference was nominal, at least in my opinion. The M5 was heavier and felt like it. It probably had a little better acceleration above, say 80 mph, but the M3 handled better, drank a ton less fuel, and in my opinion was a much better balanced car. The problem is, once I finally got the GT, everything else got put on the truck. The BMW's clutch was heavier than the Ford. It is a more finicky car as far as drivability and drivetrain. So when the time came, and garage space went to a premium, the M3 had to (reluctantly) go. But the real issue for me in this whole process, is how absolutely nuts the various dealers are on used car valuations (even their own brand). I know these cars drop like a rock out of a window once they are titled, but the disparity between what the dealers offer on their own product in trade value, and then the bullsh!t lines they spout when one sees the car for sale on their lot is beyond belief. I have no problem with the dealer needing a 15-20% spread on a used car to give them some wiggle room when reselling the trade, but most of these dealers are looking at close to a 50% markdown on the trade/wholesale bid, vs what they put the car on the lot at. I heard more wacky excuses in the last two weeks than you can imagine. I know the car biz is in disarray because of the current climate, but you had to hear some of this crap to believe it. That's why I was so surprised at the # of Cayennes on the lots at a few of the dealers. In questioning trade values vs purchase prices, it was funny to catch them in their garbage of trade in and wholesale value, especially when there where numerous models at other dealers stuck with too much inventory. I guess what I would have preferred is the various dealers just coming out and saying "I've got too much inventory, I don't want your trade, you're better off selling it on your own, and here's my best price on the model you might want." I suppose that's too much to ask for, but with biz the way it is, it may actually happen.

thats like asking people to be less full of sh** never gona happen.:lol

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"thats like asking people to be less full of sh** never gona happen"

I suppose that's well said...:bored:lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I had the same experience, dealer said 15K on trade. Sold to a easily to private party for 20K. Note that your traded in cost the dealer a lot in cashflow, they have to finance it from day one. On new cars they get a free float from the manufacturer for a month or more.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Had a 2004 Cayenne S for 4 years and 60,000 miles on a lease.

Awesome vehicle. Did many off road trips with it.

Then had a 2006 Commander with 5.7L Hemi. Incredible engine.

Now I have a 2005 LR3. The Land Rover is better all around than either. But the Porsche Cayenne was more fun on the road. The Commander was about equally as fun off road as the Rover.

10462296-M.jpg

IMG_8983-1.jpg

09-23-06_1511.jpg

103025188-M.jpg

IMG_8687copy.jpg

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I've heard that 1-2 year old cars are the toughest for the dealers to sell. If it's used, people want a bargain, and also, the best financing is available on the new.

For example, a brand new e92 new model 2008 BMW M3, these were selling with good discounts, 0.9% financing even now on the Coupe, and a free Spartanburg driving school thrown in. There were 30 of the brand new ones at our local dealer, 10 coupe, 10 sedan and 10 convertibles.

Hard for even a pristine low mileage e46 M3 to compete with that. There are also a lot of e46 M3's out there.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I've heard that 1-2 year old cars are the toughest for the dealers to sell. If it's used, people want a bargain, and also, the best financing is available on the new.

For example, a brand new e92 new model 2008 BMW M3, these were selling with good discounts, 0.9% financing even now on the Coupe, and a free Spartanburg driving school thrown in. There were 30 of the brand new ones at our local dealer, 10 coupe, 10 sedan and 10 convertibles.

Hard for even a pristine low mileage e46 M3 to compete with that. There are also a lot of e46 M3's out there.

damn .9 % financing for an M car, thats amazing makes me want one real bad, especially since I saw a new convertible (hard top) M3 today

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
damn .9 % financing for an M car, thats amazing makes me want one real bad, especially since I saw a new convertible (hard top) M3 today

A lot of Southern Californians could not resist, and have taken the offer.

Rumor is that next year, BMW is shifting some supply away from North America to more profitable markets. So, not sure how long this deal will last. Check it out before year end if interested, the sooner the better for selection.

I was definitely tempted, the e92 is a wonderful car. My last M3 sedan was a 1997, e36, in Estoril Blue.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was contacted by my 'local' salesman (?! - 100 miles away!) about 2 weeks ago who told me I should consider buying an M3 now because they were being offered, "at a modest discount these days." And that has NEVER been the case around here before as far as I know.

soroush: 'convert is NICE...but it's 400 lbs or so heavier! Heavier = not as quick! (If that matters at all 2U of course...:lol)

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I was contacted by my 'local' salesman (?! - 100 miles away!) about 2 weeks ago who told me I should consider buying an M3 now because they were being offered, "at a modest discount these days." And that has NEVER been the case around here before as far as I know.

soroush: 'convert is NICE...but it's 400 lbs or so heavier! Heavier = not as quick! (If that matters at all 2U of course...:lol)

Been looking at the M3 here also. My 335xi is an incredible car ... turbo kit makes about the same Hp and tons more torque. But there is just something about the M3. Probably keep the 335 since I've already taken the hit but ... tempting. When I was at the dealer in Dallas they had 12 M3 coupes in stock and probably as many sedans. That alone was shocking.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Been looking at the M3 here also... When I was at the dealer in Dallas they had 12 M3 coupes in stock and probably as many sedans. That alone was shocking.

I dunno, 592. I visited the BMW dealer in the Scottsdale area last fall and there were about 6-8 new M3's on that lot back THEN. So, I guess it could also be the "allotment" principle at work? (Slow sales pbly could be thee biggest factor right now though, no doubt.)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
A lot of Southern Californians could not resist, and have taken the offer.

Rumor is that next year, BMW is shifting some supply away from North America to more profitable markets. So, not sure how long this deal will last. Check it out before year end if interested, the sooner the better for selection.

I was definitely tempted, the e92 is a wonderful car. My last M3 sedan was a 1997, e36, in Estoril Blue.

Hey Randy Im also a long time BMW fan, had a 97 m3, then a 00 m5, 03 m5, 06 m5 and now have a 07 m5(6speed) but dont tell HHGT cause he will know our true sexual orientation:biggrin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Hey Randy Im also a long time BMW fan, had a 97 m3, then a 00 m5, 03 m5, 06 m5 and now have a 07 m5(6speed) but dont tell HHGT cause he will know our true sexual orientation:biggrin

Don't tell me, you and SYCO are good "pals." :lol

H

HHGT

As long as you don't ask and don't tell...Hard Top & Firm Bottom...:ack:ack:ack

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Sam has tried to skillfully mask his repressed secret love for me and all things BMW, with the carefully orchestrated and regular barrage of attacks on both.

Heheh. Happy Thanksgiving buddy!